Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
New to RC - Need HELP >

New to RC - Need HELP

New to RC - Need HELP

Old 04-13-2015, 08:21 PM
  #1  
Tech Initiate
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 20
Default New to RC - Need HELP

Hi guys, I recently bought an EP car with a brushless motor. The old LIPO (5000maH, 2S, 20-30C) was puffed and just before I tossed it, the car was able to run fine. However, I bought a new LIPO (6500 mAH, 2S, 100C) and when after charging it up and connected to the car, initially, only the steering servo was able to work. Throttle was completely unresponsive. After messing around with both trims, now, the car is unresponsive to any input from the transmitter.

Also, when I start up the transmitter and then the car, there is a constant beeping sound which was not heard previously.

Can somebody help me??

Thanks!
Corsa88 is offline  
Old 04-13-2015, 08:59 PM
  #2  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (2)
 
snoopyrc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Tunnel Hill GA
Posts: 5,046
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Changing batteries should only make it stronger. I wonder if you have blown your ESC. Did you have the polarity wrong at any given time?
snoopyrc is offline  
Old 04-13-2015, 09:10 PM
  #3  
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 224
Default

try to rebind your radio and receiver. if you have a volt meter, you can check for resistance on your speed control. if the volt meter reads close to 0, then your esc is toast. its possible that your previous lipo toasted your esc. esc now a days have a reverse polarity protection in case you plug it in wrong. however though, if you are using dean's, its difficult to revers the polarity as the plug wont let you insert it the wrong way. your receiver is probably still good if you have steering.

when you press throttle, does the esc make any type of noise at all? also, check for burnt smell on your speed control. hope that helps you! is the beeping comming from your receiver or esc? thanks
c00lguy is offline  
Old 04-13-2015, 11:34 PM
  #4  
Tech Initiate
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 20
Default

Originally Posted by snoopyrc View Post
Changing batteries should only make it stronger. I wonder if you have blown your ESC. Did you have the polarity wrong at any given time?
yep precisely. I was even wondering if the battery was too 'strong' for the esc. The connector for the LIPO was a deans, doubt that I connected it wrong.
Corsa88 is offline  
Old 04-13-2015, 11:37 PM
  #5  
Tech Initiate
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 20
Default

Originally Posted by c00lguy View Post
try to rebind your radio and receiver. if you have a volt meter, you can check for resistance on your speed control. if the volt meter reads close to 0, then your esc is toast. its possible that your previous lipo toasted your esc. esc now a days have a reverse polarity protection in case you plug it in wrong. however though, if you are using dean's, its difficult to revers the polarity as the plug wont let you insert it the wrong way. your receiver is probably still good if you have steering.

when you press throttle, does the esc make any type of noise at all? also, check for burnt smell on your speed control. hope that helps you! is the beeping comming from your receiver or esc? thanks
Currently, there are no sounds made on the vehicle regardless of what buttons i press/change (e.g. trims, throttle, steering). I believe the sound is due to no inputs being detected from the TX (i could be wrong).

What could it mean if the sound is coming either from the ESC or Receiver?
Corsa88 is offline  
Old 04-14-2015, 12:08 AM
  #6  
Tech Champion
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Hawaii, USA
Posts: 7,191
Default

Originally Posted by c00lguy View Post
try to rebind your radio and receiver. if you have a volt meter, you can check for resistance on your speed control. if the volt meter reads close to 0, then your esc is toast. its possible that your previous lipo toasted your esc. esc now a days have a reverse polarity protection in case you plug it in wrong. however though, if you are using dean's, its difficult to revers the polarity as the plug wont let you insert it the wrong way. your receiver is probably still good if you have steering.

when you press throttle, does the esc make any type of noise at all? also, check for burnt smell on your speed control. hope that helps you! is the beeping comming from your receiver or esc? thanks
Surprisingly when BL came along most manufacturers stopped putting in reverse voltage protection. Very few of them actually have it anymore if any.

Originally Posted by Corsa88 View Post
Currently, there are no sounds made on the vehicle regardless of what buttons i press/change (e.g. trims, throttle, steering). I believe the sound is due to no inputs being detected from the TX (i could be wrong).

What could it mean if the sound is coming either from the ESC or Receiver?
More specifics would be good...what car, ESC, Motor, and radio system do you have?

Many ESCs and receivers these days have a power light indicator...are you seeing any lights?

The noises you hear when you turn on an ESC actually come from the motor...the ESC uses the motor as a speaker. If you hear a noise coming from the receiver...that's bad.
InspGadgt is offline  
Old 04-14-2015, 02:20 AM
  #7  
Tech Initiate
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 20
Default

Originally Posted by InspGadgt View Post
Surprisingly when BL came along most manufacturers stopped putting in reverse voltage protection. Very few of them actually have it anymore if any.



More specifics would be good...what car, ESC, Motor, and radio system do you have?

Many ESCs and receivers these days have a power light indicator...are you seeing any lights?

The noises you hear when you turn on an ESC actually come from the motor...the ESC uses the motor as a speaker. If you hear a noise coming from the receiver...that's bad.
Hi there I have a Tamiya TA05v2 running a Toro 1 Cell esc and Leopard 9T motor. I didnt honestly see any lights but I'll do a visual inspection again. The motor actually has a speaker? what happens if theres noise from the receiver?
Corsa88 is offline  
Old 04-14-2015, 02:40 AM
  #8  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (62)
 
theproffesor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Lugoff SC
Posts: 3,303
Trader Rating: 62 (100%+)
Default

It's a 1cell, meaning 1s ESC? If you hooked up a 2s batt, that may be your problem. Twice the voltage that the ESC is designed to handle.
theproffesor is offline  
Old 04-14-2015, 06:36 AM
  #9  
Tech Initiate
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 20
Default

oh i have to clarify that the esc accepts 2s as well
Corsa88 is offline  
Old 04-14-2015, 10:18 AM
  #10  
Tech Champion
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Hawaii, USA
Posts: 7,191
Default

Originally Posted by Corsa88 View Post
Hi there I have a Tamiya TA05v2 running a Toro 1 Cell esc and Leopard 9T motor. I didnt honestly see any lights but I'll do a visual inspection again. The motor actually has a speaker? what happens if theres noise from the receiver?
No the motor doesn't have a speaker...the motor is the speaker. I don't know the specifics of how it works but the ESC uses high frequencies through the motor to make sounds.

This esc? http://www.skyrc.com/index.php?route...&product_id=25

Did you attach the cooler for 2 cell? Also looking at the manual it appears the red and black wires on the ESC are reversed...I hope that is a misprint or a lot of people are going to be reversing the polarity on the ESC. Also there is no reverse voltage protection on it.

According to the manual there are LED lights on the ESC for programming. If you see no LEDs then you likely blew out the ESC.
InspGadgt is offline  
Old 04-14-2015, 05:32 PM
  #11  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (2)
 
snoopyrc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Tunnel Hill GA
Posts: 5,046
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

If you put an audio signal to a motor, provided the voltage and amperage are in acceptable parameters, you can hear it. It might not sound like a good quality speaker, but you can make out the sound from it. So it's not much of a reach that the ESC would use the motor as an audio output.
snoopyrc is offline  
Old 04-14-2015, 07:29 PM
  #12  
Tech Champion
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Hawaii, USA
Posts: 7,191
Default

Originally Posted by snoopyrc View Post
If you put an audio signal to a motor, provided the voltage and amperage are in acceptable parameters, you can hear it. It might not sound like a good quality speaker, but you can make out the sound from it. So it's not much of a reach that the ESC would use the motor as an audio output.
Cool thanks for the explanation. ESCs have been doing this for quite some time now. I think it was the Tekin 410K ESC that first did it. When turning on that ESC you would hear a short bit of the Close Encounters theme.
InspGadgt is offline  
Old 04-14-2015, 08:10 PM
  #13  
Tech Initiate
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 20
Default

thanks guys! the problem has been solved!
Corsa88 is offline  
Old 04-14-2015, 08:44 PM
  #14  
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 224
Default

Well what was the problem?
c00lguy is offline  

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.