Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
WTF (Wild Turbo Fan) - OEM? >

WTF (Wild Turbo Fan) - OEM?

Like Tree14Likes

WTF (Wild Turbo Fan) - OEM?

Old 05-24-2018, 09:54 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I think the desire for "more fan" isn't the answer. Do good air management, use less power, have less of a hoover on your car. Of course, that's not the "easy" answer.
Old 05-24-2018, 10:52 AM
Tech Elite

Its pretty simple to test the effectiveness of any fan and duct work.
Run your car and take temperature readings.

I haven't created much of any duct work to speak of for any of my cars, however I have tested and tried about 5 or 6 different fans, ...the WTF's have brought my motor temps lower by about 7-10 degrees consistently and at least 5 degrees cooler than any other fan I've tried. I attribute that to the amount of air they are pushing.
Nerobro and massenb203 like this.

Last edited by eR1c; 05-24-2018 at 11:09 AM.
Old 05-25-2018, 07:51 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by eR1c View Post
Its pretty simple to test the effectiveness of any fan and duct work.
Run your car and take temperature readings.

I haven't created much of any duct work to speak of for any of my cars, however I have tested and tried about 5 or 6 different fans, ...the WTF's have brought my motor temps lower by about 7-10 degrees consistently and at least 5 degrees cooler than any other fan I've tried. I attribute that to the amount of air they are pushing.
That's exactly what I'd attribute it to. Now, imagine if you have good airflow on all sides of the motor, instead of one side. Or.. if you have a motor with ventialation holes, ducted air through the stator.

I'll be trying it at some point. but I've got a lot of things ahead of that.

Using the same fan, on my computers, I saw 20 degree reductions in core temperature by doing ductwork to stop reingestion of air. For an open fan, something like 30% the air that comes through it, is re-ingested air. And in this case, is pre-warmed.
eR1c likes this.
Old 05-27-2018, 08:49 AM
Tech Elite

Using the same fan, on my computers, I saw 20 degree reductions in core temperature by doing ductwork to stop reingestion of air. For an open fan, something like 30% the air that comes through it, is re-ingested air. And in this case, is pre-warmed.
Makes sense! ...I am building up a new TC ...I may experiment w/ duct work a bit more on this build (you've inspired me).
Old 05-27-2018, 08:47 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

My favorite ducting is by Layne spec

https://www.laynespec.com/shop/noheat-amx
Old 05-27-2018, 09:38 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by hanulec View Post
My favorite ducting is by Layne spec

https://www.laynespec.com/shop/noheat-amx
That's an attempt, but not a good one. :-) I"ve seen those around. I"m sure that helps reduce reingestion of air, but it's not gonna do much for getting air all around the motor. I think the cobbled lexan ducts I"ve seen would be more effective than that.
Old 05-30-2018, 02:27 AM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

So after more testing and checking ALL my WTF 30mm fans, it seems like the fan I showed in my video was the only one having a problem with the motor's magnetic field. The rest of the other WTF fans spin just fine even touching the motor casing.
Old 05-30-2018, 05:14 AM
JC3
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by disaster999 View Post
So after more testing and checking ALL my WTF 30mm fans, it seems like the fan I showed in my video was the only one having a problem with the motor's magnetic field. The rest of the other WTF fans spin just fine even touching the motor casing.
My newly acquired WTF 30mm fan will stop dead when in close proximity to certain parts of the 12T brushed motor in my Traxxas 4-Tec. At first I thought my fan was bad and ordered another one till I figured it out. lol Can't get too close to the motor! However, I've noticed that there are certain spots on the 12T motor that have much less of an affect on the fan. Perhaps this is the gap in between the magnets. For some reason, this doesn't seem to be a problem with my TSR brushless motor. Although I haven't tried moving the fan closer than 10mm or so or in different positions around the TSR motor. Fan works great on my TSR.

On another note, Can anyone tell me what the square blue piece of plastic (might be clear plastic with blue protective film) that comes in the bag with the fan is for ?

Last edited by JC3; 05-30-2018 at 05:27 AM.
Old 05-30-2018, 08:34 AM
Tech Elite

so.. I'm lead to believe that these fans are just relabels.

Wild Turbo Fan, RC Car Fan, RC Cooling Fan, Heat sink fan, RC car accessories, RC car, RC

That indicates it's the first fan that's not just a relabel. I think they're just running 5v fans at 8.4.

I was really hoping these were custom.
Old 05-30-2018, 10:31 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Nerobro View Post
I think they're just running 5v fans at 8.4.
That would explain the two out-of-box failures I had. But then there's also the one I bought used, and it's on its third year of use.
Old 05-30-2018, 12:10 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by howardcano View Post
That would explain the two out-of-box failures I had. But then there's also the one I bought used, and it's on its third year of use.
It probably explains that too. If you're using generic parts, from what may be multiple manufactures, quality control is going to be something that's not easy to assure. running a 5v fan at 8+v ~does work~ (I've tried it... with generic parts I've pulled from other places)

I need to spend an evening with some lexan :-) Get a duct worked up so I can do some real testing.
Old 05-30-2018, 06:45 PM
Regional Moderator

Originally Posted by JC3 View Post
My newly acquired WTF 30mm fan will stop dead when in close proximity to certain parts of the 12T brushed motor in my Traxxas 4-Tec. At first I thought my fan was bad and ordered another one till I figured it out. lol Can't get too close to the motor! However, I've noticed that there are certain spots on the 12T motor that have much less of an affect on the fan. Perhaps this is the gap in between the magnets. For some reason, this doesn't seem to be a problem with my TSR brushless motor. Although I haven't tried moving the fan closer than 10mm or so or in different positions around the TSR motor. Fan works great on my TSR.

On another note, Can anyone tell me what the square blue piece of plastic (might be clear plastic with blue protective film) that comes in the bag with the fan is for ?
​​​​​​
That piece of lexan is used to direct the airflow into the motor, like a simple shroud. Just use double sided tape and stick it on top of the fan.
JC3 likes this.
Old 05-30-2018, 07:56 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Nerobro View Post
so.. I'm lead to believe that these fans are just relabels.

Wild Turbo Fan, RC Car Fan, RC Cooling Fan, Heat sink fan, RC car accessories, RC car, RC

That indicates it's the first fan that's not just a relabel. I think they're just running 5v fans at 8.4.

I was really hoping these were custom.

That's quite disappointing but makes sense after having 2 40mm fans completely die on me with no reason. I've only had TDX fans die on me after getting rocks stuck in them or having a bad crash and the fan coming off the sticky tape.
Old 09-21-2018, 04:36 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 109 (100%+)

does anyone know where i can buy different length all black jst extension wires like the ones that come with the wtf fans? thanks in advance.

all black wires and connectors or all black wires w/ red connectors
RoyB likes this.

Last edited by LOW ET; 09-21-2018 at 04:50 PM.
Old 09-22-2018, 08:37 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by LOW ET View Post
does anyone know where i can buy different length all black jst extension wires like the ones that come with the wtf fans? thanks in advance.

all black wires and connectors or all black wires w/ red connectors
Check on Amain.com because I just brought the connectors from them.