Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Quantum Comp/Nosram/TRF ESC

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2002, 07:15 PM
Tech Regular

Default Quantum Comp/Nosram/TRF ESC/Futaba MC800

Can anyone give an inside track to the similarities/differences of these ESCs. They all look the same on the outside but what about other things like internal resistance, software, current, etc.

Last edited by purplepro3; 10-17-2002 at 01:02 AM.
Old 10-16-2002, 07:41 PM
Tech Fanatic

As far as I know the Quantum and the Nosram are the same ESC's. The Nosram is just a Quantum 'rebadged'.
And the TRF ESC is a KO Propo Item.....
Exact specs I'd have to check...
Old 10-16-2002, 08:49 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

pp3: the Nosram, Quantum and Futaba barnds all have the same "quantum type" speedo - same specs, functions, just different packaging. as for the TRF, i havn't seen pics or write ups on it so i can't say. (laro tayo sabado sa capitol! Chameloen spec race!)

rccarracer: what KO esc is it patterned after? is it like a repackaged KO -VFS? coz if so, thats an awsome speedo. that variable drive frequency feature is amazing! i heard the KO was one of the most used esc's in the recent All Jap Nats.

Last edited by ROBORAT; 10-16-2002 at 08:56 PM.
Old 10-17-2002, 01:02 AM
Tech Regular

ROBORAT: and there is also the GM SX9....any feedback on this new one????

So it is safe to assume that the ESCs I mentioned are all the same underneath their different casings???

Last edited by purplepro3; 10-17-2002 at 01:10 AM.
Old 10-17-2002, 04:44 AM
Tech Elite

Quantum, Nosram and Futaba are the same speedo.

Tamiya's TRF is a rebadged KO VFS.

GM SX9 is different.
Old 10-17-2002, 08:58 AM
Tech Elite

I'd like to pick up a GM V12xs. I hear there good. Any comments on them???
Old 10-17-2002, 07:35 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

pp3: yup, they're all the same. i dont know much about the GM speedos though but if what rccarracer is true, the TRF should be a good buy since its a repackaged KO VFS-2000. to give you an idea, this speedo lets you fine tune the drive frequency of your throttle into 32 different steps. think of like like you can have a diff frequancies at 1/4, half, 3/4, and full throttle. probably the best and most innovative feature ive seen among the current lot of speedos. and i believe KO has pattented the VFS funtion so you wont see it elswhere .... unless they agree to tie ups to repackage it .... like with Futaba. oh, and durability is something i cant comment on either.
Old 10-19-2002, 07:31 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

All I have to add is that I love my KO VFS 2000...I also have a Novak GT-7 but I still think that the KO unit kicks some serious arse
Old 10-19-2002, 09:11 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default ? on what is this esc. KO VFS 2000... all about.?

this KO VFS 2000... sounds really awesome. but what all does it do and can you program it ? explain this to me . please ... i am looking for a esc.
thanks....
Old 10-20-2002, 09:20 PM

Default Re: ? on what is this esc. KO VFS 2000... all about.?

Originally posted by gator
this KO VFS 2000... sounds really awesome. but what all does it do and can you program it ? explain this to me . please ... i am looking for a esc.
thanks....
Another opinion,
KO VIS is the most adjustable ESC, no doubt. On the other hand, you would have to remember, the more function it has (which on KO, requires additional hardware), the more works need to be done. Would you rather play and enjoy, OR ending up setting ESC (beside fine tune your car and motor) all day long just to get the right feel for the current layout? And yes, when the layout changed, you would need to find tuning them again.

Does it have default setting programmed from the factory? if so, you would end up feel guilty for not using the most of its features.

In case you have a lot of time to explore, keyence Vzero Xtreme 2002 is a good ESC to experiment with, at least is less complicated the KO VIS and require NO additional hardware to change its additional function. I used it myself but I never play with its adjustable function since I prefer to play while practicing.

Either LRP (Furtaba/Nosram), GM, Keyence, KO VIS are consider high-end ESCs looking from its specs.
Old 10-21-2002, 05:02 AM
Tech Adept

I tend to agree but I would be interested to know How many racers actually exploit all the features of their respective speedo's? I mean when was the last time the car was a little off beam and you went and played with the speedo and the handling problems went away?
Surley there's a case for a speedo with less features as its one less thing to worry about if you have it set right or not?? Especially now that radio's have become so much more adjustable than a basic Futaba unit. Aren't we being seduced into buying ever more expensive speedo's because they are so feature rich, when a more basic unit without the 'Turbo Nutter' feature would do the job just as well??
I can undersatnd it if you are running a 7 or 8 turn motor with top of the range cells but for club racing something more modest must surely be ok.

Any thoughts??
Old 10-21-2002, 05:07 AM
Tech Elite

I agree - the only functions I could imagine using are a drag brake and a "turbo" start function.

Programming the drive frequency at different points of the throttle curve is something I don't think I could get my head around - it's hard enough ssetting up the mechanical side of the car.

Anyway, my radio has a throttle curve function, so if I wanted to milden out the throttle response, that's a lot easier to do from the handset.
Old 10-22-2002, 07:39 AM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by sosidge
I agree - the only functions I could imagine using are a drag brake and a "turbo" start function.
Precisely !

The question is: Should your ESC do the work or your trigger finger?

I got the LRP v7.1, and I'm using the "turbo start" and I've disabled the auto-brake since I'm running one-ways. The first couple of practises with the 7.1, I experimented with the current limiter, which both can be traditionally limited or can be limited for a very short time (variable too). I ended up with no limitations at all. Okay, maybe, someday, if I come to a slippery track and I aint got the right tires.... But the next time I come to that track, I got the right tires.
Old 10-22-2002, 07:38 PM
Tech Regular

Default ESC adjustments

me too!!! i am using a Quantum Competition and the only thing i change is the punch control depending on the motor and/or track conditions.
Old 10-23-2002, 04:29 AM
Tech Elite

Sorry - I must confess to using the current limiter as well - but I don't use it as a "slipper substitute", I just set it so i don't notice it, hoping that it's saving a little bit of battery energy.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.