Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
newbie, just ordered tamiya ta05 vdf II >

newbie, just ordered tamiya ta05 vdf II

newbie, just ordered tamiya ta05 vdf II

Old 04-10-2015, 08:02 PM
Tech Rookie

Default newbie, just ordered tamiya ta05 vdf II

Okay so I'm new to the rc world, i just ordered a tamiya ta05 vdf II. I couldn't find alot of upgrade parts for it except parts for the regular vdf and wanted to know if those parts will fit the vdf II. And what upgrades should i get as i don't like the plasticky look. Electronics will come later i want to make the chassis look like a beast first, let me know if you can help please thank you
Old 04-11-2015, 09:58 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

http://www.3racing-parts.com/shop/3r...1_582_600.html

- Carbon Fibre chassis and shock towers
- Aluminum shocks
- 2mm screw kit > because there is nothing beastly about philips screws.
Old 04-12-2015, 08:06 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

Originally Posted by (0000000000)
http://www.3racing-parts.com/shop/3r...1_582_600.html

- Carbon Fibre chassis and shock towers
- Aluminum shocks
- 2mm screw kit > because there is nothing beastly about philips screws.
this kit already has all those parts.

I would keep to tamiya parts, but don't get caught into upgrading a VDF unless you have 700 plus to drop on it. bulkheads alone are well over 100 dollars.

however, sticking to tamiya parts, The most popular options tend to be bulkheads, front one way, rear aluminum hubs, front bumper hold down, carbon shock towers, aluminum sus mounts, aluminum wide angle steering set, and perhaps aluminum servo mounts.

I had a vdf 1 though, and having dumped lots into it, start with a yokomo or MST in the beginning if you want to upgrade the vdf. You will end up with a much more capable car in the right hands.
Old 04-13-2015, 06:46 PM
Tech Rookie

Okay thank you for your help guys it really did help me alot
Old 04-13-2015, 07:18 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by ThePanda
this kit already has all those parts.

I would keep to tamiya parts, but don't get caught into upgrading a VDF unless you have 700 plus to drop on it. bulkheads alone are well over 100 dollars.

however, sticking to tamiya parts, The most popular options tend to be bulkheads, front one way, rear aluminum hubs, front bumper hold down, carbon shock towers, aluminum sus mounts, aluminum wide angle steering set, and perhaps aluminum servo mounts.

I had a vdf 1 though, and having dumped lots into it, start with a yokomo or MST in the beginning if you want to upgrade the vdf. You will end up with a much more capable car in the right hands.
I can't seem to find bulkheads for the vdf 2 can i use the ta05 ifs bulkheads on my vdf2? Will it fit?
Old 04-14-2015, 12:25 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by frostxiong
I can't seem to find bulkheads for the vdf 2 can i use the ta05 ifs bulkheads on my vdf2? Will it fit?
You need the TA05 ones. These are part number Tamiya 53990.

A guy at our club also raced one for a while and it was pretty good. You need the ackermann steering set for that though (Tamiya 84150) you can buy that for cheap at the moment at RCmart. Also some drifters prefer that steering over the std parallel steering that comes in the kit.

Last edited by Qatmix; 04-14-2015 at 12:44 AM.
Old 04-14-2015, 06:21 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Qatmix
You need the TA05 ones. These are part number Tamiya 53990.

A guy at our club also raced one for a while and it was pretty good. You need the ackermann steering set for that though (Tamiya 84150) you can buy that for cheap at the moment at RCmart. Also some drifters prefer that steering over the std parallel steering that comes in the kit.
Okay thanks for the parts number, i found those parts thank you very much. But what is the ackerman steering set for, like what does it do?
Old 04-14-2015, 11:08 PM
Tech Master

Okay thanks for the parts number, i found those parts thank you very much. But what is the ackerman steering set for, like what does it do?
The vdf has parallel steering as it is a drifter. This means the wheels at the front turn the same amount left and right.

The Ackermann set makes the front inner wheel turn in more than the outer wheel. This is how most normal cars operate when they steer. Essentially this makes the inner wheel want to turn in a smaller radius than the outer one around a corner.

If you are drifting it's not important, but if you want to take it to a track then it will be beneficial. I bought it for my VDF as an option only. I haven't fitted it.
Old 04-17-2015, 12:05 AM
Tech Rookie

Thank you for your help, also when I'm buying bulk heads do o need to get two sets? One for front and one for rear?
Old 04-17-2015, 04:47 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

Thank you for your help, also when I'm buying bulk heads do o need to get two sets? One for front and one for rear?
To match them front and rear then yes you need both
Old 04-17-2015, 04:57 PM
Tech Rookie

Okay so far I've ordered 2 bulkheads, tamiya suspension hop up, one way, eagle racing drift pulley set, and a rear shock stay, anything else that would make the car perform great at the same time look great please let me know, in process of ordering the Ackerman, And c-hubs but i don't know what ° i should get so any suggestions or advice would be great, thank you ahead of time
Old 04-17-2015, 05:15 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Okay so far I've ordered 2 bulkheads, tamiya suspension hop up, one way, eagle racing drift pulley set, and a rear shock stay, anything else that would make the car perform great at the same time look great please let me know, in process of ordering the Ackerman, And c-hubs but i don't know what ° i should get so any suggestions or advice would be great, thank you ahead of time
Where did you order the bulkheads? Can please share the link? I am planning to order as well. Thanks.
Old 04-17-2015, 06:26 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by SagadSetup
Where did you order the bulkheads? Can please share the link? I am planning to order as well. Thanks.
I got it here, kinda pricy butu i couldn't kind it anywhere else, sry it won't let me link site/url so you're going to have to copy and paste

tamiya-usa.com/shop/en/36969-tamiya-53990-tamiya-ta05-aluminum-bulkhead.html
Old 04-18-2015, 02:59 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

I got it here, kinda pricy butu i couldn't kind it anywhere else, sry it won't let me link site/url so you're going to have to copy and paste

tamiya-usa.com/shop/en/36969-tamiya-53990-tamiya-ta05-aluminum-bulkhead.html
Thanks. Please update us with pics when it arrives. Goodluck!
Old 04-18-2015, 02:16 PM
Tech Rookie

I was looking at aluminium rear hubs and saw some with ° and lbs don't know what those are for can someone explain please thanks

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.