Old 05-30-2015, 04:16 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Brushed motor sparks and fire ?

link -> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=968yAI5KGjQ

Is that suppose to happen ?
Old 05-30-2015, 04:50 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

I think so yes. I experienced that when I had brushed motor. Im not an expert. Maybe the others have a better input.
Old 05-30-2015, 05:38 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 315 (100%+)

Perfectly normal, it'll reduce as the brushes bed in.
Old 05-30-2015, 05:48 AM
Tech Rookie

Thanks for the reply guys !
Old 05-30-2015, 06:54 AM
Tech Adept

I think yes too )
Old 05-30-2015, 07:45 AM
Tech Master

Brushed motor sparks normal. And there's one that can be done. Adding a capacitor across the motor. Two it get intense when your brush are replaced, Three resurface the commutator. Adding a capacitor also diminish spark but interference of radio equipment. Everything said, upgrade to brushless like everyone is. Brushed motor do get expensive with the Lathe for commutator. Brushless replace Rotor(permanant Magnet) and bearings. No sparks. Most brushed motor used to come with 2 Caps, attached to each brush.
Old 05-30-2015, 08:38 AM
Tech Regular

That's a little more than normal. It looks like the brush isn't making good contact with the armature. Have you broken this motor in yet?
Old 05-30-2015, 09:05 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by 2uzferunner03
That's a little more than normal. It looks like the brush isn't making good contact with the armature. Have you broken this motor in yet?
I did let the motor run without load for about 10 minutes when i first got it. The brush now looks fine to me , its curved and its making full contact to the comm. I think its been like this all the time , I just haven't noticed it until now. :/
Old 05-30-2015, 09:42 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

means she's making power...
Old 05-30-2015, 03:17 PM
Tech Master

Also brushes and commutator dirty. /use a electronic motor spray Found in LHS or electronics store. Lift car off ground, apply half throttle,spray cleaner on brushe and commtator. It cleans contacts and lubricate.
Old 05-31-2015, 03:44 AM
Tech Master

Terrible advice.

First, You're telling the guy to spray a highly flammable liquid from a pressurized can, onto a live circuit with sparks flying.

Second, brushes hate motor spray. It dries them up and makes them good for thrash.
Old 05-31-2015, 10:53 AM
Tech Master

I've been using motor spray since the mid '80's. Rebuilding rebuiltable electric motor for RC's. Mainly rebuilding Team Checkpoint motors. Changing bearings, resurfacing commutators by Lathes. Just follow the direction on motor spray. Earlier sprays You can run the motor. Motor sprays dries up quickly. /using to clean bearing?? use a good turbo oil to lubricate the bearing. I still have a can of Team Checkpoint electronic spray that 8yrs old. Only now using to clean Brushless motor bearing and interior of motor, and relubing with a turbo oil.Electric motor spray use sparingly, doesn't take to much, just a split second, NOT like a carb cleaning spray of throttle body spray.

After a while he'll upgrade to a brushless motor, cuz keeping it brushed motor gets expensive for a lathe. And Brushless is now the age.

Individual preference Spray or not. Spark causes interference RF. Can add caps like I quoted before. Motor Caps,Not esc caps, difference between them.
Old 05-31-2015, 11:06 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Ive been using motor spray for quite awhile also
Most of them these days are non flammable also
Just be careful not to get any spray rebound in your eyes
Safety First!
Old 05-31-2015, 11:07 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

i can't see the vid cuz im out of mobile data...but from what you guys are talking about seems that the motor wasnt broken in right...just bc you let it run foe a while doesnt mean you broke it in right...I've only had 3 brushes motor in my 8years in this hobby...the best way to break it in is the water method...its been kickin for a little longer than a year...
Old 05-31-2015, 06:58 PM
Tech Master

Brushed motors Wear item are 98% brushes. Brushes turns into dust, causing Sparks. Maybe 2hrs running 50% of brushes wore down Lack of power. Replace if available. A hobby by experience . Breakin motor is myth, A turned commutator with new brush all you need. Use spray like every other run, it may last longer.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.