R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 10-19-2005, 01:22 PM   #1
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to nutfluff
Default LET'S PLAY:Who's Line Is It Anyway?

Two cars are side by side on an "S" turn. Car Number 1 is a car length ahead and has the inside of the first turn and car number 2 has the outside. However in this type of turn car number two is now positioned for the inside of the next turn. Who's line is the inside for the second turn????? it seems like the car on the outside of the first part of the turn will be naturally set up for the inside of the next part...

Thoughts?

Last edited by nutfluff; 10-19-2005 at 03:43 PM.
nutfluff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005, 01:36 PM   #2
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

The lead car has right of way. If there is room to pass, car 2 should go ahead if he can. But if he causes the other gu to crash, he should be penalized. Or wait for the guy he took out to be back on his feet.
Scottmisfits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005, 01:45 PM   #3
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

How about who's line is it anyways?

Velocity R/C Magazine - vrcmag.com
Rob Phillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005, 01:54 PM   #4
Tech Elite

In ?all? forms of racing, the person ahead has the line. As the following car, its your duty to A) not wreck the person with the right of way, and B) even more so, not wreck yourself.

This all changes on the last lap though
Mason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005, 01:57 PM   #5
Tech Elite

But if the cars are side by side when entering the 2nd turn...

In scale racing, if car #2 can get on the gas earlier and come up alongside car #1 during the transition, and before car #1 turns in to the 2nd apex, then its a clean pass. If car #1 decides to block too late and try to squeeze #2 at the apex, then its his/her fault if they get pushed out and/or crash.

Its easy to tell if its a clean pass even though car #1 gets pushed out or wrecks. A bad pass will cause car #1 to get t-boned in the side and immediately result in a crash (usually with some spectacular airborne action) as he/she has their nose in the lead and cuts across for the apex. A good pass with a bad block will normally cause car #1 to push out first, separate itself from car #2 and may result in a crash if the car becomes uncontrollable, smacks the opposite wall on the wide line, or the driver becomes nervous and/or mad.
Un-sponsored Shoutout: NexusRacing.com
*** 301 Raceway is my home away from Home ***
teamgp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005, 02:12 PM   #6
Tech Regular

I think the car that reach the second corner first, even if the other car was in front at the start, because the first car will take a longer time to get his car setup for the second corner, the transition of the second car will be much quicker because of the line his car already in, I THINK.
Ramyuras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005, 02:26 PM   #7
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Phillips
How about who's line is it anyways?
who's line?... I thought who was on second... what's on first..

SPEEDTECH|FUTABA|KO|ORION|SPEEDWORLD|HARA
rc-zombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005, 03:11 PM   #8
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Its simple, the lead car ALWAYS has the right of way. Should the 2 be cars wheel to wheel batteling for position, the inside car would have the right of way.
That being said I would suggest never trying to pass a backmarker in this situation since someone slow enough to be that far behind you is unlikely to have enough command of his car to complete the section without striking your car. It is also advisable to yeild the turn while in the lead when you feel the other driver is likely to collide with you. Its better to give it up and work to get it back than get punted off and lose your postion, time and possibly parts.
mtveten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005, 03:29 PM   #9
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Sorry to jump in, I do not have an answer, But I was just wondering for the guys that did answer is this just learned from expierence or is this in writing? Laws, rules of racing to follow? I find it somewhat interesting that there is more that just step on the gas and see who is first behind this.
Fervidsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005, 03:35 PM   #10
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamgp
But if the cars are side by side when entering the 2nd turn...

In scale racing, if car #2 can get on the gas earlier and come up alongside car #1 during the transition, and before car #1 turns in to the 2nd apex, then its a clean pass. If car #1 decides to block too late and try to squeeze #2 at the apex, then its his/her fault if they get pushed out and/or crash.

Its easy to tell if its a clean pass even though car #1 gets pushed out or wrecks. A bad pass will cause car #1 to get t-boned in the side and immediately result in a crash (usually with some spectacular airborne action) as he/she has their nose in the lead and cuts across for the apex. A good pass with a bad block will normally cause car #1 to push out first, separate itself from car #2 and may result in a crash if the car becomes uncontrollable, smacks the opposite wall on the wide line, or the driver becomes nervous and/or mad.
I agree with this...It just seems that after the transition the outside car now has the inside line...if the inside car has to squeeze you off at the APEX, he is not holding his line...this is why I believe the outside line is better in the first part of the 'S' turn cause it sets you up for the inside of the second part.

This situation actually happened to me in offroad truck this weekend. I know the onroad guys have a better grasp on lines . There was a small jump before the apex of the second turn that I used to jump into the inside of the apex. It did result in us crashing and he was pissed I hit him, and I was pissed he jumped into my line. (We are friends so it was all good afterwards.)
Old 10-19-2005, 03:40 PM   #11
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fervidsea
Sorry to jump in, I do not have an answer, But I was just wondering for the guys that did answer is this just learned from expierence or is this in writing? Laws, rules of racing to follow? I find it somewhat interesting that there is more that just step on the gas and see who is first behind this.
It's more just one of those unwritten rules. An ettiquite thing. As it was mentioned earlier, it's not really the place to be passing. If the guy pulls over and let's up, fine. But if it's actual racing through the corner, the leader has right of way. This is the way it is in most, if not all, forms or racing. I have been racing different thing since I was 8 and it's been the same everywhere I've been.
Old 10-19-2005, 03:42 PM   #12
Tech Fanatic

If Right of Way is used in corners...where does Holding Your Line come into play???
Old 10-19-2005, 03:54 PM   #13
Tech Elite

Since tight corners are not a place to pass, holding your line will come in there. As well as anywhere else on the track. If your really that fast, you'll drive around the slow guy. It's more of a show of respect when you let a faster driver by. Something else is that if you're that slow, you might not be the best driver. Controlling the wheel might not be the easiest thing for you. But if you hold your line it takes the guess work from the guy passing you, thinking "Where's the guy going to be?"
Old 10-19-2005, 04:10 PM   #14
Tech Regular

Send a message via AIM to Racerbucky

IMO, if you have the line, you get the corner... Now, if you are going into a corner like that and you are car number 1, you should know that you need to keep your wits about you and know where to change your line so that you can take the inside on the next corner... I personally would never leave it open for the guy behind if I was batteling for position, but if he cam up on me and stuck his nose in there, I would not challage it, I would let him have it, then wait for my chance for him to give it up... either way you look at it, we are threading needles through holes at 20-30 mph, 50 ft away... there are going to be accidents, and no one is going to know exactly what is going to happen in a race. I don't think there is a deffinate answer to this question.

-PR S1 V2
-PR SB401
Racerbucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2005, 12:56 PM   #15
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Depends on who has the bigger bumper

KSKT Racing - #1 in SK Racing Chassis
Darkside Motorsports - "WE ARE WHAT'S NEXT." - www.darksidems.com
THE DARKSIDE is offline   Reply With Quote