Search

cheapo esc vs expensive esc

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2015, 03:10 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by SagadSetup
I'm glad I did too! Can't wait to try this out on my touring car. If this does perform well, my next ESCs will be Speed Passions. I'm thinking that this is the best bang for the buck ESC. Warranty? I wasn't really particular on warranties. I guess the price IS the warranty but that's me.

I heard this phrase before: "What's in a name?"

Maybe that can also apply to ESCs...

-SS
When you get your esc and programmer, the first thing you will want to do is update the firmware in the programmer. I think the latest is v1.27. You will need to install the Reventon pro software from the speed passion website to do this.
Old 06-03-2015, 04:03 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by cplus
All the good performance is in mod classes though. I would have no doubt that all the braking properties etc have been set up with mod motors in mind as a priority.

Muchmore do make a blinky specific model - Fleta Euro - it is used in the ETS series as the control ECU. They also make a stock specific unit.

Can the firmware from either of these be loaded onto the Fleta Pro perhaps?
Strange I have the Fleta pro and it's excellent for 17.5 blinky and I found it a massive step up from my hobbywing and LRP esc's. I have brakes on the std settings and can easily get a lot of brakes on my local technical course. I also run the Fleta Zx motor which has a lot of torque.

All esc's have a feel to them and like everything some work better for some types of drivers than others. As to cheap esc's most of the brands here are all acceptable to race, the only ones that seemed to go pop were the reventon esc's when they first were launched although the newer ones seem to be fine.

Last edited by Qatmix; 06-03-2015 at 11:55 PM.
Old 06-03-2015, 04:15 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

It took 5 weeks for Hobbywing to replace my juststock after it quit working. They did honor the warranty but 5 weeks is ridiculous. I have a new extreme stock esc that the instructions say can be programed with a program card. When I contacted Hobbywing they said I can't use the card and I'll have to purchase a program box. Buyer beware!
Yes they are cheap but when something goes wrong their customer service stinks IMO.
Old 06-03-2015, 04:38 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tbrymer
When you get your esc and programmer, the first thing you will want to do is update the firmware in the programmer. I think the latest is v1.27. You will need to install the Reventon pro software from the speed passion website to do this.
Will do! Thanks for your guidance!
Old 06-03-2015, 04:40 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Qatmix
Strange I have the Fleta pro and it's excellent for 17.5 blinky and I found it a massive step up from my hobbling and LRP esc's. I have brakes on the std settings and can easily get a lot of brakes on my local technical course. I also run the Fleta Zx motor which has a lot of torque.
I have absolutely no doubt it would work well when set up correctly (saying this from experience with MM products generally, not this one specifically)
Old 06-04-2015, 05:40 AM
Tech Elite

Questions?? Skyrc TS120

Has anybody used this ESC? http://www.skyrc.com/index.php?route...product_id=206

What's the feedback on it? How does it compare to SP and HW?

*Trivia: I just learned that ESCs are like pacemakers. Wow good technology on RC Cars eh?
Old 06-04-2015, 07:27 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Qatmix
Strange I have the Fleta pro and it's excellent for 17.5 blinky and I found it a massive step up from my hobbywing and LRP esc's. I have brakes on the std settings and can easily get a lot of brakes on my local technical course. I also run the Fleta Zx motor which has a lot of torque.

All esc's have a feel to them and like everything some work better for some types of drivers than others. As to cheap esc's most of the brands here are all acceptable to race, the only ones that seemed to go pop were the reventon esc's when they first were launched although the newer ones seem to be fine.
Qatmix, would you be so kind to share out the brake settings you got for 17.5 blinky. I understand that you are running Fleta ZX Motor and I'm running SP MMM 13.5T. Just want try out if your settings would work on with my setup. Thanks

Anyway, I'd give a thumbs up for the SP Reventons (Got the Pro 1.1 and Stock Club). Its quite a decent ESC. Able to keep up if not much faster with the other more expensive brand.
Old 06-04-2015, 11:09 AM
Tech Elite

Where can I download this firmware? Thanks!
Old 06-04-2015, 11:49 AM
Tech Master

Where can I download this firmware? Thanks!
Download and install the Speed Passion Reventon PC Interface V1.1.0.25 and install it on your pc. Then connect the usb cable to you computer and the small end of the usb connector to the programmer. Once this is done, you should launch (start) the PC interface and there will be a button that says update firmware. You don't have to download the firmware separately, it is installed as part of the PC interface, or it is downloaded in realtime by the PC interface. I'm not sure which one it is, but you don't have to manually download it. You will be given like 4 or 5 different firmware versions that you can load via a drop box. Choose the latest one, which I believe is v1.27. It takes about 3 or 4 minutes and a progress bar will be displayed.

http://www.speedpassion.net/us/produ...SP000150&c=ESC
Old 06-04-2015, 11:58 AM
Tech Elite

Thumbs up

Download and install the Speed Passion Reventon PC Interface V1.1.0.25 and install it on your pc. Then connect the usb cable to you computer and the small end of the usb connector to the programmer. Once this is done, you should launch (start) the PC interface and there will be a button that says update firmware. You don't have to download the firmware separately, it is installed as part of the PC interface, or it is downloaded in realtime by the PC interface. I'm not sure which one it is, but you don't have to manually download it. You will be given like 4 or 5 different firmware versions that you can load via a drop box. Choose the latest one, which I believe is v1.27. It takes about 3 or 4 minutes and a progress bar will be displayed.

http://www.speedpassion.net/us/produ...SP000150&c=ESC
Thanks for your patience. New to SP...
Old 06-04-2015, 12:51 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I never had much luck using the SP software, but the LCD boxes they give you have worked great for me.
Old 06-04-2015, 01:21 PM
Tech Master

Has anybody used this ESC? http://www.skyrc.com/index.php?route...product_id=206

What's the feedback on it? How does it compare to SP and HW?

*Trivia: I just learned that ESCs are like pacemakers. Wow good technology on RC Cars eh?
They work great we have a few guys run them up here, it was actually our big Hobby chain Great Hobbies that had them ROAR approved. I use the 1s version in my 1/12th scale it works as good as the viper and tekin that I used before. Skyrc is a BIG OEM for a lot of different companies. They don't copy stuff like some would say they make something and if you order enough they will put your name on it and the software. I am sure it is 1000 units minimum, they were shopping the 1s version 2 years ago to companies before they put their own name on it.
Old 06-04-2015, 03:31 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by eR1c
I never had much luck using the SP software, but the LCD boxes they give you have worked great for me.
Just an FYI - In order to have all the functionality of the LCD programming box, you need to have the latest software loaded on it.
Old 06-04-2015, 04:13 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by cplus
I have absolutely no doubt it would work well when set up correctly (saying this from experience with MM products generally, not this one specifically)
Maybe I didn't find the right settings but I think there is something not quite right IMO.
Old 06-04-2015, 04:16 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Just an FYI - In order to have all the functionality of the LCD programming box, you need to have the latest software loaded on it.
-yes, I get that. ...I can connect the box to my computer and update the firmware. But I have yet to be able to actually get the software to recognize my ESC. ...BUT like said, the box seems to work fine, so I haven't spent too much time trying to troubleshoot it ...not worth he hassle.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.