BD7 or Mi5?

Old 04-16-2015, 05:40 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default BD7 or Mi5?

Long story short: Time to upgrade my 17.5 chassis. The old XXX-S just isn't getting it done in this class.

I want a Yokomo, but LHS has no access to them. He carries Schumacher and because of that it's the popular brand in the pits. I would rather have something different than the other guys, but at the same time I want to support my local track hobby shop.

It's very tempting to click the internet "buy button", if you know what I mean.

Do I buy what I want and carry the guilt, or do I conform and fall in line with what would feel like a car that was forced on me?
Old 04-16-2015, 05:43 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 160 (100%+)

BD7-2015 is the better chassis.
Old 04-16-2015, 05:59 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

I know what you mean.... But BD-7
Old 04-16-2015, 06:50 AM
Tech Apprentice

Tamiya is also an option from my LHS.
Old 04-16-2015, 07:06 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 160 (100%+)

Originally Posted by GhostTown View Post
Tamiya is also an option from my LHS.
BD7-2015 is still better that the TRF419.
Old 04-16-2015, 07:21 AM
Tech Regular

I have both. My Mi5 is the first one, not the Evo so your mileage may vary. I prefer the handling of the BD7. It's more precise, sharper and carries tons of corner speed. The Mi5 is a fantastic asphalt car, though, so if you run on asphalt or on very low traction surface, you may prefer the Mi5. On high traction surface, the BD7 is much better, IMHO.

On the other hand, if a lot of local guys run Schumacher, it might be the route to go as you'll end up having more support and opinions. I would suggest that you ask one of the guys to let you try their Mi5 so you can have an idea of how it handles.

One way or the other, both are good cars and high quality products.

Martin Paradis
Old 04-16-2015, 07:35 AM
Tech Apprentice

Thank you for the replies.

I race at a small indoor carpet track. High traction, 70X40 foot.

Small turnouts, but reliable. Usually only 6 or so guys running 17.5. Big nights have 10 guys. It's competitive for what it is though because we race 3 nights a week. Just a small town group, in a small town hobby shop. This is why I wish to support the place.
Old 04-16-2015, 07:39 AM
Tech Regular

Then by all means, go with the Schumacher. It can be setup for high traction though it might require more work. Supporting your LHS is very important. You are fortunate to have a local track.

Martin Paradis
Old 04-16-2015, 08:58 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

I have both... and the 3rd Mentioned...

BD7 for it's popularity and lots of setup sheets everywhere for you to try. Lots of guys will say BD7 for this reason even if they haven't tried the others. The Mi5 (non-evo) is what I have. It is driven the least nowadays since it is older, but for outdoor it was awesome. The BD7 is slightly better all around, but the Mi5 steering is phenomenal if you like a lot of steering. I'm still getting the 419 run in and getting a feel for it's quirks, but so far, I've gotten a 419 to run better than any of my other chassis' I've used at my local carpet track. I even own a Spec-R R2 that I won a race series with!

I'd say go with whatever you can get the best support for. Honestly, in the right hands of a skilled driver, any of those cars will do well for club racing. I wouldn't listen to so much "influence" because they're merely opinions for what they've had experience with and they had better "luck" with one chassis because it ran the best "out of the box".

I've personally witnessed guys say a $500 chassis sucks because they can't drive it, only to learn they didn't even setup their car properly because they interpreted a measurement incorrectly when building their car. This is after I looked at their car and asked them what they set a certain measurement at. They throw me someone else's setup sheet and the numbers don't even match their car. LOL

Seriously, parts support and information from local fast guys at your track will make that chassis more enjoyable to run unless you like that sort of challenge and learning chassis' quirks all on your own and tuning your car completely on your own. I've gone both routes. If you can "master" car tuning, then I'd say you can experiment with anything you want and not run what locals run.

All the cars you've mentioned are great chassis'. You likely won't be able to out drive any of them for awhile if you can nail down the settings.
Old 04-16-2015, 10:12 AM
Tech Apprentice

I hate to be one of these people..... but, I am one of the fast guys at my track. Top 3, at least. My old XXX-S is currently the lap record holder, mainly due to my focus on car prep, and I am meticulous about keeping my car clean and in excellent working condition. Old school RC habits die hard.

Until recently, I've been content on running this more than 10 year old car with a 15 year old design. I love it and have many of them. But, the other guys started getting Mi5's, another guy who races infrequently runs an Xray (not available through the LHS either), and the old design is starting to show it's age. Speeds have increased and the XXX-S is just working the suspension too hard. The ball diffs won't allow me to be as aggressive, the weight is too spread out, and frankly.... I've run out of front body posts for it. LOL

I simply don't want to be a sheep and run the same car as the other guys. It's one of the things I love about my old Losi. To everyone else in the pit area, it's weird and different.

It comes down to this: Get the car I want and feel guilty about it every time I walk through the door, or get the car that's available locally and feel like I've been forced to buy something I didn't want.

It's probably just best to buy the damned Mi5 and be done with it. I can make either car work.
Old 04-16-2015, 10:49 AM
OVA
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 82 (100%+)

Hi
If you decided to get the MI5..cause I have a few spares and diff and dcj and mid motor conversion for sell..lmk PM work for me
Old 04-16-2015, 11:02 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 58 (100%+)

OVA, check your PMs....
Old 04-16-2015, 11:51 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

I hate to be one of these people..... but, I am one of the fast guys at my track. Top 3, at least. My old XXX-S is currently the lap record holder, mainly due to my focus on car prep, and I am meticulous about keeping my car clean and in excellent working condition. Old school RC habits die hard.

Until recently, I've been content on running this more than 10 year old car with a 15 year old design. I love it and have many of them. But, the other guys started getting Mi5's, another guy who races infrequently runs an Xray (not available through the LHS either), and the old design is starting to show it's age. Speeds have increased and the XXX-S is just working the suspension too hard. The ball diffs won't allow me to be as aggressive, the weight is too spread out, and frankly.... I've run out of front body posts for it. LOL

I simply don't want to be a sheep and run the same car as the other guys. It's one of the things I love about my old Losi. To everyone else in the pit area, it's weird and different.

It comes down to this: Get the car I want and feel guilty about it every time I walk through the door, or get the car that's available locally and feel like I've been forced to buy something I didn't want.

It's probably just best to buy the damned Mi5 and be done with it. I can make either car work.

Or....
Buy the BD7 and lead the pack if you are "that guy". If demand is high enough, the local shop may start stocking up on parts for that as well. I'm sure the Mi5 started life there in a similar fashion.

Like you said, you can adjust to both, so why not lead the way? Sheep will just follow and do that all their lives.... You were the black sheep with the Losi, the sheep will follow if they see the fast guy do well with it. That goes for the shop as well!
Old 04-16-2015, 11:54 AM
Tech Adept

Ask your LHS to order you the car you want!
Old 04-16-2015, 12:13 PM
reg
Tech Adept

I ran the 5 all last year,
Loved the car initially,worked brill with only front drive shaft option,it soon started to become inconsistent,I put this down to the play that it got very quick as after I'd replaced bearings,hubs,arms it was back on the money,but soon became inconsistent,again,and so on and so on,not a fan of the king pin and bearing setup on the front as that's one major problem unless replaced after very little running,
But don't get me wrong,it's a very fast car,but inconsistent,

I Bought the Yokomo and yes it has wear,but it stops and with no inconsistency,
It's super easy to drive quick,and you are always thinking it's slow,but lap times prove its not,

Another big thing is the Yokomo is a dream to work on,the Mi5 is a nightmare when running All the options you need to run to on par with the Team guys,

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.