Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Reviews of Hara Twister 2.1

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2005, 02:06 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by AMGRacer
...So it appears you need a program device to program these puppies? Is it a hand held device or a link cable? Somebody said $90 and somebody else said $30 any ideas exactly what it would run??
I don't think you need the programmer. I have run both versions as is and they both run great.
Old 10-24-2005, 02:21 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

So it appears you need a program device to program these puppies? Is it a hand held device or a link cable? Somebody said $90 and somebody else said $30 any ideas exactly what it would run??
i agree that you won't really need a programming device. if you wanted to change the programming there are quite a few people at most races that have one and could help you get it done. i help racers at the track frequently program the esc because they do not have any way to do it themselves.
Old 10-24-2005, 02:54 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by thecrow2k
Not meaning to put it down never drove one, but a mate has said a fellow driver has 2 and said there really flat with no punch, however than may be his opinion, mayeb test another drive at your track who has ones.
thecrow... if you run a silver can, stock, or 19T motor, the preloaded program on the Hara Twister 2.0/2.1 will be way too flat for your needs. you will need to adjust all the drive frequencies within the throttle profile. check out the VFS-1 thread. its in my signature.

Originally Posted by odawg315
i currently run gtx's in all my car, if you guys love these controllers so much give me reason to sell my gtx and step into the hara. i win with my novak, so convince me!!

to all who are writing reviews and comparing to your "former" esc, what kind were your formers, hopfully not the likes of basic lrp's or mtroniks and stuff, id like to see it compared to the gtx, the quantum2, and the keyonce.... those are the esc i see alot of pro's using.
if you are happy with your GTX you should stick with it. BUT if you are willing to venture out and have more fine tuning with your speedo, then jump in and get the VFS line of escs and a handheld programmer. i used to run a QC. then switched to the VFS-2000. i immediately jumped in and played with the throttle profile. i was able to dial in more punch while keeping the same gear ratio. looks like your in florida, Andrew Ellis won the ROAR Nats there recently in the stock class and he was running a VFS based speedo.

for more information, check out the Ko Propo site at: www.kopropo.com or click on the link in my signature.
Old 10-25-2005, 01:32 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by rcnewb2004
I'll try to straighten a few things for you, best to look at the KO VFS-1 thread.

The hardware between these models are identical:
Hara 2.0 = vfs-1 pro (has a low cutoff temp, not good for you if u run 8T motors)

Hara 2.1 = vfs-1 pro competition (has a higher cutoff temp, which maybe better for you, if you run 8T)

The difference between Hara and KO VFS-1 models is that the Hara comes equipped with hara's own settings (designed for mod racing) preprogrammed in the ESC, and the hara 2.1 has the carbon fibre like case.

Once you get a Hara 2.1, you will need:
1x Extra Schottky diode SINGLE (or DOUBLE for better protection)
1x Handheld Programmer OR computer programming cable

Run the cap for better punch. I run 19T and use 2caps, gives very good punch.

But just a note:
(You might have confused diode with capacitor?)

Small capacitors attached to the motor surpresses motor "noise" which may interfere with your radio, since you run a spektrum all is good.

However, the diode's job is not to prevent radio interference, but to prevent the reverse EMF generated by the motor during braking from frying your esc.

It is best to run with the diode!

Happy racing!
Thanks for the reply. I am actually reasonably experienced at RC, but a bit of a dope when it comes to Electric. I run the V2 series of motors exclusively and I understand these come with the capacitors to suppress noise. I have never yet run a diode on any motor (between 7-10 turn) and have not had a problem, BUT I thought it was to suppress noise. I did not realise I could fry my ESC doing this!! I will grab some diodes for my motors.

Thanks for the info on the KO, I did not realise that they are basically the same, will check that thread.

A buddy of mine gave me a capacitor about the size of a cats head to run on my GT7, this thing is freakin huge. So the capacitor is required to increase punch, man I am a n00b. I thought it was also for noise supression. I think I am straight now, thanks!
Old 10-25-2005, 01:35 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Rick Hohwart
I don't think you need the programmer. I have run both versions as is and they both run great.
So in your view the 2.1 you can take from the box and lay down the smack without messing with the settings? Thats pretty much what I want......
Old 10-25-2005, 01:58 AM
Tech Master

I am not Rick Hohwart.. but if you run modified, yes. solder and go if you use the hara 2.1! The hara settings are preinstalled! if hara can win with the settings, i can't see what's wrong!

ur not a newb AMGRacer! (otherwise that puts me to a pre-newb status, which I hope I have passed already after blowing up 3 escs and destroying 2 rc cars!) , I am fortunate to have soldered a few things before going into RC, so happened to get a bit of background on that. But as the name says, I am the newb around here. Haven't soldered very many things with 4 wheels, but just so happens one of them is the hara 2.1 and I am loving it. So I decided to do my part with promoting the 2.1! (i am not hired by KO, but i have a basic understanding and fully believe in the technology they are using in the hara 2.1. Also because I am having the best racing time of my life with this esc.) I felt I spent alot of $ on the ESC, but I think this is the last esc I will never need to get. (unless I get another car!)

Caps can both surpress noise and add more punch for your car.
Depending on the type of cap you use, and where in the circuit you are using it, caps can serve as either purpose!

Running the diode will certainly make sure nothing happens to esc!

I hope my posts are not too long and that I haven't wasted your time making you read my garbage!

Happy Racing!
Old 10-25-2005, 07:52 AM
Tech Elite

So in your view the 2.1 you can take from the box and lay down the smack without messing with the settings? Thats pretty much what I want......
Yes. In fact I installed the 2.1 before the first round (no practice with it) of the Mod Nats and was second for the round (behind Hara). It is a great speedo.
Old 10-27-2005, 01:05 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Rick Hohwart
Yes. In fact I installed the 2.1 before the first round (no practice with it) of the Mod Nats and was second for the round (behind Hara). It is a great speedo.
Oh you are THAT Rick Hohwart. Well thanks for the answer I am going to purchase one tonight in fact!
Old 11-01-2005, 02:14 PM
Buyer Beware

i am gonna buy one tonight!.....kitty