Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Comm lathe

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2002, 09:39 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Comm lathe

Which of the following comm lathe is better?

Hudy Advance
Hudy Tech
Team Orion
Team Trinity

What is the difference of Hudy Advance and Hudy Tech?
Team Orion didn't use Ball-Bearing and V-Guide. Is it work?
Old 12-08-2002, 10:00 AM
Tech Addict

Try the Trinity3, it comes with ball and v-guides and a carbit bit, which works well, you will have to buy a dimond bit later on. The dimond one is worth every penny if you cut alot. I use the trinty so can't tell u much about the others. Or the cobra which comes witha dimond bit.
Old 12-08-2002, 11:32 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I don't know how much you want to spend but the hudy is the cadilac of lathes they are the best (but most expensive). I have a trinity 3 lathe with a diamond and it is very nice. My friend has the cobra lathe and to be perfectly honest it is the one I recomend. You can get it with a diamond bit for about $160 if I remember corectly and it cuts just as good as the rest of them.

As for bang for your buck this is how I would rate them

cobra lathe that comes with diamond bit

trinity true lathe 3

hudy lathes either one they are both good

I don't know much about the orion lathe but witch ever one you get spend the extra and get the diamond bit but practice with the carbide bit first until you get used to it then use the diamond. One other thing don't ever loan your lathe out if someone needs to cut a arm just do it for them I have seen a bunch of people loan out lathes and when they get it back the bit is messed up and then you are out $75
Old 12-08-2002, 02:59 PM
Tech Regular

If you have the cash, the fantom lathe is the best ever. I currently own a hudy and I'm happy with it but I like the fantom one much better.
Old 12-08-2002, 03:17 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Do a search on ebay for twister , and if you are lucky someone will be selling one these lathes. It's the best lathe hands down. I've had one for 12 years now and would never get rid of it. Second choice wold be the fantom.
Old 12-08-2002, 04:04 PM
Tech Elite

good luck finding a phantom. They are real nice but for $400 they better be!!!!

Twisters are also very nice but I figured a new one was wanted.

I am not sure but I think Trinity either bought out twister or at least the lathe part out that is what I was told.
Old 12-08-2002, 04:53 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Comm lathe

Oh... thank u so much for yours information.
Actually. I have no idea to Fantom and Twister. I race in Asia.

Any comment on the design/quality of the comm lathe from Team Orion?
SHould anyone can tell me something about the Hudy Advance and Hudy Tech comm lathe. Which one is better?
Old 12-08-2002, 04:55 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Nope Trinity just copied the twister design(poorly by the way)
Old 12-08-2002, 06:33 PM
Tech Elite

Default What Comm Lathe

If "Integy" is availible they work great and are more reasonably priced. I paid $120 usd for my Xipp Mod Lathe, comes with Bearing "V" Blocks, a Base, 4 cell NiCd pack, Slave Motor and is wired and ready to go. Just charge the pack (has a Deans plug) and cut. For about $30 dollars more you can get the Carbide "V" blocks but all you need to do is use a drop of bushing oil on the bearings every once in a while. I've seen many expert Drivers use the bearing blocks on their lathes, so they can't be as bad as everyone says. Just need to oil once in a while.
Get a CARBIDE tool bit. They will last for 6 months and cost a maximum of $15 to replace vs $75-$90 for a Diamond bit.
Old 12-09-2002, 04:04 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Hudy comm lathe

For Ball bearing comm lathe, Hudy would be the best!
Old 12-09-2002, 04:55 AM
Tech Elite

Carbide is JUNK......... it works for a couple of cut and that is about it got to get a diamond. As for the integy lathes their quality is about the worst out their I had one and sold it and bought my trinity lathe ( should have just gotten the cobra)
Old 12-09-2002, 05:24 AM
Tech Regular

carbide can give a good cut but going to get it sharpened gets old very fast. one race meet i went to was for four days and was about 5 hours drive away, on the first day my carbide bit dulled and i had to borrow lathes for the rest of the event. so sure you can get a carbide bit sharpened all the time but the machine shop isnt always gonna be there. i have the trinity and if i was gonna do it over i would get the cobra or try my hardest to get a twister. a guy i know has had the same twister lathe and diamond bit for 15 years, now thats quality.
Old 12-09-2002, 05:50 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Hudy comm lathe

Should anyone can give me some ideas on Hudy Tech and Advance Comm lathe
Old 12-09-2002, 07:47 AM
Tech Adept

Hi! for the ultimate comm lathe you cannot go wrong with Hudy!
It is a bit expensive but you will find it's worth every penny!

Another option is to buy second brand from Hudy such as Extreme.

I used to owned the Xipp manual comm lathe, now I am using the Hudy automatic comm lathe. I love it!!
Old 12-09-2002, 09:47 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default Re: Hudy comm lathe

Originally posted by yoyofai
Should anyone can give me some ideas on Hudy Tech and Advance Comm lathe
The difference between the Hudy Advanced & Tech lathes is how they drive the armature. The Advanced lathe drives the armature directly off the slave motor via a large O-ring, which is the way almost every other lathe works. The Tech lathe drives the armature off a layshaft that is driven by a slave motor. The idea is that driving the armature off the layshaft will reduce vibration resulting in a better cut (according to Hudy).

If you go to Hudy's website www.hudy.net and click on 'Comm Lathes' there are pictures of both of them.

When looking for a comm lathe and trying to compare prices, make sure you know what comes with the lathe for the money. Many lathes don't include a slave motor (Hudy does). Many lathes don't include a cutting bit (Hudy doesn't).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.