Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
My brand-new Tamiya FF04 FWD touring car >

My brand-new Tamiya FF04 FWD touring car

My brand-new Tamiya FF04 FWD touring car

Old 06-16-2015, 11:59 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default My brand-new Tamiya FF04 FWD touring car

Somewhere, deep down, you knew my foray into touring cars wouldn't involve doing the same thing everyone else is doing.

Obviously this vehicle is nowhere near done, but I wanted to show off the chassis before it gets clogged with wires and electronics. There's a beautiful simplicity to having absolutely all of the action happening near the front axle, with the rear axle completely un-cluttered. RWD vehicles are almost like that, but not quite, because the steering still has to be in the front.

I look forward to seeing how this thing drives outside of my imagination.

Last edited by fyrstormer; 03-29-2018 at 03:01 PM.
Old 06-16-2015, 12:14 PM
Tech Master

You will like it. I just got into FWD TC too. The way I describe it to my friends is that it drives like a Big Tamiya M05 that drives straight. What I mean by that is that they are a hoot to drive and race. They are fast and cheaper then 4WD. Also when you beat a 4wd the look you see on the other guys faces is awesome.
Old 06-16-2015, 01:00 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 160 (100%+)

Looks great.
Old 06-16-2015, 01:09 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 64 (98%+)

i absolutely love the Tamiya FF lineup, had almost every one of them (except the FF02), they got better and better with handling.

Im now nursing a new in box ff04 evo, trying to build up the courage to build it..
Old 06-16-2015, 01:10 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 64 (98%+)

bought these two together:

Old 06-16-2015, 05:17 PM
Tech Champion

Belt-drive on an offroad vehicle? Isn't that asking for trouble?
Old 06-16-2015, 05:18 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by silentboost View Post
i absolutely love the Tamiya FF lineup, had almost every one of them (except the FF02), they got better and better with handling.

Im now nursing a new in box ff04 evo, trying to build up the courage to build it..
No courage needed. Just dive in and build it. I barely even needed to trim any flashing from the kit, everything was molded so cleanly.

I originally wanted an FF03 Evo, but I suppose if the FF04 has better handling, then I'll make my peace with the "boring" conventional front-shock layout.
Old 06-16-2015, 05:19 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by patorz31 View Post
You will like it. I just got into FWD TC too. The way I describe it to my friends is that it drives like a Big Tamiya M05 that drives straight. What I mean by that is that they are a hoot to drive and race. They are fast and cheaper then 4WD. Also when you beat a 4wd the look you see on the other guys faces is awesome.
Do the M05's not drive straight? I find that surprising for a kit from a brand as well-respected as Tamiya.
Old 06-16-2015, 05:50 PM
Tech Champion

Anyway, I thought it was interesting that the FF series is actually a simplified version of the XV01. I've never seen a front-motor-4WD RC before. How do they handle compared to mid-motor cars?
Old 06-16-2015, 10:05 PM
Tech Master

Tamiya had a front motor touring car years ago. The TA03 series. David jun won a roar national title with one. It was there first serious racing tc. They easy to drive with the motors and tires of the time.
The tamiya mini's have a terrible amount of slop in the suspension and steering. They wonder a bit down the straight. Funny thing is you take out the slop they handle like crap, they work better with it.
Old 06-16-2015, 11:41 PM
Tech Champion

On my Losi and Associated minis, I just toed-in or toed-out the wheels as appropriate so the slop would be held in-check by the wheels putting tension on the suspension linkages.

Real cars have rubber bushings in their suspensions, so their suspensions can have some freedom to flex without rattling around, so in a way real cars have "slop" as well, it's just buffered so the driver doesn't notice it. Perhaps instead of shimming the slop on the M-chassis cars, O-rings would work better.
Old 06-17-2015, 05:43 AM
Tech Champion

Foams too, contact tyres if I am not mistaken

Nice car.

I used to race the Yokomo YRF2 many, many years ago. I liked how light 2wd cars are and their simplicity.

Unfortunately though on lower grip tracks it obviously took a while for them to get off the line compared to 4wd cars.

I had an FF01 Tamiya before that, but obviously it wasn't competitive enough to be raced against better stuff.
Old 06-17-2015, 11:26 AM
Tech Champion

Xceed RC tires, actually. Nice and sticky. We'll see how well they actually work.

I decided to go with foam tires on this one to maximize grip on the front axle. If it turns out that it has plenty of grip, then maybe I'll switch back to rubber tires, so I won't have to worry about chunking them.
Old 06-18-2015, 03:36 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by fyrstormer View Post
Xceed RC tires, actually. Nice and sticky. We'll see how well they actually work.

I decided to go with foam tires on this one to maximize grip on the front axle. If it turns out that it has plenty of grip, then maybe I'll switch back to rubber tires, so I won't have to worry about chunking them.
Imo you made a good choice to start with and worth experimenting. You will need a bit more grip to make up for the 2wd, especially from launch.
Old 06-19-2015, 12:00 AM
Tech Champion

Low-profile steering servo and radio receiver showed up today. Got them installed, then swung by the hobby shop to pick up a Velcro strap to hold the battery in-place. (supposedly I'm supposed to use some kind of special tape that has to be replaced every few uses...no thanks.) I put the Velcro strap on the chassis, then sliced the strip of one-sided foam tape that came with the kit into two thinner strips, and stuck them on the chassis on either side of the Velcro strap to give the battery a grippy surface to sit on.

All I need is the ESC to complete the chassis, and then I can start agonizing over which body shell to use.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.