Generators

Old 04-18-2015, 07:23 PM
ARB
Tech Initiate

Default Generators

How many of you take a generator to the track? The one that I'll be racing at doesn't have power and that's what people use. I might be able to get on with someone that had one if I offer gas $ but I'd hate to show up and not be able to hook up one day. So it looks like I'll be buying one. I don't want anything that will break the bank or power my house just something big enough to run a power supply for my charger maybe a soldering iron and charge a phone. Any suggestions??
Old 04-18-2015, 07:42 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

You get what you pay for. Cheap generators can pop power supplies.. honda generators are very nice.
Old 04-18-2015, 08:25 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Check your local Home Depot. Ryobi has a 2200, which will power 3-4 people. They are on sale some times for 450-500. Normal price is 600.

It's quiet, easy on fuel, and has wheels and a handle so you can drag it around like your carry on. This is currently the best value for an inverter style generator. The Hondas are nice, and super quiet, but expect to pay about double for a Honda 1000.
Old 04-18-2015, 09:38 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Back when I use to race, I took a deep cycle battery to run my chargers. These days you can get an effective cordless soldering iron too, so unless you are needing a lot of power, generators might be overkill..?

Deep cycle battery: 100-150
Battery Tender to keep battery charged: 25
Cordless soldering iron: 35
Total 200 ish
Old 04-19-2015, 08:13 AM
Tech Regular

That's exactly what I use, a deep cycle marine battery. For ac just hook a power convertor to it.
Old 04-19-2015, 08:52 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 82 (99%+)

A buddy of mine has the one from Harbor Frieght. Works great we have had up to 4 guys on it at once.

Only thing he didn't like is its 2cycle. So you have to make sure you take fuel with you. Since the chances of some one having that at the track is slim to none.

But for the price and size it's a good option. With coupon you can get one for well under $100.
Old 04-19-2015, 09:11 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 2uzferunner03 View Post
That's exactly what I use, a deep cycle marine battery. For ac just hook a power convertor to it.
Good call, I have a converter too. I am sure the newer converters are much more efficient too.

What bothered me the most about generators is the noise and fumes.