Damper maintenence >

Damper maintenence

Damper maintenence

Old 06-18-2015, 04:20 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)
Default Damper maintenence

Hello to all once again.

When dampers get overhauled, I usually take it apart. O-rings, rods guides, Shafts, etc.

Of course I drain the oil but what kind of cleaning agent do I use for the internals specially inside the shock body itself.

I was thinking of using WD40 to get all the impurities out. Spray all components and wipe dry.

Is this correct? Will it harm the O-rings? Or should I just replace with a new set?

Is there another kind of cleaning agent that can be used aside from WD40?

Needing your advise.

Thanks!
Old 06-18-2015, 05:34 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 160 (100%+)

Motor spray, then with new o-rings. Cleaning gum can help get any spilled oil out of the nooks and crannies on the outside of the shock after reassembly.
Old 06-18-2015, 05:44 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by LasagnaCat View Post
Motor spray, then with new o-rings. Cleaning gum can help get any spilled oil out of the nooks and crannies on the outside of the shock after reassembly.
Cleaning gum is putty?
Old 06-18-2015, 06:02 PM
Tech Regular

I usually just fill the shock with new oil, pump the piston, pour it out and put new oil in.

When I do a complete overhaul I use non chlorinated brake cleaner for all aluminum parts. If the aluminum parts are really dirty ill spray simple green on them and brush with a tooth brush before. Soap and water for plastics sometimes with simple green. O rings I just rub on on clean wet shop towels or replace.
Old 06-18-2015, 06:03 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

WD40 will leave a residue that will affect the oil viscosity.

I pull the o-rings (if reusing) and hose the shock body out with brake cleaner (aka motor spray). Don't spray any rubber components with it.

Last edited by nwagner; 06-18-2015 at 06:50 PM. Reason: clarity purposes
Old 06-18-2015, 06:20 PM
Tech Elite

WD40 is out...
Will use motor spray instead.
Brake cleaner if reusing O-rings.
Noted.
Old 06-18-2015, 06:49 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Sorry, I didn't clarify properly. Do NOT use brake cleaner or motor spray on anything rubber. I spray the metal parts out with brake cleaner.
Old 06-18-2015, 06:53 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by nwagner View Post
Sorry, I didn't clarify properly. Do NOT use brake cleaner or motor spray on anything rubber. I spray the metal parts out with brake cleaner.

Ok sir.
I will clean the O-rings with shop towels then - if reusing.
Old 06-18-2015, 09:07 PM
Tech Master

O-rigs are cheap, if doing a complete teardown replace them. You will find they always seem to leak after a day or two after a complete rebuild. Replacing them is a good way to have peace of mind.
Old 06-19-2015, 01:34 AM
Tech Master

Motor cleaner is overkill IMHO. Why take the chance of damaging the nice slippery coating when dry kitchen paper would suffice ?
Old 06-19-2015, 02:46 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by patorz31 View Post
O-rigs are cheap, if doing a complete teardown replace them. You will find they always seem to leak after a day or two after a complete rebuild. Replacing them is a good way to have peace of mind.
Noted.

Makes sense. Replace O-rings rather than reuse.

BTW, I am currently using TRF dampers on all my cars. Is there another brand, aside from Tamiya that I can use? Something more "bang for the buck"
Old 06-19-2015, 04:46 AM
Tech Fanatic

Unless a rebuild is necessary (never is), or if the shock leaks (they never do), I just replace the oil.

If I for some reason do not change oil for a while in a set of shocks, I regularly demount them, take the springs off and "listen" for air in the shocks and just generally assess the feel of the piston.

When changing oil, I do not use any chemicals. Just empty the oil and put the shocks upside-down on a paper towel, and wipe off as much oil in the shock with paper towel.

Off course, before any race oil is changed.

Guess it's kind of a religion, some like to totally tear down the whole touring car and put the whole thing back together again. Others, like myself, like to think that you know the "week" spots and/or only disassemble the parts that seems to need that. A "if it ain't broke - don't try to fix it".....philosophy.
Old 06-19-2015, 05:41 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Salkin View Post
Unless a rebuild is necessary (never is), or if the shock leaks (they never do), I just replace the oil.

If I for some reason do not change oil for a while in a set of shocks, I regularly demount them, take the springs off and "listen" for air in the shocks and just generally assess the feel of the piston.

When changing oil, I do not use any chemicals. Just empty the oil and put the shocks upside-down on a paper towel, and wipe off as much oil in the shock with paper towel.

Off course, before any race oil is changed.

Guess it's kind of a religion, some like to totally tear down the whole touring car and put the whole thing back together again. Others, like myself, like to think that you know the "week" spots and/or only disassemble the parts that seems to need that. A "if it ain't broke - don't try to fix it".....philosophy.
Noted again sir. But I received a used set of shocks of which I don't know the history. I will do a complete tear down and rebuild then I will just do a periodic oil change afterwards.
Old 06-19-2015, 06:18 AM
Tech Fanatic

SagadSetup, don't get me wrong, I do not say that a complete tear down is not good.

Just that some (including myself) do not. Maybe we're just lazy
Old 06-19-2015, 06:29 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Salkin View Post
SagadSetup, don't get me wrong, I do not say that a complete tear down is not good.

Just that some (including myself) do not. Maybe we're just lazy
Yes I understand sir. I usually use my cars on "clean" surfaces so I wouldn't think that a complete tear down would be necessary.

If racing off-road then I would do a complete tear down.

Thanks!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.