Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Motor Overheating - HELP!! >

Motor Overheating - HELP!!

Motor Overheating - HELP!!

Old 04-23-2015, 02:52 PM
Tech Rookie

Questions?? Motor Overheating - HELP!!

i've just recently got into electric on-road after changing from nitro off-road (Savage SS 4.6 Big Block). Just bought a Maverick Evo DC from someone on gumtree and according to him the previous owner used it for racing and the pinion and spur ratio was perfect but i ran it for a matter of 2 minutes and the motor started overheating. the current set up is a 24T pinion with a 48T spur and i'm just wondering if the ratio is out of proportion with the motor? motor is currently a brushed 13T as standard. if it isn't the gearing ratio what else could it be?
Old 04-23-2015, 03:07 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Poole_JD View Post
i've just recently got into electric on-road after changing from nitro off-road (Savage SS 4.6 Big Block). Just bought a Maverick Evo DC from someone on gumtree and according to him the previous owner used it for racing and the pinion and spur ratio was perfect but i ran it for a matter of 2 minutes and the motor started overheating. the current set up is a 24T pinion with a 48T spur and i'm just wondering if the ratio is out of proportion with the motor? motor is currently a brushed 13T as standard. if it isn't the gearing ratio what else could it be?
Try some different pinions or pinion/spur combinations (your FDR for where you are running is off). Also check to see if something isn't binding on the car (bad bearing{s} somewhere, binding in a diff or outdrive, etc.), making the motor work harder to get the car moving.
Old 04-23-2015, 03:15 PM
Tech Rookie

i ordered a 64T spur and a 21T pinion because on the back of the instruction manual the owner who used it for racing wrote down what it should be run at to get a 8.3 ratio. i haven't fully researched what the ratio's mean so i'm not 100% sure on if what they wrote down is right or not?
Old 04-23-2015, 04:39 PM
Tech Master

48s to 24p was set up for speed. The pinion and spur you ordered may do just fine. Heat develop in a electric motor especially brushed motor will heat up. Just use a lower pinion. 28TT 70 to 18T motor are consider a stock motor they need the hi pinion. 17T to 10T intermediate, 10T or lower the faster. Its been awhile since ran brushed. Blushless now, and better motor to upgrade to.
Old 04-23-2015, 08:25 PM
Tech Regular

Like everyone else that asks your going nowhere....well slow...with that brushed motor. Your gearing most likely is off but it would make since to just fit a brushless system budget allowing. Your basically running/hpi is selling windows 95 and it's 2015! Wish these manufacturers would get a clue and just abandon brushed all together.
Old 04-24-2015, 04:35 PM
Tech Rookie

Ran it again today for literally 2 minutes and the motors completely burnt out so I've ordered a brushless motor. Will a 21T pinion and a 64T spur be alright with the standard brushless maverick motor?
Old 04-24-2015, 07:02 PM
Tech Adept

The final gear ratio for your car (or any touring car, for that matter) is equal to the spur divided by pinion times the internal ratio of the gearbox (or pulleys). According to info on HPI's website, the internal ratio of your car is 2.92, so:

Final ratio = spur / pinion * 2.92

48spur/21pinion would be 6.68:1
64spur/21pinion would be 8.91:1 - this should be "safe" for the 3215Kv motor you've ordered.

Hopefully you also ordered a brushless ESC with the motor. You can't run a brushless motor with the brushed ESC.
Old 04-25-2015, 02:56 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

If you still have overheating with your new gearing and motor try adding a fan and/or a heat sink that fits onto the motor. Entegy makes a nice heat sink/fan combo, although their fans don't have the best reputation they will help. High speed fans are available and I use one that claims to spin at 35,000 RPM....it is very fast and moves a lot of air.

Last edited by OttoKrosse; 04-25-2015 at 03:10 PM.
Old 04-30-2015, 03:41 AM
Tech Rookie

New motor came today, fitted nice and easily but my new pinion and spur won't bind together!! The spur doesn't fit right!! :/ any ideas? I ordered the maverick evo DC 64T 0.6 module but I don't think it was right :/ help anyone?
Old 04-30-2015, 03:49 PM
Tech Adept

Based on information on HPI's web page located here:

http://www.hpiracing.co.uk/piw.php?partNo=MV12606

the stock gears for your car are 0.8 module. Or get one of these:
http://www.hpiracing.co.uk/piw.php?partNo=MV12606
and use 48-pitch gears (or 0.6 module if you prefer).