Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
New to RC - Need HELP >

New to RC - Need HELP

New to RC - Need HELP

Old 04-13-2015, 08:21 PM
Tech Initiate

Default New to RC - Need HELP

Hi guys, I recently bought an EP car with a brushless motor. The old LIPO (5000maH, 2S, 20-30C) was puffed and just before I tossed it, the car was able to run fine. However, I bought a new LIPO (6500 mAH, 2S, 100C) and when after charging it up and connected to the car, initially, only the steering servo was able to work. Throttle was completely unresponsive. After messing around with both trims, now, the car is unresponsive to any input from the transmitter.

Also, when I start up the transmitter and then the car, there is a constant beeping sound which was not heard previously.

Can somebody help me??

Thanks!
Old 04-13-2015, 08:59 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Changing batteries should only make it stronger. I wonder if you have blown your ESC. Did you have the polarity wrong at any given time?
Old 04-13-2015, 09:10 PM
Tech Adept

try to rebind your radio and receiver. if you have a volt meter, you can check for resistance on your speed control. if the volt meter reads close to 0, then your esc is toast. its possible that your previous lipo toasted your esc. esc now a days have a reverse polarity protection in case you plug it in wrong. however though, if you are using dean's, its difficult to revers the polarity as the plug wont let you insert it the wrong way. your receiver is probably still good if you have steering.

when you press throttle, does the esc make any type of noise at all? also, check for burnt smell on your speed control. hope that helps you! is the beeping comming from your receiver or esc? thanks
Old 04-13-2015, 11:34 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by snoopyrc View Post
Changing batteries should only make it stronger. I wonder if you have blown your ESC. Did you have the polarity wrong at any given time?
yep precisely. I was even wondering if the battery was too 'strong' for the esc. The connector for the LIPO was a deans, doubt that I connected it wrong.
Old 04-13-2015, 11:37 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by c00lguy View Post
try to rebind your radio and receiver. if you have a volt meter, you can check for resistance on your speed control. if the volt meter reads close to 0, then your esc is toast. its possible that your previous lipo toasted your esc. esc now a days have a reverse polarity protection in case you plug it in wrong. however though, if you are using dean's, its difficult to revers the polarity as the plug wont let you insert it the wrong way. your receiver is probably still good if you have steering.

when you press throttle, does the esc make any type of noise at all? also, check for burnt smell on your speed control. hope that helps you! is the beeping comming from your receiver or esc? thanks
Currently, there are no sounds made on the vehicle regardless of what buttons i press/change (e.g. trims, throttle, steering). I believe the sound is due to no inputs being detected from the TX (i could be wrong).

What could it mean if the sound is coming either from the ESC or Receiver?
Old 04-14-2015, 12:08 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by c00lguy View Post

Surprisingly when BL came along most manufacturers stopped putting in reverse voltage protection. Very few of them actually have it anymore if any.

Originally Posted by Corsa88 View Post
Currently, there are no sounds made on the vehicle regardless of what buttons i press/change (e.g. trims, throttle, steering). I believe the sound is due to no inputs being detected from the TX (i could be wrong).

What could it mean if the sound is coming either from the ESC or Receiver?
More specifics would be good...what car, ESC, Motor, and radio system do you have?

Many ESCs and receivers these days have a power light indicator...are you seeing any lights?

The noises you hear when you turn on an ESC actually come from the motor...the ESC uses the motor as a speaker. If you hear a noise coming from the receiver...that's bad.
Old 04-14-2015, 02:20 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by InspGadgt View Post
Surprisingly when BL came along most manufacturers stopped putting in reverse voltage protection. Very few of them actually have it anymore if any.

More specifics would be good...what car, ESC, Motor, and radio system do you have?

Many ESCs and receivers these days have a power light indicator...are you seeing any lights?

The noises you hear when you turn on an ESC actually come from the motor...the ESC uses the motor as a speaker. If you hear a noise coming from the receiver...that's bad.
Hi there I have a Tamiya TA05v2 running a Toro 1 Cell esc and Leopard 9T motor. I didnt honestly see any lights but I'll do a visual inspection again. The motor actually has a speaker? what happens if theres noise from the receiver?
Old 04-14-2015, 02:40 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 62 (100%+)

It's a 1cell, meaning 1s ESC? If you hooked up a 2s batt, that may be your problem. Twice the voltage that the ESC is designed to handle.
Old 04-14-2015, 06:36 AM
Tech Initiate

oh i have to clarify that the esc accepts 2s as well
Old 04-14-2015, 10:18 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Corsa88 View Post
Hi there I have a Tamiya TA05v2 running a Toro 1 Cell esc and Leopard 9T motor. I didnt honestly see any lights but I'll do a visual inspection again. The motor actually has a speaker? what happens if theres noise from the receiver?
No the motor doesn't have a speaker...the motor is the speaker. I don't know the specifics of how it works but the ESC uses high frequencies through the motor to make sounds.

This esc? http://www.skyrc.com/index.php?route...&product_id=25

Did you attach the cooler for 2 cell? Also looking at the manual it appears the red and black wires on the ESC are reversed...I hope that is a misprint or a lot of people are going to be reversing the polarity on the ESC. Also there is no reverse voltage protection on it.

According to the manual there are LED lights on the ESC for programming. If you see no LEDs then you likely blew out the ESC.
Old 04-14-2015, 05:32 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

If you put an audio signal to a motor, provided the voltage and amperage are in acceptable parameters, you can hear it. It might not sound like a good quality speaker, but you can make out the sound from it. So it's not much of a reach that the ESC would use the motor as an audio output.
Old 04-14-2015, 07:29 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by snoopyrc View Post
If you put an audio signal to a motor, provided the voltage and amperage are in acceptable parameters, you can hear it. It might not sound like a good quality speaker, but you can make out the sound from it. So it's not much of a reach that the ESC would use the motor as an audio output.
Cool thanks for the explanation. ESCs have been doing this for quite some time now. I think it was the Tekin 410K ESC that first did it. When turning on that ESC you would hear a short bit of the Close Encounters theme.
Old 04-14-2015, 08:10 PM
Tech Initiate

thanks guys! the problem has been solved!
Old 04-14-2015, 08:44 PM
Tech Adept

Well what was the problem?