Rebound

Old 05-21-2015, 01:07 PM
Tech Initiate

Default Rebound

Can somebody please explain what rebound dose. When to use it. And is it worth using. Thanks
Old 05-21-2015, 07:14 PM
Tech Regular

Rebound allows the car to come back to ride height after suspension compression. Without it the car would keep getting lower to the ground after going over every bump. Unless there is a valve in the shock, the rebound damping and spring rate would be the same as compression stroke but in the opposite direction.

More info here:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-9...VkcnFDZ28/view
Old 05-22-2015, 08:30 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

To me, rebound makes the car to bouncy.
Old 05-22-2015, 11:23 PM
Tech Elite

Basically it is this. If you take the shock coupler and compress the shock till the coupler is resting on the shock body, rebound is the amount the shock coupler or shock shaft extends out from the shock once the pressure is released. If after you release the pressure, the shock coupler is still on the shock body, does not extend at all, that's a zero rebound shock. If the shock extends, say 2mm, your shock has 2mm of rebound. If it extends 4mm, you have 4mm of rebound.

The following explanation is not 100% totally accurate, but is close enough. A zero rebound shock will have the same resistance to compression throughout the total shock travel. The more rebound you have, the more the shock will will resist compression and the quicker it will occur. The recovery rates have the same type of action only in reverse.

Whether you want a shock with rebound or not, depends on what type of shock acton you want. Someone commented that shocks with rebound are bouncy. That also could be from shock oil that is too thin, which allows the shock to work too fast. You may want a shock that gets progressively stiffer as it is compressed and then you may not----it's one of those kinda sorta deals.

My advice is to go with a zero rebound shock as your baseline and work from there. Building shocks with the same amount of rebound can be "tricky" and is important. It's more important to get the right and the left the same than it is the front to the rear.

Hope this helps
Old 05-23-2015, 01:12 AM
Tech Elite

Good explanation. A bit of rebound (used within the confines of the above explanation) is needed when you have a bumpy, low grip track. We have such a track. It is old asphalt and it has bubbled up like paint over a rusty surface. That means we need to run unusual ride height, otherwise the cars would get "beached" every fraction of a second or so and a bit of rebound helps with keeping the wheels on the ground. Suspension settings are soft as well.

As for the cars being bouncy, I think a heavier oil would be more likely to induce that, but the springs have an important role here as well. Ultimately it's a function of matching springs to oils, but bounciness tends to happen toward the heavy oil-stiff spring end of the spectrum.