Wiki Posts
Search

M11 and Novak Switchables?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2005, 07:29 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default M11 and Novak Switchables?

I just got the M11, I've heard you can drill two holes (to allow for the extra pins on the M11) in the circuit board of the Novak module and it will work fine, but has anyone done this to know first hand whether it worked right or not?

Also, another question, the M11 receiver is the same exact part number as the older blue micro receiver that came with the M8, so does that mean the quicker response time in the M11 is determined by the radio and not the receiver. If they are using the same receivers as before it would seem you could then use a Novak switchable with the M11 module and get the quicker response time, but I was hoping someone more versed on it could let me know.

Thanks for any help and advice!

racer-oZ
Old 09-23-2005, 08:51 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Yes, the novak module will work. I picked up my M11 a few months ago and got a used switch off ebay for $40. I emailed novak and their response was that their team drivers were just drilling the two extra holes as you mentioned. I easily did this mod to mine and it has worked fine ever since. As far as the speed issue goes, I'm guessing the two extra pins make the transmitter send signals a little quicker to whatever receiver you use (Airtronics,JR,Hitec).. All make receivers that will work with the M11. I just swithed from a JR transmitter that had a "normal", and "high response mode" ment to be used with digital servo's only. It was all in the transmitter programming, nothing to do with the receiver, I suppose the M11 is the same way. Personally I like the JR RS310 receivers with the M11, there cheap, small, and have excellent range.
Old 09-24-2005, 07:03 AM
Tech Master

hobbipro, thanks for the info, I just wanted to hear from someone who did it themselves vs. just people telling me it would work.

Hey have you messed much with the compensation mixing feature yet? I'm trying to figure out exactly what situation people would use that feature in.

racer-oZ
Old 09-24-2005, 07:25 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

I have not messed with the comp mixing at all, just read over it breifly. Seems like it calculates a certain amount of servo travel (or lack thereof) for the steering servo as throttle is being applied. I take it as some sort of dual rate that as the trigger is pulled reduces steering. It also says it can be used on the throttle servo too, not sure why anyone would want to do that anyway. I could see this being used in gas boats or something fast that if too much steering is given it could mean disaster.........But then again maybe I'm wrong about it, Someone with more M11 experience that actually uses it could explain it better.
Old 09-24-2005, 11:33 PM
Tech Fanatic

I did the same to my M11 with the novak module with a dremel and it works fine. I did notice a faster response with the OEM M11 module vs my M8 novak one. I hope Novak makes a module for the M11 sometime soon so we can utilize the faster speed. Does anyone know if the spektrum module have similar problems with speed? I'm planning to get the spektrum setup and want to know if anyone has had any problems with it.

Thanks
Old 10-16-2005, 04:45 PM

Has anyone else had any issues novaksyn module/M11
Old 10-16-2005, 05:13 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I did the same thing to my Switch as I did to my Spektrum. I just drilled out the holes bigger than what they are on the others are. I have used mine quite a bit since I got my M11 with no problems.
Old 10-16-2005, 10:21 PM
Tech Master

i should update here and say i successfully drilled the 2 holes in the novak module without any issues and have raced it two weekends including our regionals and had zero problems running the switchable in the m11

racer-oZ
Old 10-16-2005, 10:26 PM
Tech Elite

what I read from car-action mag is that the 2 extra pins was for the quicker response. i could be wrong though