R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 10-23-2005, 01:03 PM   #1
Tech Apprentice

Send a message via MSN to chris-steele
Smile KYOSHO MINI-Z RACING THREAD

I have just started to run mini-z rm cars and racing on carpet. could anyone help me with set-up and any hop-ups you think i should use.I fitted bearings,and 3-hobby motor any othere help would be great

Last edited by chris-steele; 03-04-2006 at 01:55 PM.
chris-steele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005, 01:24 PM   #2
Tech Regular

mini z's are nice. i dont have one, but i would recomend a rear monoshock, and the fastest motor you can find. also, look into li-po, (lithium polymer) batteries. you could also adjust gearing to suit the track you run on.
i have an x mod, but thats similar to a mini z. some sites to check include:
www.micromotorsport.com
www.atomicmods.com
rs4rallydriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005, 03:54 PM   #3
Tech Apprentice

Thumbs up

cheers for help i will have to get a mono shock and some springs and the links are good
Old 10-31-2005, 11:54 AM   #4
Tech Regular

if you do get an x mod, i would recomend getting the aluminum drive shafts and cups. these are the first things you will break after installing a mod motor. i think that they have the same upgrade for the mini z.
Old 10-31-2005, 03:03 PM   #5
Tech Initiate

As soon as I check my tires I'll let you know what I use to run on my mini z
and I'll also post some pictures up of my car...
Key500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 03:49 PM   #6
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Shookie Send a message via MSN to Mr. Shookie

http://www.rckenon.com/public_html/s...products_id=70

http://www.rckenon.com/public_html/s...products_id=73

http://www.rckenon.com/public_html/s...products_id=56

are the three that seem to be the best hopups for proformance.
That website has the best stuff.
-Shookie <><
All who love the LORD JESUS I praise with you.1 Cor 10:31
Team HOLY Rollers (Team Manager)
The Church is a Hospital for Sinners not a Museum for Saints.
RcTech Feedback <>< RC Tech Subcriber #92
Mr. Shookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005, 03:51 AM   #7
Tech Initiate

The tires that work best for me were Atomics
30* Front
10* Rears
Kyosho oil filled shock
And the side shocks and springs
were all PN Racing products..
Attached Thumbnails
mini-z-supraweb.jpg   mini-z-topweb.jpg   mini-z-sideweb.jpg  
Key500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005, 06:18 AM   #8
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I don't have a camera but I would like to get rid of my Mini-z's as the stopped racing them here.I've to two An Acura and Nissan Nimos both with many options spare tires radios and two new bodies in the packages Nizzan350 z and Mercedes. I've got about $300 in each car( motors and hop ups).Make a descent offer and I'll send them your way.
WGT-R, GT-12 Racing USA (21.5 ), Formula 1 and Home Track is 386 RaceWay,ROAR #7540.
BullFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2005, 02:24 PM   #9
Tech Regular

Cool

key500 thats probably the coolest mini-z that i have ever seen. i'd post a pic of my x-mod, but i too lack a camera. it's a blue subaru sti with blue chrome 5 spoke rims. broke the rear drive shaft though so it doesnt run. (unless i lock the diff and go with SINGLE- right- rear wheel drive
Old 11-13-2005, 11:00 AM   #10
Tech Apprentice

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Shookie
http://www.rckenon.com/public_html/s...products_id=70

http://www.rckenon.com/public_html/s...products_id=73

http://www.rckenon.com/public_html/s...products_id=56

are the three that seem to be the best hopups for proformance.
That website has the best stuff.
-Shookie <><
I just orderd rear shock with spings and ride hight ajustable motor mount
ps my car is mro2
Old 11-13-2005, 11:03 AM   #11
Tech Apprentice

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Key500
The tires that work best for me were Atomics
30* Front
10* Rears
Kyosho oil filled shock
And the side shocks and springs
were all PN Racing products..
do you think the side shocks are better? do thay help the car? should i get some

nice car like the wheels will stick up pics of my car soon
Old 11-13-2005, 11:59 AM   #12
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Get the MR-02 chassis with the following mods:

1) Rear floating disk
2) Lower carbon fiber T-plate
3) Full set of bearings
4) front tuning springs
5) Rear aluminum pod
6) stainless steel front steering shafts
7) Atomic front tires ( compound 20 ) and GPM rears ( compound 8 )
8) Atomic stock or some PN stock motors ( these motors are faster than what you get originally from the kit and they wil not burn up your board within the mini-z. If you wanna use a faster modified motor, internal work on the board is required by changing the stock fets. )

Your car should be in the ball park with some of the fast guys. There isn't that much stuff you need to be at pace with the average club fast guys. I've had afew cars with-in the past years.
Attached Thumbnails
mini-z-img_1448.jpg   mini-z-img_0995.jpg   mini-z-img_1221.jpg   mini-z-img_1389.jpg   mini-z-img_1144.jpg  

Old 11-13-2005, 12:05 PM   #13
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Stevietd14 Send a message via Yahoo to Stevietd14

Lately,I've been looking for a Rc car I can run around the house.Mini-z's look like a cheap,quality way to do this.However, I have a couple of questions.
1.For the motors, Do you just run them until they die?Or can you get new brushes,Cut comms or anything of that sort?
2.Is there any way to run my own radio gear(Mx3,air supermicro reciever)?
3.What batteries are suggested?What is the best way to charge these?Is there a holder I can put them into and then use my Pulsar to charge them?
Thanks
Steve
Stevietd14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2005, 01:22 PM   #14
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevietd14
Lately,I've been looking for a Rc car I can run around the house.Mini-z's look like a cheap,quality way to do this.However, I have a couple of questions.
1.For the motors, Do you just run them until they die?Or can you get new brushes,Cut comms or anything of that sort?
2.Is there any way to run my own radio gear(Mx3,air supermicro reciever)?
3.What batteries are suggested?What is the best way to charge these?Is there a holder I can put them into and then use my Pulsar to charge them?
Thanks
Steve
Steve: Good questions. Here are some awnsers to get you started:

1) The motors that come with the stock kits are very effiecient, but slow. The have brushes on them, but they are meant to last for a very long time. You always have the option to upgrade to a Kyosho x-speed, atomic stock motor, or a pn stock motors. All of these motors mentioned are all up-graded motors. With these motors, you can change the brushes and cut the comms ( if you're very careful; they have special comm lathes for these types of motors ).

2) Unfortunately, the transmitters that you mentioned are not compatable for the kyohso mini-z board. KO propo have modules for Airtronics M8's, KO Propo Mars, and KO propo helios radios. You have to to use one of these radios if you want to intergrate it with your mini-z. The radios that come with the kits are fairly good. They are KO based and has all of the required adjustments you need for your mini-z to get you going in the beginning.

3) There are 2 options for AAA batteries: A) you can use regular AAA alkaline batteries. They'll last pretty long if your using the stock motor that comes with the kit. B) Use rechargables Ni-MH AAA batteries. This is what I would reccomend it you're serisous about batteries. You can use your LRP pulsar charger, but you'll need to charge your AAA batteries from 1.0 - 1.5 amps. I've heard of people charging them at a highter amp rate, but you'll chance the batteries to overheat and vent. You'll need a AAA batteries case to hold the batteries in place while charging. You can obtain these cases at radio shack or other electronic store. I use the energizer 15 minute battery charger. This beauty can charge both Ni-Cds and Ni-MH batteries in both sizes ( AA or AAA ) . This is what most mini-z racers use at the track I race on. Its easy and affordable.

Obviously, when you get into something new like mini-z's, the initial cost is a bit more than what you'd expect. A whole system with a kyosho mini-z, batteries, hop-ups, and charger can set you back more than $300 easily. If you have any questions, let us know. Hope this helps Steve.
Old 11-13-2005, 01:28 PM   #15
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Stevietd14 Send a message via Yahoo to Stevietd14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger
Steve: Good questions. Here are some awnsers to get you started:

1) The motors that come with the stock kits are very effiecient, but slow. The have brushes on them, but they are meant to last for a very long time. You always have the option to upgrade to a Kyosho x-speed, atomic stock motor, or a pn stock motors. Al of these motors mentioned are all up-graded motors. With these motors, you can change the brushes and cut the comms ( if you very careful; they have special comm lathes for these types of motors ).

2) Unfortunately, the transmitters that you mentioned are not compatable for the kyohso mini-z board. KO propo have modules for Airtronics M8's, KO Propo Mars, and KO propo helios radios. You have to to use one of these radios if you want to intergrate it with your mini-z. The radios that come with the kits are fairly good. They are KO based and has all of the required adjustments you need for your mini-z to get you going in the beginning.

3) There are 2 options for AAA batteries: A) you can use regular AAA alkaline batteries. They'll last pretty long if your using the stock motor that comes with the kit. B) Use rechargables Ni-MH AAA batteries. This is what I would reccomend it you're serisous about batteries. You can use your LRP pulsar charger, but you'll need to charge your AAA batteries from 1.0 - 1.5 amps. I've heard of people charging them at a highter amp rate, but you'll chance the batteries to overheat and vent. You'll need a AAA batteries case to hold the batteries in place while charging. You can obtain these cases at radio shack or other electronic store. I use the energizer 15 minute battery charger. This beauty can charge both Ni-Cds and Ni-MH batteries in both sizes ( AA or AAA ) . This is what most mini-z racers use at the track I race on. Its easy and affordable.

Obviously, when you get into something new like mini-z's, the initial cost is a bit more than what you'd expect. A whole system with a kyosho mini-z, batteries, hop-ups, and charger can set you back more than $300 easily. If you have any questions, let us know. Hope this helps Steve.

Thank you very much.That was exactly what I was looking for.If you don't mind a have a couple more questions.
How much does one of these lathes go for?
What aftermarket ESC do you need for Mod mtors?
What mah do AAA's run up to?
Do they offer motors that I wouldnt need any other items(esc upgrade,motor plate etc.) to run and would be faster then the stock ones?
What upgrades for performance are most popular?
Thanks for all the help roger!
Steve
Stevietd14 is offline   Reply With Quote