new batteries

Old 10-22-2005, 04:24 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default new batteries

do any of you cycle your batts before using them for the first time?

i want my batts to last as long as they can and i am a basher so i dont really care about much punch
Old 10-22-2005, 04:59 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)
Default Cycling

The new cells do not need to be cycled, unless left to sit for a long periiod of time. The new cells are basically use put away and then use again.

Later,
Old 10-22-2005, 07:46 PM
Tech Master

I cycle all my new packs once before running them on a car for the first time. But I do not do this to break them in. There is no reason to break packs in.
I perform this task for 2 reasons:
-The main reason is because I want to see what the numbers on the newly assembled pack are. I am not looking to test and see if the matchers numbers are true, but I am looking for reference points or numbers of when the battery is new so I can compare it to the numbers as the pack ages.
-Nimh batteries, when they have sat for long periods of time can become flat and sometimes need a cycle of 2 before their performance is restored. The high majority of my packs are freshly matched so this is not a main concern of mine anymore, but I beleive this is a good practice if your batteries have been in storage for several months or more.

But to be honest, I probably would not cycle my batteries when new if not for the fact that I get new batteries all the time. My oldest batteries have at the most 9-10 cycles on them and then they are replaced. Batteries only have a finite amount of cycles they can be put through before they start degrade in performance. Cycling the pack when new is one less cycle of the pack that you will be able to run in the car.
Old 10-22-2005, 08:11 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

lucky bum u get paks new after 10 runs, i get new packs only when i can afford it
but really is no real reson to cycle paks unless they have been sitting around 4 a while
Old 10-22-2005, 08:22 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

oh ok thanks