Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Stepping up from 13.5 to open >

Stepping up from 13.5 to open

Stepping up from 13.5 to open

Old 05-24-2015, 05:58 PM
  #1  
Tech Regular
Thread Starter
iTrader: (23)
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Melbourne, VIC
Posts: 461
Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)
Default Stepping up from 13.5 to open

Hi guys, i've been running 13.5 blinky for a while now and wanting to make the step up to open class. But i'm not really sure how to do it in terms of motor progression. I have heard of some people progressively go down in motor turns (13.5 -> 8.5 -> 4.5) in order to slowly step up to 4.5t motors.

I want to ask if you guys think it is too much going straight from 13.5 to 4.5 motors + timing?
Zhangesh is offline  
Old 05-24-2015, 06:34 PM
  #2  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (11)
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 2,645
Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default

Why not try running your current motor with some turbo/boost and go from there?

13.5T boosted is pretty damn quick!
cplus is offline  
Old 05-24-2015, 11:12 PM
  #3  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (41)
 
Dan the Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Perth, W.A
Posts: 2,173
Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)
Default

This is a good thread to read on the subject:

Let's talk modified
Dan the Man is online now  
Old 05-25-2015, 12:58 AM
  #4  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (27)
 
dan_vector's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 4,182
Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by cplus View Post
Why not try running your current motor with some turbo/boost and go from there?

13.5T boosted is pretty damn quick!
+1. I would also recommend 13.5t boosted as a stepping stone to full mod 4.5t.
dan_vector is offline  
Old 05-25-2015, 05:26 AM
  #5  
Tech Master
iTrader: (17)
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Hobart TAS Australia
Posts: 1,067
Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Default

I have recently stepped up myself
While 13.5 boosted is faster (used to run that too), the power curve is very different.
Your better off with a 5.5-6.5 and dial down your settings to start with
lethallee69 is offline  
Old 05-25-2015, 05:43 AM
  #6  
Tech Regular
Thread Starter
iTrader: (23)
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Melbourne, VIC
Posts: 461
Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Dan the Man View Post
This is a good thread to read on the subject:

Let's talk modified
Damn good thread. Thanks for that.
Zhangesh is offline  
Old 05-25-2015, 01:20 PM
  #7  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (10)
 
Jochim_18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: CALI
Posts: 2,421
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default

What really help to have a smoother throttle fingers is run 2wd open mod or 4wd open buggy.
Jochim_18 is offline  
Old 05-25-2015, 02:16 PM
  #8  
Tech Fanatic
 
Salkin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 882
Default

You could start with a 5.5T in blinky and add timing/boost as you get used to the power and eventually progress to 4.5T. If that's even necessary, depending on the size of track you're running.
Salkin is offline  
Old 05-25-2015, 03:00 PM
  #9  
Tech Elite
 
Skiddins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Windsor, UK
Posts: 4,902
Default

Originally Posted by Zhangesh View Post
Hi guys, i've been running 13.5 blinky for a while now and wanting to make the step up to open class. But i'm not really sure how to do it in terms of motor progression. I have heard of some people progressively go down in motor turns (13.5 -> 8.5 -> 4.5) in order to slowly step up to 4.5t motors.

I want to ask if you guys think it is too much going straight from 13.5 to 4.5 motors + timing?
What size track?
Skiddins is offline  
Old 05-25-2015, 04:31 PM
  #10  
Tech Regular
Thread Starter
iTrader: (23)
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Melbourne, VIC
Posts: 461
Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Skiddins View Post
What size track?
About 50m x 25m, 50m straight med grip asphalt
Zhangesh is offline  
Old 05-25-2015, 04:34 PM
  #11  
Tech Regular
Thread Starter
iTrader: (23)
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Melbourne, VIC
Posts: 461
Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Salkin View Post
You could start with a 5.5T in blinky and add timing/boost as you get used to the power and eventually progress to 4.5T. If that's even necessary, depending on the size of track you're running.
Most mod guys at my track run 4.5t motors, I've been reading some other threads and it seems like a good way to go is to start with a low turn motor and dumb it down until I can control the power rather than getting an 8.5 or something. But mostly practice practice practice I guess...
Zhangesh is offline  
Old 05-26-2015, 06:13 AM
  #12  
Tech Elite
 
Skiddins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Windsor, UK
Posts: 4,902
Default

Originally Posted by Zhangesh View Post
Most mod guys at my track run 4.5t motors, I've been reading some other threads and it seems like a good way to go is to start with a low turn motor and dumb it down until I can control the power rather than getting an 8.5 or something. But mostly practice practice practice I guess...
Get a 4.5 and run it in blinky.

P.S. The gap between 13.5 blinky and boosted isn't enough to make it worth it (yes, I've run both and run open Mod at nationals)
Skiddins is offline  
Old 05-28-2015, 07:39 AM
  #13  
Tech Regular
Thread Starter
iTrader: (23)
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Melbourne, VIC
Posts: 461
Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Skiddins View Post
Get a 4.5 and run it in blinky.

P.S. The gap between 13.5 blinky and boosted isn't enough to make it worth it (yes, I've run both and run open Mod at nationals)
Will do. I have heard that running some boost instead of blinky can make the car easier to drive in the infield? Is there any merit to this?

I have also heard of people recommending new mod drivers to start off with turbo only and no boost though... So a little bit of conflicting recommendations there
Zhangesh is offline  
Old 05-28-2015, 08:23 AM
  #14  
Tech Master
iTrader: (20)
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Fort Collins, CO
Posts: 1,846
Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Zhangesh View Post
Will do. I have heard that running some boost instead of blinky can make the car easier to drive in the infield? Is there any merit to this?

I have also heard of people recommending new mod drivers to start off with turbo only and no boost though... So a little bit of conflicting recommendations there
Depending on the speedo you use, blinky profiles can sometimes have a more aggressive low-end compared to boosted profiles. Low-end grunt is typically where folks get caught out when starting to run mod, so the boosted profiles can sometimes make things a bit easier. I am currently struggling with the opposite of this right now, where I have made my motor setup too soft and I am losing time out of the corners

Anybody can floor it on the straight with a 4.5t or whatever you want to run. The hard part about mod, especially with a grip-limited class like sedan, is throttle modulation in slower corners. Taming the speedo so the low-end is smoother and you are more comfortable in the middle of the throttle can really help out.

I have never heard the recommendation to use turbo and no boost. I would just pay attention to whether a) the track is large enough to really need boost and b) whether your boost ramp is too aggressive, which could make the infield tricky.
LloydLoar is offline  
Old 05-28-2015, 07:24 PM
  #15  
R/C Tech Elite Member
iTrader: (28)
 
hanulec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: @ the post office
Posts: 9,267
Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)
Default

a 5.0 with a small rotor might be a better option than a 4.5. it will have less bottom end. mod tc --- just run blinky until you're kickin' everyone's butt
hanulec is offline  

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.