R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   WTF (Wild Turbo Fan) - OEM? (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/876214-wtf-wild-turbo-fan-oem.html)

Lonestar 05-12-2015 06:04 AM

WTF (Wild Turbo Fan) - OEM?
 
Hi folks

there MUST be someone who can ID what really is the OEM behind the famous WTF and its outrageous price and not-so-subtle marketing... Sunon, or someone else? Badge engineering shouldn't exist in the information era... ;)

http://www.fast-webshop.com/fotky522...yr_48884_0.jpg

Cheers,
Paul

hanulec 05-12-2015 06:28 AM

I think you'll be out of luck on this request. Trust me.. I've tried the computer fan market before. Leo and the rest of the WTF team know what they are doing. These are special built fans for R/C.

Lonestar 05-12-2015 06:48 AM


Originally Posted by hanulec (Post 14004948)
I think you'll be out of luck on this request. Trust me.. I've tried the computer fan market before. Leo and the rest of the WTF team know what they are doing. These are special built fans for R/C.

I think competition-RC volumes aren't enough to warrrant an RC-bespoke product. At least not in the $10-$20 price range. Injection molding is relatively affordable only with volume (setup costs...), and mold costs a lot. Volumes are even more tiny as you consider there are several brands out there who sell similar products, even if considered "premium" (R1wurks, ...). The computer/industrial business is driving R&D activity and production in the miniature cooling business... This must be coming out from somewhere non-RC, and is rebadged and sold at a premium.

By the way note there are no CFM specs provided on the "datasheet". Shame...

Paul

oeoeo327 05-12-2015 07:17 AM


Originally Posted by Lonestar (Post 14004971)
I think competition-RC volumes aren't enough to warrrant an RC-bespoke product. At least not in the $10-$20 price range. Injection molding is relatively affordable only with volume (setup costs...), and mold costs a lot. Volumes are even more tiny as you consider there are several brands out there who sell similar products, even if considered "premium" (R1wurks, ...). The computer/industrial business is driving R&D activity and production in the miniature cooling business... This must be coming out from somewhere non-RC, and is rebadged and sold at a premium.

By the way note there are no CFM specs provided on the "datasheet". Shame...

Paul

I'll gladly pay the "premium" to save a $90-100 spec motor. I have no objection to the current price point, and no desire to source an OEM manufacturer that'll sell me 5 fans for $5 less per unit. Someone did their homework, did the legwork to bring the fan to our marketplace, and the current price reflects the demand for the product. Pricing seems fair to me...

Lonestar 05-12-2015 07:39 AM


Originally Posted by oeoeo327 (Post 14005013)
I'll gladly pay the "premium" to save a $90-100 spec motor. I have no objection to the current price point, and no desire to source an OEM manufacturer that'll sell me 5 fans for $5 less per unit. Someone did their homework, did the legwork to bring the fan to our marketplace, and the current price reflects the demand for the product. Pricing seems fair to me...

Then again you're part of the Solid Gold Racing Team. I'm part of the Aluminium Foil one :lol:

Anyways... if someone's cracked it, please let the cheapstakes like me who refused to get skinned by savvy (ahem) marketing know.

Paul

howardcano 05-12-2015 07:42 AM


Originally Posted by Lonestar (Post 14004971)
I think competition-RC volumes aren't enough to warrrant an RC-bespoke product. At least not in the $10-$20 price range. Injection molding is relatively affordable only with volume (setup costs...), and mold costs a lot.

I would also think that the molds are not custom-made for this application. But a special motor wind and/or motor driver would certainly be a possibility.

2uzferunner03 05-12-2015 07:56 AM

I think these fans are being made specifically for rc. Computer case fans are all 5v or 12v. These rc companies are most likely having fans made to their specs by pc fan manufacturers.

Here's a cheap fan that looks alot like the wtf fan.

http://m.ebay.com/itm/8-4V-3cm-30mm-...-/261749822774

I personally use the superior fan and it withstands lots of abuse.

tc4basher 05-12-2015 09:28 AM


Originally Posted by 2uzferunner03 (Post 14005091)
I think these fans are being made specifically for rc. Computer case fans are all 5v or 12v. These rc companies are most likely having fans made to their specs by pc fan manufacturers.

Here's a cheap fan that looks alot like the wtf fan.

http://m.ebay.com/itm/8-4V-3cm-30mm-...-/261749822774

I personally use the superior fan and it withstands lots of abuse.

I tried that exact fan and it does not blow very hard at all. I tested it with a digital scale and it only blows about 1.5 grams of wind at 7 volts. It went out after less than a day.

I also tested 2 WTF fans. The "windy" model blew 5.5 grams at 6 volts. Their 40mm fan blows about 8-8.5 grams at 7 volts.

chensleyrc1 05-12-2015 10:08 AM

Any one try this one?
http://www.frozencpu.com/images/prod...fan5v-04_2.jpg

Or this one:

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/21...tl=g36c15s1993

chensleyrc1 05-12-2015 10:19 AM

I can pretty much say that a PC fan manufacturer is not going to build "special" RC only fans. They have to be a normal high cfm fan. As for the voltage, most fans will operate in a "range". A 12 volt fan will work with less voltage, just won't be as fast as with 12 volts. A 5 volt fan might also work, but will fail quicker due to the components being over the rated voltage.

patorz31 05-12-2015 10:27 AM

You can use a 12v fan and step up the voltage with one of these 12v Step up regulator
The regulator only weighs .4g and can handle 1.4A

Roelof 05-12-2015 10:44 AM

http://uk.alibaba.com/product/600337...-4010-1-6.html
http://www.alibaba.com/product-detai...883380984.html


Connect it to the receiver.

wingracer 05-12-2015 10:48 AM


Originally Posted by chensleyrc1 (Post 14005315)
I can pretty much say that a PC fan manufacturer is not going to build "special" RC only fans.

I promise you that if I call up a chinese manufacturer, tell them I want 2000 of their 98483758932 fans but wound with x winds of y gauge wire, they will start making them the moment my check clears.

The crazy thing about cheap chinese labor is that a LOT of stuff that comes from there is actually hand made. It's cheaper for them than investing in automated tooling that would require expensive re-sets and programming. Instead you just use the same molded stuff you use in your normal computer fans, hand the girls a different spool of wire and tell them to do x winds instead of y. Problem solved.

Not saying that's what wtf has done, I have no idea but it certainly could be done.

howardcano 05-12-2015 10:55 AM


Originally Posted by wingracer (Post 14005364)
I promise you that if I call up a chinese manufacturer, tell them I want 2000 of their 98483758932 fans but wound with x winds of y gauge wire, they will start making them the moment my check clears.

Correct. There might be a setup fee, but it wouldn't be much.

oladele 05-12-2015 10:58 AM

WTF fans are well worth the cost. I agree with solid gold, I'd much rather spend $10-$20 on a fan than $80-$150 on a motor.


All times are GMT -7. It is currently 12:55 AM.

Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.3.8
Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.