R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 10-15-2005, 04:59 PM   #1
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to Sushi Man
Default I have two qestions

first question- When manual/ setup guides say to make sure your car isnt tweaked make sure your shock lengths are the same, does that mean the rear and front shocks all must be at the same postion on the threaded part? or does it just mean the rear has to be the same and the front has to been, the two dont have to be together ( front and rear)

2nd question Discharging, after running my pack do I have to discharge like on a indireactor at 20-,30 or 35 amps? I dont have one currently, I just put the batteries on my trinity realtime 2 tray. Is that fine>? (i dont dead short)
Sushi Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2005, 05:06 PM   #2
Tech Master

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I would make your shocks all the same length, check them fully extended with a set of calipers. To then check the tweak, use a knife or wrench and lift the chassis from the middle at the back (when the cells are in etc) and make sure both wheels lift off the board at exactly the same time. If they dont then adjust the shock collars until they do, then swap ends and do the front.
berger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2005, 05:08 PM   #3
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to Sushi Man

I see so ur saying that all four of my shocks should all be at the same placement on my threaded shocks?
Sushi Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2005, 05:20 PM   #4
Tech Regular

no that would be preload.....length of the shock is changed by threading the shock end in/out of the shock shaft. to adjust tweak change the preload of the spring by threading your collars.
Ntensweapon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2005, 05:22 PM   #5
Tech Regular

guess i should mention you are some what correct. once your shock lengths are the same, you also want the collars to be the same...then tweak from there
Ntensweapon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2005, 08:31 PM   #6

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Sushi, at this point I would not be too worried about your exact tweak state but make sure all of your shocks are the same, like already mentioned, you want them all the same length when off the car and fully extended. When you set your ride height with the shock collars, adjust them so they are even on the left and right side as close as you can. Once you do this, then you can work on seeing if the car is tweaked or not, but honestly I would not worry about it right now as you have other things that are going to effect the car. As long as your shocks are even from side to side, and your ride height is good, the car is going to be "good enough" for now. Once you move beyond the novice/sportsman class you will want to be more serious about how your car is tweaked for sure, but now it's just one more thing to complicate your life.

As for discharging, there are a lot of opinions, mine is that it's important to be consistant with your batteries more than anything. I personally use a real time tray and discharge the packs on it after a run at 2.5 amps, I leave the packs on until race day which is typically every 3 days for me. If it is going to be more than 3-4 days I will take the packs off. Just make sure your fan works and is connected when you discharge so you don't overheat the pack if it hasn't been taken down much in the car. All of my packs have stayed healthy and consistant this way for more than a year of racing on them.
Desolas is offline   Reply With Quote