Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Car LED lightings set up >

Car LED lightings set up

Car LED lightings set up

Old 04-21-2015, 01:25 AM
Tech Initiate

Default Car LED lightings set up

Hi guys, I want to set up LED lights for my 1/10 RC car running on 6500 mah 100C 2S battery.

My intentions are:

1) Headlights, tail lights (brake lights are a plus)
2) Underbody/undercarriage lights

I've gone through all my options so far and this is what I have:

1) Headlights, tail lights and brake lights can be done using UF 7 board that connects to RX -> This is the simplest method I could find.

2) If there are no brake lights, I can connect headlight and tail light LEDS to a battery.

3) Undercarriage LEDS connect to a battery.

My question(s) are:

a) For connecting the LEDS to battery, would you suggest that I connect the +/- wires on the LED to the balance plug of the LIPO, or the main +/- of the LIPO? I believe a resistor may be needed if plugged to the main LIPO wires, but if I plug them to the balance plug, are resistors necessary?

b) Would you suggest that I attached a secondary LIPO to run the LEDS off of?

c) How can I run more than 1 LED (i.e. 2 or more strips of LEDs) from a single battery source?

Thanks guys

Cheers
Corse
Old 04-21-2015, 05:40 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

While it doesn't have all the functions you want, why not use a Tamiya TLU01 or TLU-02 light control unit? It's probably the easiest solution to your problem, and they are exceptionally reliable...
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...91071109,d.cWc
Old 04-21-2015, 05:48 AM
Tech Regular

Why don't you just hook up everything to a single source like a 9v battery. You can group all the negatives and an inline resistor going to each positive side of the led.

I used to make these in the early 2000s and sell online for a substantial profit but now a days you can find awesome prefab kits on ebay for under $20.
Old 04-21-2015, 06:35 AM
Tech Champion

I have made a McLaren body with lights a few years ago. I did use 12v LED strips wich worked fine on 9.6v so I added a small 3cell NiMh pack in serie with the 6v receiver battery. Worked fine.
Also builded a KITT scanner in the nose and mad head and tail lights.

http://www.euronet.nl/users/tooms/mclaren/mclaren.htm