Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Pliers?  Need Recommendations >

Pliers? Need Recommendations

Pliers? Need Recommendations

Old 06-23-2015, 07:03 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 85 (100%+)
Default Pliers? Need Recommendations

I am not able to get out racing this summer so I'm going through my pit stuff and getting set for the fall indoor season. I've come to the pliers in my box and I want to get something new.

What are people using for pliers...I want to get something nice that I'll have forever. Needle nose pliers probably...but open to other recommendations.

What do you recommend?
(and please don't send me your Harbor Freight links, I really do want a nice set of pliers)
Old 06-23-2015, 07:07 AM
Tech Master

I am sure I will flamed for this. I have a set from snap-on from when I was a mechanic, they are expensive, but mine are 20 years old and still work like the day I bought them.
https://store.snapon.com/ELECTRONIC-...--C629255.aspx
Old 06-23-2015, 07:14 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I use a set of Lindstrom chain-nose pliers. They are made for making jewelry, but they are the best made set of pliers I've ever held. Not cheap, but worth it.
Old 06-23-2015, 08:20 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I use Xcelites. They are excellent quality, small in size perfect for RC stuff. They are made in the USA unless you get the large size which can be made in Taiwan.

But even the Taiwan ones are nice. I have a few larger ones in my garage.

I don't like the springs in the hinges so I usually yank them out.
Old 06-23-2015, 08:58 AM
Tech Master

Being an auto mechanic 33 years ago, using Snap-On & Channel Lock needle nose pliers and cutters. The next 32 used Xcelite tools for computer work. I feel Xcelite tools does the job on RC Hobbies. They fit in the hands well and lighter to carry around and at $15-$20, price is right. Havent had to replace them in 15 years.
Old 06-23-2015, 09:38 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Geezatec View Post
Being an auto mechanic 33 years ago, using Snap-On & Channel Lock needle nose pliers and cutters. The next 32 used Xcelite tools for computer work. I feel Xcelite tools does the job on RC Hobbies. They fit in the hands well and lighter to carry around and at $15-$20, price is right. Havent had to replace them in 15 years.
I'm glad to see a pro like yourself had the same experience with the Xcelites.

Last time I recommended some Wiha tools in another thread for hex drivers, I got LOL'ed. Not sure why, I've had great luck with their tools too. Needless to say, I got some MIP's too to try just the other day.

I have a thing for good tools. Tools are fun.
Old 06-23-2015, 10:39 AM
Tech Adept

Arrow Re:

Originally Posted by dr_hfuhuhurr View Post
What are people using for pliers...I want to get something nice that I'll have forever. Needle nose pliers probably...but open to other recommendations.

What do you recommend?
(and please don't send me your Harbor Freight links, I really do want a nice set of pliers)
I've had good results with my Tamiya Long Nose Pliers w/Cutter #74002 - they make some good tools. Keep them damp with WD40 to avoid any oxidizing or stiffing at the joint and they will last a lifetime. Purchased mine from rcMart.

I previously owned a pair by Excel but I must say, the Tamiya quality is way better. You could try Hudy's pliers as well.
Old 06-23-2015, 01:28 PM
Tech Master

Found these in bargain bin in Home Depot 13 yrs ago and still use them.
Attached Thumbnails Pliers?  Need Recommendations-dscn1830.jpg