Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Can a CS-Drift-Ratio setup car, still be able to do High-Speed-Grip driving? >

Can a CS-Drift-Ratio setup car, still be able to do High-Speed-Grip driving?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Can a CS-Drift-Ratio setup car, still be able to do High-Speed-Grip driving?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2015, 01:04 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default Can a CS-Drift-Ratio setup car, still be able to do High-Speed-Grip driving?

I like to do both drift and also high-speed grip driving. But, I'm on a budget and can only afford, and prefer, 1 car.

In the future (after I get much better at 50/50 drift), I'd like to experiment with CS drive ratios for drift. Maybe a CS ratio of around 1.7 (70%) to 2.5 (150%).

I was wondering if it is still possible to do high speed grip driving/racing with CS ratios/setups?? (1.7:1 - 2.5:1), by slapping on some sticky slicks and doing some quick adjustments/alignments (for grip racing).

I know there are RWD grip race cars out there (like Tamiya's F1/Indy/GT cars). So, wouldn't this be possible with some slicks and grip-spec alignment settings?

I'm sure changing all the gears(from a CS'ed setup) back to 50/50, would probably be the best and most ideal to make it grip-worthy again..but that would be a Big hassle and a lot of work/time, just to switch back-and-forth between the 2 driving-styles occasionally. But, Slick tire and alignment changes are realistic, quick and actually feasible though.

What do you think? How will a CS setup car (1.7-2.2 CS ratio) with slick tires and grip alignment settings react for racing and high-speed grip driving?

Will it be out of control, way too much oversteer and twitchy, and uncontrollable?

It can't be That bad, can it?

I mean...there's still RWD F1/GP/GT/Indy cars being used for high-speed grip... right?

Anyone here with a rear-bias drive-ratio (similar to that of CS ratios), using it for high-speed grip racing/driving??? Is this common, or uncommon?

Old 06-24-2015, 01:57 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

I know the old Losi's used to be able to change ratios for overdrive, but it was usually only going from 40t pulley to a 41t pulley, not drastic changes like countersteering.

I don't think it'd work all that well, personally.
Old 06-24-2015, 02:07 PM
Tech Master

The Car cannot do both.
Even if you make the CS car 50/50 the drift car setup will not work well .
I assume that your CS car has a spool in the rear and a One-way in the front The way the weight is distributed you could never even use the Brakes.
If you used a CS car with any rear overdrive and Racing tires the Car would just do donuts and tear itself to pieces.
Old 06-24-2015, 02:32 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jah2000
I like to do both drift and also high-speed grip driving. But, I'm on a budget and can only afford, and prefer, 1 car.

In the future (after I get much better at 50/50 drift), I'd like to experiment with CS drive ratios for drift. Maybe a CS ratio of around 1.7 (70%) to 2.5 (150%).

I was wondering if it is still possible to do high speed grip driving/racing with CS ratios/setups?? (1.7:1 - 2.5:1), by slapping on some sticky slicks and doing some quick adjustments/alignments (for grip racing).

I know there are RWD grip race cars out there (like Tamiya's F1/Indy/GT cars). So, wouldn't this be possible with some slicks and grip-spec alignment settings?

I'm sure changing all the gears(from a CS'ed setup) back to 50/50, would probably be the best and most ideal to make it grip-worthy again..but that would be a Big hassle and a lot of work/time, just to switch back-and-forth between the 2 driving-styles occasionally. But, Slick tire and alignment changes are realistic, quick and actually feasible though.

What do you think? How will a CS setup car (1.7-2.2 CS ratio) with slick tires and grip alignment settings react for racing and high-speed grip driving?

Will it be out of control, way too much oversteer and twitchy, and uncontrollable?

It can't be That bad, can it?

I mean...there's still RWD F1/GP/GT/Indy cars being used for high-speed grip... right?

Anyone here with a rear-bias drive-ratio (similar to that of CS ratios), using it for high-speed grip racing/driving??? Is this common, or uncommon?

Hi!

There could be additional info found here:

http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...ip-racing.html

Regards!
Old 06-24-2015, 02:32 PM
Tech Master

In short it can and has been done.

http://www.rctech.net/forum/10075530-post45.html

But I think you would have to swap around a lot of parts to make it work and have driving skills of Atsushi Hara.
Old 06-24-2015, 02:39 PM
Tech Elite

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by patorz31
In short it can and has been done.

http://www.rctech.net/forum/10075530-post45.html

But I think you would have to swap around a lot of parts to make it work and have driving skills of Atsushi Hara.
Thank you sir!
Old 06-24-2015, 03:09 PM
Tech Master

Give it a try .
You will spend a lot time and money on parts converting the CS car needlessly. The Converted car will never run as well as a Xray T4-15 , Tc6.2 or Even a Tc3.
I would be interested in hearing what happens .
Old 06-24-2015, 03:21 PM
Tech Regular

Cool...thanks for the links. I'll have a read at them.
Old 06-24-2015, 04:16 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Yeah, I remember Hara driving the TC-FD a few years back and winning that race. However, I wonder if his was full blown drift, modded for CS and everything. I don't know what a stock TC-FD is set up to run.
Old 06-24-2015, 04:42 PM
Tech Regular

Oh yeah...forgot to mention, I was Not talking about for one of those out-of-the-box "drift cars."

I was more talking about, already having a normal grip TC (TRF-415/416/417, TA05/6, etc.), but has a CS drift ratio and very mild drift mods/alignment-settings ...then using it occasionally for both drift and grip(as it was meant to be, haha). So, I think it would be easier, possibly...since it is already a grip car to begin with..ya?

I won't be setting it with crazy drift settings with a bunch of front bias weight and oversteer. Just mild drift settings... CS overdrive ratio, maybe even just only a tightened rear diff/LSD, front one-way, spring-rates/sways/camber/toe not too different than grip-settings, and not setup for crazy drift/front bias, etc.

Mainly... I just want to hear opinions about the overdrive-ratios (1.7-2.5:1), and if those ratios can do grip racing.

Wouldn't it be better/easier than say a full-RWD F1/GT/Indy car? At least the CS overdriven cars still have some front drive.

Last edited by Jah2000; 06-24-2015 at 04:59 PM.
Old 06-24-2015, 05:44 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Jah2000
Oh yeah...forgot to mention, I was Not talking about for one of those out-of-the-box "drift cars."

I was more talking about, already having a normal grip TC (TRF-415/416/417, TA05/6, etc.), but has a CS drift ratio and very mild drift mods/alignment-settings ...then using it occasionally for both drift and grip(as it was meant to be, haha). So, I think it would be easier, possibly...since it is already a grip car to begin with..ya?

I won't be setting it with crazy drift settings with a bunch of front bias weight and oversteer. Just mild drift settings... CS overdrive ratio, maybe even just only a tightened rear diff/LSD, front one-way, spring-rates/sways/camber/toe not too different than grip-settings, and not setup for crazy drift/front bias, etc.

Mainly... I just want to hear opinions about the overdrive-ratios (1.7-2.5:1), and if those ratios can do grip racing.

Wouldn't it be better/easier than say a full-RWD F1/GT/Indy car? At least the CS overdriven cars still have some front drive.
Maybe this car?

http://blog.rcmart.com/rc-3racing-sa...d-coming-soon/

http://www.asiatees.com/article?id=1912
Old 06-24-2015, 07:17 PM
Tech Master

In grip racing the only time I have ever heard of over driving an end it was always the front. But the was years ago guys were doing that.
Old 06-24-2015, 08:07 PM
Tech Regular

I guess another option would be: Leave all the gears 50/50 for grip.. then for drift remove the front-belt or cvd's. But, it would undoubtedly be extremely harder to drift pure Rwd (unless getting a gyro).

I think this would probably be the best option because it wouldn't compromise that 50/50 for grip racing time.
Old 06-24-2015, 08:17 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by patorz31
In grip racing the only time I have ever heard of over driving an end it was always the front. But the was years ago guys were doing that.
The Losi guys sometimes did it for foam tires on carpet.
Old 06-24-2015, 11:53 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Lone Drifter
I assume that your CS car has a spool in the rear and a One-way in the front.
Don't some people use a front one-way for Grip racing too? I thought they did.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.