Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Decisions Decisions..... Help >

Decisions Decisions..... Help

Decisions Decisions..... Help

Old 05-16-2015, 09:28 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 83 (100%+)
Default Decisions Decisions..... Help

Been racing off road for a bit and looking to get into on-road. The local track runs mostly VTA and USGT. The problem is I'm completely overwhelmed by the amount of choices on-road has to offer. I have next to no local parts support so mostly will order from amain and tq racing. I've read the Team Durango is pretty competitive out of the box but it's on the high end of my $400 budget. I already own a Hobbywing juststock and xpert low profile servo but beyond that I'll need everything. I know every brand has its fanboys but it's like some pointing in the right direction for a new to on-road guy.
Old 05-16-2015, 09:42 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

amain isn't that far from you is it (I believe they are in Chico) - and there's Speedworld near Sacramento in Roseville (I'm guessing an hr. each way for either place.)

For starting out - check out what locals have have for a good roller - there's always stuff available, and lots of times will come with boxes of spare parts dirt cheap.

Both of the listed classes are fun w/ their realistic body looks - and slower speeds than the comp classes - they are both a great way to get introduced to on-road, and both use spec tires, and have other limitations, so you can just work on driving w/o having to chase 20 different tire choices, etc.
Old 05-16-2015, 09:52 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by SWTour View Post
amain isn't that far from you is it (I believe they are in Chico) - and there's Speedworld near Sacramento in Roseville (I'm guessing an hr. each way for either place.)

For starting out - check out what locals have have for a good roller - there's always stuff available, and lots of times will come with boxes of spare parts dirt cheap.

Both of the listed classes are fun w/ their realistic body looks - and slower speeds than the comp classes - they are both a great way to get introduced to on-road, and both use spec tires, and have other limitations, so you can just work on driving w/o having to chase 20 different tire choices, etc.
Yeah, both amain and speedworld are within an hour. I just meant my lhs has 0 on road parts. I went to a race and it was pretty diverse. Couple Yokomo's, X ray's and lots of Tamiya (which look pricey)
Old 05-16-2015, 10:11 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Down in the So Cal area - we have Camarillo (Big On-Road) - TQ, indoor carpet - and CAL RACEWAY - small/medium asphalt. Several good class choices, but also running a VTA (Outlaw class w/ 21.5 motors) and a GT10 class (similar to USGT but w/ 17.5's)

Cars you will see EVERYTHING in the lower classes. Myself I have a few old HPI RS4 Pro2's that are like close to 20 years old (ok maybe only 15-16) and the Associated TC6.2 which I really like. (I love the old HPI cars because of the way their spur gears mount, and you can obtain TALL gearing for the slower classes really easy)
Old 05-17-2015, 05:00 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 62 (100%+)

Is your $400 for just the chassis, or everything else you need to get?
Old 05-17-2015, 05:45 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

There's lots of used rollers for sale on this site. I would scout out your local track first and see what is the popular chassis so you can get support from others at your track.

If you are looking for a new budget chassis the yokomo bd7 RS is around a $200 price point.
Old 05-17-2015, 05:52 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 62 (100%+)

Vbc is a great car for the money.
Old 05-17-2015, 07:19 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by theproffesor View Post
Is your $400 for just the chassis, or everything else you need to get?
Chassis, tires and body ideally . I already have a juststock esc and xpert low profile servo.
Old 05-17-2015, 07:37 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 140 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dpcardoza View Post
Chassis, tires and body ideally . I already have a juststock esc and xpert low profile servo.
My brother just picked up a Spec R r2 and out of the box it's hooked up and fast. I believe it's around $300 brand new. They also make a sport version of it and it's only $120 new that looks pretty decent. They share the same parts so the upgrades for the R2 work on the S2. I don't have any experience with the S2 but you could pick that up for $120 and save big on your budget. With the money you save you could drop another $100 in extra parts and some hop up parts and it would get you racing competitively.

Here are some links:

http://www.tqrcracing.com/shop/produ....asp?p_id=9837

http://www.tqrcracing.com/shop/produ....asp?p_id=7718