Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Dominator in usvta >

Dominator in usvta

Dominator in usvta

Old 06-17-2015, 02:38 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Dominator in usvta

I have a dominator and want to use it in usvta in Valkaria rc track,However I bought the right wheels only to see they don't fit the same way as custom works wheels do.So is there an adapter to make them work? I raced 25 years ago with this dominator and had a good time.Some help fella's please.
Old 06-17-2015, 03:04 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

I don't have a Dominator here to measure, but I think it might be too wide. It needs to be no more than 200mm with the VTA wheels.

If the width looks okay, then you might be able to add the hex drives to the current axles, or replace the axles with something that would accept hex drives, which might need new drive shafts, which might need...

Sounds like a bunch of work. If you are still interested, check parts for the Associated TC3/TC4, which use the same axle diameter.
Old 06-17-2015, 03:22 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

The car is probably close to 235mm. We allow bodies that are around 210mm, so you will probably be too wide.
Old 06-17-2015, 07:48 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 160 (100%+)

but the chain drive would still be cool.
Old 06-17-2015, 08:35 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by LasagnaCat View Post
but the chain drive would still be cool.
Yes it would but I suspect he's talking about the new dominator which is not chain drive.
Old 06-17-2015, 08:52 PM
Tech Master

OP says its from 25 years ago, so it'll be chain drive all the way. Vegas99 if it doesn't work and you want to sell it or trade for newer TC that you can race PM me.
Old 06-18-2015, 07:48 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

First guy to get a chain drive car setup within the rules wins
Old 06-18-2015, 07:55 AM
Tech Master

Well I have some old Dominator parts lying around and a old TC 6.1........... I like a challenge.
Old 06-18-2015, 08:11 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by patorz31 View Post
OP says its from 25 years ago, so it'll be chain drive all the way. Vegas99 if it doesn't work and you want to sell it or trade for newer TC that you can race PM me.
Oh crap I missed that.
Old 06-18-2015, 08:25 AM
Tech Master

My fear would be the nylon custom works used would be so brittle now after 25 years that it would shatter at the first impact. I have a bunch of old oval cars all except the SRP-1 (everything is machined Delrin on it) have plastics that look brittle after sitting for years.
Old 06-18-2015, 08:31 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Too long, too wide and when the chain snaps you are done since you can't get them unless you are handy with buying a generic length and closing links.

Also since it is an oval car it is balanced for left hand turns only. Will it turn right? Sure but it will take some time and effort on scales to get it to do so.

It also uses the old Yokomo square drives. I suspect something more modern could be made to fit but there is a challenge there as well. It doesn't have provisions for a center nut since the drives are pinned on.
Old 06-18-2015, 09:09 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by patorz31 View Post
My fear would be the nylon custom works used would be so brittle now after 25 years that it would shatter at the first impact. I have a bunch of old oval cars all except the SRP-1 (everything is machined Delrin on it) have plastics that look brittle after sitting for years.
Lol, that CW nylon was brittle when it was brand new! I remember ppl running them on carpet oval, all you had to do to beat them was nudge them on a tire and parts started falling off.

Not sure that old chain drive would survive the torque of a BL motor. Even a 25.5 is probably still more motor than the hot mods of 25 years ago. And WOW the rotating mass on your drivetrain when try to pull out of a corner! There's probably a reason CW uses belt drive in the Doms today.

Would still be cool to see/hear a chain drive adapted into a TC. With 3D printers, wouldn't be hard to make sprockets to fit a ball diff/front spool. Fitting to a gear diff might be more trouble than it's worth.
Old 06-18-2015, 09:55 AM
Tech Master

I don't know the old brushed 7 turn single on 7 cells were pretty powerful. Was a pain trying to gear for 4 mins though, but we all did it.

The old chain drive had so much less friction then belt drive it might be worth looking at... Anyone remember the Kyosho Slingshot?

Only issue was all of the oval cars had a spool in the back and one ways up front. making a chain drive gear diff could be the killer. I have a bunch of sprockets left over going to take a look tonight. I may build a chain drive TC6.1 just so to hear the WTF??? at the club.
Old 06-18-2015, 12:22 PM
Tech Rookie

I sure appreciate you guys input on my dominator dilemma? Its in great shape for as old as it is,but it looks like i need a newer shorter narrower car,lol.Well it was worth a shot i will keep it for dirt oval racing anyway.Back to the drawing board.Thanks again Daniel
Old 06-18-2015, 01:10 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Stealth_RT View Post
Lol, that CW nylon was brittle when it was brand new! I remember ppl running them on carpet oval, all you had to do to beat them was nudge them on a tire and parts started falling off.

Not sure that old chain drive would survive the torque of a BL motor. Even a 25.5 is probably still more motor than the hot mods of 25 years ago. And WOW the rotating mass on your drivetrain when try to pull out of a corner! There's probably a reason CW uses belt drive in the Doms today.

Would still be cool to see/hear a chain drive adapted into a TC. With 3D printers, wouldn't be hard to make sprockets to fit a ball diff/front spool. Fitting to a gear diff might be more trouble than it's worth.
Yeah. I remember back racing dirt oval maybe 20 years ago. I remember a guy with a Dominator coming out of the corner, the chain breaking, and he had to pick up 5 mph. He went from 5th to first in the straight. Couldn't get through the corner though...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.