R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 10-17-2005, 10:39 PM   #16
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to josh69162

It's probably a mm or so thick. I haven't actually pulled mine off yet, but I would imagine that any sticky residue could easily be taken off my Goof Off. It's very noticable though, and it turns the chassis into more of a foggy white color.
-Josh
josh69162 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005, 05:29 AM   #17
Tech Adept

One of our club members has used strips of "circuit board"(fibreglass) about 2mm thick & about 10mm wide. He`s screwed them on the very front & rear of his PRO 4, using the already available screws & holes.

The idea is that when it bottoms out it hits these strips B4 the chassis hits, & his chassis is like brand new.

Cheers
Power by Feral
Sanwa MX-3 FHSS
NOZ69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005, 04:27 AM   #18
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricO3
Where would be the best place to get a sheet of lexan, any thickness? I think it wuold be fairly easy to make a lexan chassis protector.

I found some things here: US Plastics but I dont know what would be the best option. I'm thinking something like the plastic used on monster truck bodies, i think they're like .060" plastic. That type of plastic, but around .020-.030" were i could make holes for the screws on the underside of chassis and also holes so i could mount it to the chassis somehow. I just want something that I can use for racing asphalt every once in a while, and take it off for carpet without having to deal with an adhesive.
No idea who would sell you a sheet of lexan, suppose you could start asking anyone that manufactures bodyshells if they would sell you some, never know if enough of us ask they might start selling sheets of lexan for chassis protection purposes .030" is the std thickness of most bodyshells and would be more than enough. I only started using the lexan sheet on my car about half way through the year and the amount of abuse it has taken in 6/7 outdoor races is just unbelievable, if i wasnt using it i probably would be looking towards a new chassis by now And i was wrong before it the lexan only weighs 23g's after trimming, i'll see if i can get some pics of it so it shows up the damage...
Old 10-19-2005, 02:23 PM   #19
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

A friend of mine has this really cool idea....

You know the decal sheet that comes with Tamiya bodies or HPI bodies, those ones with all the appropriate real counterpart sponsors???

....If you have one laying around that you never cut or used

It's not so thick like the AE and it works well. Just stick that whole sheet on the chassis then trim the decal sheet according to the chassis..... VOILA!!!

Here is one I just took from HPI site.... but you get the idea...

Dom
Old 10-19-2005, 02:47 PM   #20
Company Representative

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

good Idea DOM....

I also use some Avery graphite vinyl.
Tres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005, 04:06 PM   #21
Tech Addict

Send a message via AIM to josh69162

One thing I wouldn't worry about is weight. If it weighs 23 grams or 2.3, it is putting weight in the lowest possible place, so it may actually be lowering your CG. But since our cars are already underweight, it isn't anything to worry about.
-Josh
josh69162 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005, 05:56 PM   #22
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

One thing that I have used that I kind of liked was to use stickly laminate. Not the kind that you have to heat up but just the kind where you put say your drivers license in it and fold it in half. Its very thin and works good and is cheap so you wont have to worry about getting more. I bought a box of like 50 sheets for $8.00
toughtrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005, 06:46 PM   #23
Tech Addict

This one I've never tried but seen on an old guy's pro4 and he said it works great: he bought a sheet of self adhesive plastic foil they sell for protecting dirt bikes licence plates (I assume it is a similar material that they use to protect nascar windshields but I'm not sure about that) very easy to wotk with and easy to remove. It is also good when the chassis bottoms out. It won't drag the car since it is very smooth and shiniy.
cvt01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005, 06:58 PM   #24
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

On my RDX, I only put the AE stuff in the critical areas...

A E - 12R5.2 _ S M - REV8 PRO

Last edited by JayBee; 09-12-2008 at 10:31 PM.
JayBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005, 07:24 PM   #25
Tech Regular

Send a message via AIM to EricO3 Send a message via MSN to EricO3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBee
On my RDX, I only put the AE stuff in the critical areas...
That stuff looks pretty durable. Say you bottom out on a turn on asphalt and scrape the chassis a little bit, would that stop the scratch?
EricO3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005, 09:07 PM   #26
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

I didn't have a problem; I always ran max. ride height and droop settings that I could get away with.

A E - 12R5.2 _ S M - REV8 PRO
JayBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005, 09:24 PM   #27
Tech Adept

The AE Chassis Protector is the best investment I have ever made. Durable as hell. You'll destroy the whole car before you even see any signs of abuse on the protector.

It's closer to 0.5mm thick. Weighs next to nothing. Putting weight so low would actually lower the center of gravity. If your car is balanced and underweight, that's just more incentive to put this thing on.

Practice safe sex ladies and gents.
Goonish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2005, 01:31 PM   #28
Tech Regular

Send a message via AIM to EricO3 Send a message via MSN to EricO3

Looks like i'll try out the ae stuff. I was also thinking that maybe if i could get ahold of some thin plastic or something, i could make make like a 2 cm strip going all around the edge of the chassis...I dont know
EricO3 is offline   Reply With Quote