Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Best touring car now and class to race in the UK >

Best touring car now and class to race in the UK

Best touring car now and class to race in the UK

Old 06-27-2015, 09:46 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default Best touring car now and class to race in the UK

Thinking about dipping my feet into TC again this year. My attempts at off road was a bit of a failure.

At TC I made a few C finals in 13.5 at BTCC when I last drove - so I can drive OK. I was using a T3'12 back then.

I am thinking of something different - to an Xray, and am considering:

Serpent,
Tamiya 419
Yokomo BD 7
HPI pro 5

Not only that but my electrics don't appear too obsolete - i have an LRP SXXV2, Hobbywing v1 (120 version) and a team orion ESC (hobbywing v2) all at my disposal - I also have a 13.5T nosram motor.

Are my electrics still competitive?

Is 13.5 run both in and outdoor?
Is 17.5 run indoor and outdoor?

thanks
Old 06-27-2015, 11:49 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I'm running a TRF419 and love it. It's a beautiful car that handles well straight out of the box. It also comes with a lot of upgrades that most of the others don't (carbon fibre bumper plate, double jointed drive shafts etc...).

If you want something a bit different perhaps the VBC D07 would be good. MB Models are selling it at a ridiculous price: http://www.rccarshop.co.uk/index.php...g-car-kit.html. I've never driven one but if it drives half as fast as it looks it will be a great car!

As for what class to run, the biggest indoor series (EWS) run 13.5 blinky and open mod. Most outdoor races are open mod, 13.5 open and 17.5 blinky.

I personally find 17.5 blinky a bit too slow and drive 13.5 open, it feels like the right balance. Mod is too quick and I'd be forever replacing parts if I was running in that class.

I've never used the electrics you've got so can't answer that one.
Old 06-28-2015, 07:48 AM
Tech Master

17.5 Blinky and 13.5 boosted are still the main classes in the UK and most of the big events do both indoors and outdoors, some clubs also do 13.5 Blinky. Both are great i would check which your local club runs. Your esc and motor are fine to get racing again, the big difference on newer esc's are drive and brake response but that's just more numbers to play about with.

Out of the cars you list I've had a Yok and the TRF, I preferred the TRF419 and as mentioned before it comes well equipped. They are fast cars, at our club the TRF's usually finish ahead of the X-rays but that's mostly down to luck, and drivers, the lap times are all very close.

I do not know anyone who runs the pro5 (apart from Andy Moore) the Arc is a very nice car, and the VBC is good and at that MB price pretty impressive for the money.

Anyway, all these cars nowadays are good, just go for what tickles your fancy.
Old 06-29-2015, 06:09 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Hi
After been in the UK racing near 5 months I will tell you, go for 13.5T open with a speedo that allows you to go easily to 13.5T blinky. On this way you can race a lot as you will be able to do 2 day nationals, clubmans and btcc for outdoors and on indoors with blinky you will have access to the ews and other series.
Regarding chassis, go for something is common in your area. In my club I am the only one racing Yokomo, but I can have parts easily so I am not very worried.
Cheers
Javier
Old 06-29-2015, 09:03 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Questions about what are best are always open to subjective answers.
In my opinion there are 3 factors you should consider:

1) Get a chassis that others are racing at your local club
Reason is that you will get more help from others with your car when you need it.
Also, running what others are running at your club puts you on the same level as them technically speaking.

2) Get a chassis that has parts readily available and is popular enough that it isn't going to be disconnected (to the best of your knowledge). So many brands come and go, and so many cars are made only to have no support in a year or two.

3) Look at what the top winning drivers at the various world events run. What do the best drivers in the world choose?

That's my advice.
We all have our personal preferences, I have mine, ...but not sure it will help you to tell you what I like.