R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 10-17-2005, 04:32 AM   #16
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to ford_racing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soviet
Also...folks need to quit complaining about the "time crunch." I'm sure any club could get the heats in, even with 8 min rounds and mains.
I'd debate that, as many clubs run on weenights and have 8 races to a round, an extra 3 mins of racing for each class will add up to an extra 1/2 hr a round for 2 rounds and a final that is an extra hour and a half of time involved in racing each night and with clubs not finishing before 11 currently there will be no younger generation of racers with experience
ford_racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005, 06:35 AM   #17
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default Longer Racing, YES!

Im all in favor of longer races. we have the tecnology, we dont need more/better equipment, we can do it now!
For a begginner to sink $$$ into a new set up, to run for perhaps a total of 20-30 minutes per meeting........

I dont think twice about going dwn to the track for just maybe 2 or 3 packs practice. But thats not for everyone.
The future of out Sport, (Hobby?) is NEW BLOOD. We need to continue to attrac new people. Give people more track time per meeting if its prctical. (Ford_Racing, i do agree with you, a midnight finish on tuesday nights is not an attractive thing for most of us.) Lets use the rest of the 800-1000 Mah thats left in my 3300's after every stock run!

All you mod guys are a different issue, I aggree, maybe not a viable option. (unless your club wants to envoke a motor limit, but thats a whole nother can of worms! )

Why wait for a governing body to make a decision? Lets ask our local clubs if we can TRY IT!
The cream may still rise to the top, but hey, thats racing.

Over here, Adelaide Australia, the next 2 state level meets im going to, are running a 6 min 19t class, and im sure i could run my stocker for 6 min!

IMHO, something to talk about with your racer buds, and your local club.

Thats my 2c!
Old 10-17-2005, 07:22 AM   #18
Tech Regular

Send a message via AIM to odawg315

id rather see an extra qualifying heat for more tuning than a longer race. make the qualifyers 4 min and have 3 instead of 2 5min. qualfy rounds should be shorter than actual race anyway.
odawg315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005, 07:51 AM   #19
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 77 (100%+)

I go 10+ minutes with my Novak GTB in offroad. Longer races will increase wear and tear on brushed motors if the setup stays the same but it could be compensated for by simply backing off the timing 2deg. and maybe dropping a tooth on the pinion.
Brushless makes all of that stuff go away.

In mind and body, we're all heading towards old age. It is slower to go by bike.
Davidka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005, 08:41 AM   #20
Tech Addict

Default Attract "new blood"

Attract "new blood" you must be kidding,
the entire hobby/sport is organized to drive "new blood" away. Over powered, fragile cars racing on tracks with hard barriers is good for hobby stores selling parts, not for attracting new participents. Having to routinely rebuild motors, drive trains, suspensions maybe your idea of fun but not most new participents.
Simply look at the ratio of racing time on track / to maintainence time required. To race 20 miuntes requires 4 to 6 hours at the track and another 4+ hours a week prep time minimum. It is pretty rare for an activity to gain popularity where the ratio of prep time to participation time is 25+ to 1.
imjonah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005, 09:26 AM   #21
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I dont think its possible to lengthen races in electric, right now with 5 min with my touring car 3300's and a 10x1 i have 10 seconds left in them at 30 amps...

i know some 1 said that put 4 cells in a touring car then you can race 8 min, i also dont think that is possible, for 1 reason...1/12 is less then half the weight of touring car, even if u ran 4 cells in a touring car....

i race carpet in the winter, and nitro off-road in the summer, and 5 min races are a change from the 1/8 buggy mains (45-60min mains)
the 5 mins are more like "dash-for-the-cash" that is why i dont think more then 5 min are needed
Alex_kipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005, 09:36 AM   #22
Tech Regular

How long are the races at the largest event in the country, the Snowbirds?

just somethign to think about.
T. Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005, 10:01 AM   #23
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to TimPotter

That actually has nothing to do with this discussion. This event is scheduled around the length of the racing. If they had 6 minute TC racing then the entries would have to be lowered, and everything adjsuted. And If I were Mike B, why would I lower my income.

Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Thomas
How long are the races at the largest event in the country, the Snowbirds?

just somethign to think about.

IF people want to run longer racing, it starts from the ground up. If there are enough local clubs running 6 or 7 minute racing for TC's then ROAR would take notice. The best way to do it.. .is to do it.
Clean Title & Escrow|p3|TRF|Tamiya|SerpentAmerica|FSEARA|Team Butter|RC 3|Munno |RCTECH #29|EAMotorsports|BMI|Novak|SpeedPassion|RadioPost
TimPotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005, 11:43 AM   #24
Tech Fanatic

Leave it at 5 min max especially in mod to much wear and tear on the motors, overheating, hard on batts, tires, etc, yes we have big run time batteries, but the stress it puts on the motors & batteries no thanks!
Charlie O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005, 12:04 PM   #25
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie O
Leave it at 5 min max especially in mod to much wear and tear on the motors, overheating, hard on batts, tires, etc, yes we have big run time batteries, but the stress it puts on the motors & batteries no thanks!
+1
jamescam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005, 12:13 PM   #26
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to ALL APPROVED

Ratio... Don't let the drag race people hear about that... travel 1500 miles go for 6 sec to only go home because you got beat by .0001 Now those ratio suck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by imjonah
Attract "new blood" you must be kidding,
the entire hobby/sport is organized to drive "new blood" away. Over powered, fragile cars racing on tracks with hard barriers is good for hobby stores selling parts, not for attracting new participents. Having to routinely rebuild motors, drive trains, suspensions maybe your idea of fun but not most new participents.
Simply look at the ratio of racing time on track / to maintainence time required. To race 20 miuntes requires 4 to 6 hours at the track and another 4+ hours a week prep time minimum. It is pretty rare for an activity to gain popularity where the ratio of prep time to participation time is 25+ to 1.
Old 10-17-2005, 01:18 PM   #27
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 77 (100%+)

I think the point is that it would be easy to run 8 minutes on 3300's. You would just have to use a milder motor.
The fact that it's hard on motors and batteries is kind of funny. I knew brushed motors were doomed in this hobby when Twister released the first comm lathes, it's just taken 15 years longer than I thought it would.
If a club collectively thought that running 10 minutes would be more fun than the racers can just adjust accordingly.
Longer race length is one of the things that makes Nitro interesting.

In mind and body, we're all heading towards old age. It is slower to go by bike.

Last edited by Davidka; 10-17-2005 at 03:16 PM.
Davidka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005, 01:48 PM   #28
Tech Elite

I agree that if at a local track level they want to extend race lengths then more power to them. In fact it is in the hobby shops best interest to increase race times as they longer the cars are running the more likely they will break something
Old 10-17-2005, 03:49 PM   #29
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

I second part of what odawg said earlier. If a club has time to extend the race length, I would like to see another round of qualifying thrown in.

One of my favorite parts of this hobby is the 5 minute sprint. I don't want to start having to "time" what part of the race i want to push my tires and when i need to back off to keep them from overheating. And I sure as hell don't want to go back to the battery wars of the late 80's/ early 90's.

The problem with this hobby not attracting new blood is not the hard boards, fragile cars, length of runs. It is the lack of marketing to new blood. Almost all of the advertising done by this industry is done towards current hobbiest/ racers. There is almost no marketing outside of the industry. Team Losi and Futaba have done a small amount (almost undetectable) and Traxxas is finally stepping it up with their full scale monster truck effort. Things as simple as local tracks informing the media about events they are having are not being done.
Old 10-17-2005, 04:06 PM   #30
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Smash
The problem with this hobby not attracting new blood is not the hard boards, fragile cars, length of runs. It is the lack of marketing to new blood. Almost all of the advertising done by this industry is done towards current hobbiest/ racers. There is almost no marketing outside of the industry. Team Losi and Futaba have done a small amount (almost undetectable) and Traxxas is finally stepping it up with their full scale monster truck effort. Things as simple as local tracks informing the media about events they are having are not being done.
I definately agree with this. I really think ROAR should step up and take on this task which is why I was very disappointed with Rick's statement in XRC that it wasn't ROAR's responsibility to attract people to the hobby.