Mini Coopers

Old 10-14-2002, 11:12 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default Mini Coopers

So who all runs a Mini Cooper?We here in B.C. Canada are having a blast with these indestructable cars and well they are too much fun.We rally then ,we race em on carpet,we run em on asphalt and jump em even.We mostly keep em stock.The majority of them are M-03 L chassis with a few older Tamiya minis as well there are a few HPI mini's in the mix.
Anyone have any good tips for us with these little guys?
Old 10-15-2002, 02:07 AM
Tech Elite

I'm just race prepping an M03 old cooper, not got any major tips yet.

The mods so far are TA03 Low friction dampers (which need extra internal spacing to stop them giving the cooper too much droop), and heavy diff oil in the gear diff (cheaper than a ball diff, but since the Tamiya gear diffs aren't sealed, lubricant leakage may be a problem).

I've hand made a chassis extender out of aluminium plate to put the wheelbase out to 225mm, to run a couple of HPI bodies - I have a Civic, painted as a replica of my road car (sad, I know), and a Golf, in my "racing colours". I've got the RCboyz (check his ebay store) moulded 225mm chassis extender in the post - looks a bit neater.

Trying to run full-size tourer wheels on it, to use the right tyres (minipins) for my local track (slippy floor).

I'm planning some mods to get more suspension travel under compression, especially for the front end, and a way to cure the major bump-steer the car has as well.
Old 10-15-2002, 06:24 AM
GKC
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

We run them too in Singapore and are starting to have races with them once a month.

For the diff, I use heavy diff grease.
Old 10-15-2002, 09:58 AM
Tech Fanatic

Location: Beautiful Downtown L.A. Where the sky is always on fire and the grass is always brown
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

running M03 as well. Only mods are, the rear toe-in hubs. Using Yokomo medium grease in the diff, bearings all around. Have all my electrics mounted on the sides of the rear section to keep the weight low on the chassis.
Old 10-15-2002, 11:08 AM
Tech Master

I tried running Diff-lok fluid in the front diff and while it was in there it was awesome giving me almost a limited slip posi action but the lube eventually came out and caused the gears to get sticky and sluggish for the motor.I have lights in mine making it appear more scale as well so do a few others I run with.We have been sticking to keeping it looking as realistic as possible while still being able to tweak em in the stock form.Anyone know how to seal the front diff?
Old 10-15-2002, 03:51 PM
Tech Elite

I'm going to try it with some liquid gasket (as used on full sized cars), just around the edges.
Old 10-15-2002, 11:02 PM
Tech Master

I will check my local hardware store for large thin O rings.
Old 10-17-2002, 12:19 AM
Tech Master

Hi guys. Greetings from Malta.

I have raced real Minis all my adult life. The one I sign on with is a 16 valve, twin cam, 1400cc lightweight job developing 180bhp, which i have been racing for the last 2 years. I have built my own space frame cars in the past, with which I won the National Hill Climb championship on two occasions, quite a few years ago.

I also have a couple of 1/10th Mini Coopers, a Tamiya one, and a one off 4 wheel drive one I built myself. It's basically a scaled down Schumacher SST, with M1 Express belts. It goes well.

Regards

Joe from sunny Malta.
Old 10-17-2002, 12:33 AM
Tech Master

Here is mine.
Attached Thumbnails Mini Coopers-mini2.jpg  
Old 10-17-2002, 12:36 AM
Tech Master

And another one.
Attached Thumbnails Mini Coopers-mini1.jpg  
Old 10-17-2002, 12:46 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default nice mini

i have a tamiya mini cooper m03 chassis. almost have all hop-ups, manta ray ball diff, full bearings, light wieght kingpins, stabilizers front & rear, racing rear hubs, heatsink, light wieght carbon diff shafts, rcboyz chassis extender, full size tires, & a hpi civic hatchback body. this car rocks & easily wins versus by friends hpi mini's. maybe i'm a better driver or its the optional parts? (friends have a regular hpi mini & a hpi mini pro) we all race w/ p2k pros.
Old 10-23-2002, 03:14 PM
Tech Elite

just gave mine it's first decent run, on carpet - with stiffer springs, a few steering adjustments on the transmitter, and a new, minimal lift, driving style, she was going around pretty nicely, not on a par with the touring cars, but driveable.
Old 10-23-2002, 05:25 PM
Tech Elite

This is a cool thread. Last night at the track I race at their were about 10 of those little buggers. I used to race one in tcs races and their are a ton of tricks to make them go faster and handle better. On carpet I used to run m-grip tires all around with the ta03 shocks and soft springs. The key to keep it from rolling over is to take some ca glue and put a layer of it on the sidewalls of the front tires. You can then go almost full throttle into a corner and if it starts to come over the glue slips it back onto is wheels again I know it sounds crazy but man it works. I would also break the tranny in with toothpastejust fill it up with toothpast and put a junky motor in and let it run for 12 hours or so then you have to clean it out really good (makes them quiet so they don't sound like a coffee grinder). Also the integy speed tune gears are the ticket as well they really help out. If you take a 1/8" drill bit and go through the holes for mounting a 20 tooth pinion you will be able to put a 21 on and no one will know helps on the straightaways. The best hoppup to purchase is the ball diff it will really pull you through the infield..........
Old 10-24-2002, 01:22 AM
Tech Master

I just picked up a new body for mine as the old one in the picture took a beating in a free for all race(no rules racing).Well now I have the older style Cooper and will be doing a new color scheem.
I like running heavy diff fluid in the fron to get thru the infield as it helps accelleration.
Old 11-02-2002, 05:37 PM
Tech Master

Alright guys lets have some feedback if anyone knows who makes aluminum steering knuckles for the M03 chassis.I thought Kose might but can't find their website.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.