Wiki Posts
Search

hpi rs4 rally

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2011, 10:17 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Armistice
Yah, the HT parking lot races

I'm amused you say aluminum (I have some super thin stuff) would be way heavy :P But I will look into that vinyl stuff. I fig'd that the aluminum would be best because the chassis has cutouts and with anything stick-on then crud would just build up in those cutouts. I COULD put a bit of baby powder in those parts to unsticky them. Yah, that'd work

Still waiting on my servo mount blocks
Heavy is a relative concept. Take a 2.5mm thick aluminum chassis and compare it weight wise to a 2.5mm fiberglass or carbon fiber chassis. The aluminum will be heavier.

In this case, take that thin aluminum and weigh it against the vinyl. The vinyl will be lighter (probably thicker too).

You're right about the cut outs in the chassis. That's why, when you put the vinyl on, you'll go back with a hobby knife and cut out those areas that are not directly stuck to the chassis. Basically the shape of the vinyl will be an exact duplicate of the shape of the stock chassis.
Old 08-10-2011, 07:35 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Robotech
You're right about the cut outs in the chassis. That's why, when you put the vinyl on, you'll go back with a hobby knife and cut out those areas that are not directly stuck to the chassis. Basically the shape of the vinyl will be an exact duplicate of the shape of the stock chassis.
Duh

I thought about cutting out the screw holes, but not the chassis holes, haha

I've been busy so have been lagging on this

Some updates: due to the Castle motor hitting the chassis (and being an old, discontinued model I can't bring myself to trim the chassis to make room) got a new 28T pinion. Got a servo mount, but need 2 so had to order a second one. That mount is my hold up right now. Was actually thinking of using the mill at work to machine one out of aluminum
Old 08-10-2011, 10:10 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Armistice
Duh

I thought about cutting out the screw holes, but not the chassis holes, haha

I've been busy so have been lagging on this

Some updates: due to the Castle motor hitting the chassis (and being an old, discontinued model I can't bring myself to trim the chassis to make room) got a new 28T pinion. Got a servo mount, but need 2 so had to order a second one. That mount is my hold up right now. Was actually thinking of using the mill at work to machine one out of aluminum
How much clearance do you need? If you want, you can put 2mm spacers under all your bulkheads and this will lower the chassis 2mm (actually helps your roll center for on-road use too...). That way you can get the clearance you need without modifying the chassis.
Old 08-16-2011, 08:31 PM
Tech Apprentice

It's finished! Took it out on its maiden voyage tonight

Just need to adjust the steering, get stiffer shocks, wheels/tires, and that plastic coating stuff. This Sunday will be my first race

I'll get a few pics up later

EDIT:

Last edited by Armistice; 08-16-2011 at 08:54 PM.
Old 08-24-2011, 07:05 PM
Tech Apprentice

Was not able to race Sunday because I had to go to work. Almost got away with it too, oh well. I wasn't 100% ready because my wheels/ tires weren't ready

Anyway! It's pretty much race ready. New 29mm springs(HPI 3868),from the stock 40mm, which dropped the front 11mm and the rear 9mm. HPI Mesh Wheels #3711(http://www.hpiracing.com/piw4.php?part=3711) and painted them white (I now see that #3710 are white, lol) with some Associated street tires

Did some finishing bodywork tonight since the front tires, when turning, would scrape, so they shouldn't scrape anymore

So that's about it. I'm not sure how fast it goes, but it hauls

Took it to my HobbyTown so the owner could see it (he's been drooling over it) and was amazed at how smooth it ran and such. He loved it

I'll try and get some pics later. It's starting to get dark, so will get some good pics of it when it's lighter out