i run it on my xb4 '17 behind the motor. i dont think it was too close
without a pic... i cannot really envision your layout
im an onroad guy
Old 02-25-2017, 02:54 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by hanulec View Post
without a pic... i cannot really envision your layout
im an onroad guy
well lets say there is no chance the motor electromagnetic- failed the fan... :/
Old 02-25-2017, 03:03 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Originally Posted by grifind View Post
well lets say there is no chance the motor electromagnetic- failed the fan... :/
I understand that
Electromagnetic issues won't kill a fan

Mounting of a fan in an off-road car is important as the unit cannot be loosely placed in the car. Hard mounting to chassis or motor are generally the best option
Old 02-25-2017, 03:10 PM
Tech Apprentice

I understand that
Electromagnetic issues won't kill a fan

Mounting of a fan in an off-road car is important as the unit cannot be loosely placed in the car. Hard mounting to chassis or motor are generally the best option
i am aware of that and thats why im banging my head to understand why i got 2/2 fans dead
Old 05-20-2018, 07:48 AM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I used to like WTF 30mm fans....but I dont know anymore
Old 05-20-2018, 10:06 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 82 (99%+)

That happens when you have a really strong rotor.

The closer the fan is to the magnet (rotor), has an effect on the internals of the fan slowing it down.

Just mount it behind the motor on the chassis as far back as you can safely and it should work with out issue.

eR1c likes this.
Old 05-20-2018, 05:41 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Originally Posted by disaster999 View Post
I used to like WTF 30mm fans....but I dont know anymore
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=CZDhh4zms7A
that is a very common issue
the rotor magnet is very strong in the motor. you must make sure the fan is outside of the magnetic field of the motor.
we shim upto 10mm away from the motor.
Marcos.J and eR1c like this.
Old 05-22-2018, 02:03 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

This is a really amusing thread to read.

So.. in the past, before we had spare watt hours to play with, heatsinks were the rule. anything to cool the motors was done with natural airflow. Bodies, and chassis were designed to move air around the motor.

Speaking of moving air around the motor. There's something I picked up from working on computers.. and dealing with "real cars". Ductwork matters. It doesn't take a whole lot of air to make a HUGE difference in cooled object temperature. Heat transfer is about the difference in temperature. Depending on how muc hheat you're dumping into the airflow, twice as much air doesn't net you twice as much cooling. The relationships involved are also .. i'm going to call them Asymptotic, so the harder you work, you're making less and less of a difference.

I think... "any fan" and good ductwork should be what people are looking for. As opposed to just kicking up huge amounts of turbulant air around their motor. If you can keep the cooling air, moving, an near the case of the motor, or even, if you're clever, get air pressure fed into the cooling holes on the motor, you're going to do a lot better than just a fan mounted near a metal block.

At least a few people at my track have made some halfhearted attempts at ductwork. The TC4, also had a duct available from Team Associated for just that purpose. I think so does the TT02.
Old 05-22-2018, 07:04 PM
Regional Moderator

Originally Posted by imprsme View Post
That happens when you have a really strong rotor.

The closer the fan is to the magnet (rotor), has an effect on the internals of the fan slowing it down.

Just mount it behind the motor on the chassis as far back as you can safely and it should work with out issue.
that is a very common issue
the rotor magnet is very strong in the motor. you must make sure the fan is outside of the magnetic field of the motor.
we shim upto 10mm away from the motor.
The thing is, I have tried using another brand of motor fan at the exact same location and did not encounter that issue, even extreme cases where the fan is basically on the motor and still did no have any issue where the magnetic field of the motor could affect the fan to that degree.

To say this is a common issue and brush aside the fact that the fan's specific job is to cool down a motor with strong magnetic field is just lazy. You would think that they would take that into account and add some EMI shield to combat that issue. With how marked up these fans are, they surely could afford it.

Mounting the fan as far back and away from the motor's magnetic field would be ideal, but not every application have that kind of space for it.
Old 05-22-2018, 07:45 PM
Tech Rookie

My wtf's break a lot.
Old 05-22-2018, 08:40 PM
Tech Fanatic

My WTF fans just die for no reason Stopped using them now.
Old 05-22-2018, 08:47 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally Posted by disaster999 View Post
The thing is, I have tried using another brand of motor fan at the exact same location and did not encounter that issue, even extreme cases where the fan is basically on the motor and still did no have any issue where the magnetic field of the motor could affect the fan to that degree.

To say this is a common issue and brush aside the fact that the fan's specific job is to cool down a motor with strong magnetic field is just lazy. You would think that they would take that into account and add some EMI shield to combat that issue. With how marked up these fans are, they surely could afford it.

Mounting the fan as far back and away from the motor's magnetic field would be ideal, but not every application have that kind of space for it.
Iím curious what other brand you tried? More importantly does it move air like a WTF? Donít forget itís not just the motor magnet at work but also the strength of the fans magnet. WTF fans arenít just powerful because of wire winds they also have a strong magnet.
Old 05-22-2018, 09:54 PM
Regional Moderator

Originally Posted by Vintagedriver View Post

Iím curious what other brand you tried? More importantly does it move air like a WTF? Donít forget itís not just the motor magnet at work but also the strength of the fans magnet. WTF fans arenít just powerful because of wire winds they also have a strong magnet.
TDX 40mm ultra boost,
https://www.facebook.com/TDX-Factory-224772110947622/
TDX NEW generations 40mm ultra boost cooling fan ver. 2

The WTF was is a 30mm fan and the TDX fan is a 40mm, but its the basic construction is the same. Theres not much point to a fan with strong magnets if it is easily affected by the magnetic field of the motor. The TDX easily moves a lot more air than a WTF fan of the same size.
WagwanBumba likes this.
Old 05-23-2018, 03:42 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by grifind View Post
i am aware of that and thats why im banging my head to understand why i got 2/2 fans dead
Did you do a direct hook up to the battery to see if the fan works. Because depending on which model of the WTF you have. It might not be receiving the proper voltage to work.
Old 05-23-2018, 04:45 PM
Tech Champion

My wtf fan is pretty noisy, but works.... You'll need to place it far from the motor though.....

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.