Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
getting back into touring car >

getting back into touring car

getting back into touring car

Old 04-22-2015, 10:57 AM
Tech Rookie

Default getting back into touring car

took time off from racing since 2007. thinking about getting back into touring cars after drifting away doing off road. Been reading a lot to catch up with the current designs. Money not being an issue. Whats in your opinion the best chassis to start racing again? I had a team associated TC5 basher which I don't paticulary love but not sure if the TC6.2 is competive. Looking for top of the line racing chassis for 2015. Suggestions besides look at what the other guys at the track are racing and part availability?
Old 04-22-2015, 11:04 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 160 (100%+)

Parts availability and price aside, I would rank the Yokomo BD7-2015 top of the list followed by the Xray T4-2015, Tamiya TRF419, Schumacher Mi5 Evo.
Old 04-22-2015, 12:36 PM
Tech Master

In Western Canada it's Awesomxtix Xray and VBC that win everything.
Old 04-22-2015, 01:26 PM
Tech Regular

If money isn't an issue, and you want something different, I love my Awesomatix Evo 2. Not having to completely replace springs and shock fluid to make adjustments is pretty amazing while dialing it in at the track. Also, the quality of the manufacturing is second to none. Here's some basic info: http://www.awesomatixusa.com/p/unique-features.html

If I were to go with something more conventional, I would probably pick the Xray. It seems to dominate the most at my track with very little tuning required (from what I hear at least).
Old 04-22-2015, 06:55 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (78%+)

Can't really choose a bad touring car now days, the only real issues with cars is the build quality, which can be controlled by you when piecing together the car and test fitting parts. And how fragile some cars can be.
Old 04-23-2015, 11:46 AM
Tech Rookie

thanks for the advice awesomatix wasnt even in my radar but it looks really different. Will be mostly racing outdoor asphalt as there are no indoor tracks in my vicinity.
Old 04-23-2015, 12:09 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default Touring car

The Team C TC10 is a great chassis. Since they are new, a lot of people overlook the vehicle. It's has characteristics of the Tamiya and Xray. I've had one now for about 6 months and really enjoy it on both surfaces. Take a look for yourself.

The other cars listed above are numbered correctly from the previous post above. IMO, Asomatix excels on carpet and tends to get really hot outdoors since the diffs and shocks are aluminum, at least that was in Florida at the worlds race last year. Hope this helps.

Kris
Old 04-24-2015, 10:34 AM
Tech Rookie

thanks i will look at team c too!
Old 04-24-2015, 10:55 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

As someone who drives and tries to develop parts for other cars, on asphalt, money not being the issue, in the USA, I would go with an XRAY (or AE).

XRAY has the best parts support besides AE. It is also far and above the most durable car out there. The TC6.2 is a great car, but is a little less durable and I personally think is not quite as fast as the XRAY without some upgrades. The XRAY has a great stock set-up that works on carpet or asphalt and it also has a large community of users, so finding info is very easy.

The Yokomo is scary fast, but parts support is not great in the USA. While A Main does bring the car in, their stocks are always off, so getting parts quickly can be an issue.

Tamiya has virtually ZERO support in the USA, and while you can get parts from places like TQ, the information out there is scarce for US Based Users. If parts go out of stock, it can be painfully slow to get them and or find them.

All other brands are essentially the same. There are some great options like VBC, ARC, Spec R that make fantastic vehicles, but the communities are small and while the quality is getting better across all brands, nothing is quite an XRAY.

Personally, right now I own a TC6.2, A T4 and a Spec-R. My Spec R is the fastest in 17.5 right now- lap time wise, the XRAY is the most consistent and the AE is the most comfortable one for me to drive. I run them on different nights and finish within 1-2 seconds of my times with any car, in no particular order. My favorite car is the Yokomo, so go figure...
Old 04-24-2015, 11:09 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by CristianTabush View Post
As someone who drives and tries to develop parts for other cars, on asphalt, money not being the issue, in the USA, I would go with an XRAY (or AE).

XRAY has the best parts support besides AE. It is also far and above the most durable car out there. The TC6.2 is a great car, but is a little less durable and I personally think is not quite as fast as the XRAY without some upgrades. The XRAY has a great stock set-up that works on carpet or asphalt and it also has a large community of users, so finding info is very easy.

The Yokomo is scary fast, but parts support is not great in the USA. While A Main does bring the car in, their stocks are always off, so getting parts quickly can be an issue.

Tamiya has virtually ZERO support in the USA, and while you can get parts from places like TQ, the information out there is scarce for US Based Users. If parts go out of stock, it can be painfully slow to get them and or find them.

All other brands are essentially the same. There are some great options like VBC, ARC, Spec R that make fantastic vehicles, but the communities are small and while the quality is getting better across all brands, nothing is quite an XRAY.

Personally, right now I own a TC6.2, A T4 and a Spec-R. My Spec R is the fastest in 17.5 right now- lap time wise, the XRAY is the most consistent and the AE is the most comfortable one for me to drive. I run them on different nights and finish within 1-2 seconds of my times with any car, in no particular order. My favorite car is the Yokomo, so go figure...
What upgrades do you think the TC6.2 needs? I just finished building one myself. Hasn't even hit the track yet.