R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   Traxxas XO-1...I just bought this beast, need opinions (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/871285-traxxas-xo-1-i-just-bought-beast-need-opinions.html)

Marko R1 04-07-2015 11:35 PM

Traxxas XO-1...I just bought this beast, need opinions

Hi guys,

I just bought myself a Traxxas XO-1 for fun as I am a speed junkie :)

Rather than convert my RC8.2E Factory Team for the road, I made the right move...I wanted to gain some feedback on any recommended upgrades / hop ups & if there is any advice on tuning / adjusting the car?

Any feedback is really appreciated!

Regards
Marko

Butler205 04-07-2015 11:50 PM

Do a search in this forum. Use the advanced options and select Thread Titles only and search for Traxxas, you'll find at least 6 threads.

This is a good one.

http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...-1t-track.html

Marko R1 04-07-2015 11:56 PM

thanks - i did a search & there isnt that much info on them...i'll keep looking though.
thanks for that link as well

Evo 13 04-19-2015 07:41 AM

I could be wrong, but I don't think the XO1 is a much desired car, especially among the more experienced guys. That might explain why you haven't found much on this forum about it. Your best bet might be to check the actual traxxas forums and YouTube.

2uzferunner03 04-19-2015 08:16 AM

Like all traxxas vehicles, upgrade as you break stuff.

Marko R1 04-19-2015 02:42 PM

When I compare my xo1 to my associated factory team, it doesn't seem to be worlds apart in terms of quality.

It's an animal of a car and the electronics are just crazy. Makes my tekin rx8 gen2 I'm my buggy look like a toy :)

92tsiawdguy 04-19-2015 11:15 PM

The electronics are just basic castle stuff. Nothing too special. Id rather have the tekin over the castle any day.

2uzferunner03 04-20-2015 05:47 AM

Traxxas doesn't make crap. The knock on them is older more simple designs which works great for what they do. Alot of plastic parts which can be a good thing for bashing and excuses to upgrade/personalize. Their progression is always in more gimmicky things like real truck sounds in the 2wd sct that get people new to the hobby interested.

Salkin 04-20-2015 05:53 AM

https://traxxas.com/forums/forumdisp...-XO-1-Supercar

Marko R1 04-27-2015 04:00 AM

Thanks for the link

Rick Hohwart 04-27-2015 07:53 AM

Hot tip #1 - Don't run into yourself.

IndyRC_Racer 04-27-2015 08:06 AM

My best tip for land speed junkies is to find a large controlled space with no people/pets/immovable objects to hit. Once you are sure you aren't going to hurt anyone or anything, have fun.

Land missiles shouldn't be run on city/neighborhood streets or public roads. Thanks to short-sighted people, drone owners are facing tougher restrictions on where they can fly. We don't need short-sighted land speed junkies doing the same thing for land based r/c enthusiasts.

drivejumpfly 03-28-2016 09:45 PM

Install TSM if you have not already and add a better spoiler to the rear that provides stabilization and reduces drag.

Roelof 03-29-2016 12:22 AM

TSM is for pussy's.....

Marko R1 03-29-2016 01:19 AM

Thanks guys :)

drivejumpfly 03-29-2016 08:56 PM

I would disregard Roelof's last comment. For $40, you can't beat the benefits of TSM. You can adjust TSM it as needed. It will save you from some bad wrecks if you are into speed runs.

Roelof 03-29-2016 10:33 PM

The problem is that many of todays drivers/bashers are no setup hero's, they just want to drive. Doing speedruns with a bad car where a gyro is continous working to get the car stable will slow down the car and does not give a feeling of the car to the driver.

Learn how to setup a car and you do not need a TSM for a better performance and feeling.

drivejumpfly 04-03-2016 12:36 PM

The bottom line is that when you buy an XO-1 you pay to run 100 MPH without having to build a car to run 100 MPH. It is cheaper and easier to stay in the hobby when you can drive it without totaling it the first times out with it. I still suggest getting TSM and having fun with the car. When you feel like it is not challenging to drive it at 100 MPH anymore, then start dialing down TSM and look into other modifications to dial the car in.

Roelof 04-03-2016 01:34 PM

Why do you think with races anything like a TSM/Gyro is forbidden? Driving the car is done by the driver and his setup skils, not by some gyro's.

If there is a tree in the way a gyro will not help.... Think about that....

If you want to run a 100mph car it is wise to run that thing on a place where you can not damage the car but also not other things and people. The problem with a XO-1 is that people who buy this thing have no or not much race experience and think they can control this car and run it in the street. Many XO-1's are crashed during the 1st run and believe me, no gyro system will help prevent that. If you can not handle such a car then do not drive/buy it.

drivejumpfly 04-03-2016 02:01 PM

I apply the same logic I use with real cars to RC cars/quadcopters. When I buy a new car or motorcycle I do not immediately disable ABS, traction control, and switch it to the most advanced driving mode. No matter how great your driving skills are, it is always best to start on the easiest mode you can in a car before you go full out without any of the factory enabled/available safety measures in place.

How many times have you driven an XO-1 with and without TSM?

Roelof 04-03-2016 02:20 PM

None, but I do drive 1/8 scale cars on tracks going up to 70mph. I have runned speedruns with 1/18 scale cars, my first did 96km/h (64mph) on a straigh line, my seccond had an avarage of 99.89km/h (66mph) onb a bicycle oval track. All without stabilising electronics

1/8 IC Fan 04-03-2016 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by drivejumpfly (Post 14468062)
Install TSM if you have not already and add a better spoiler to the rear that provides stabilization and reduces drag.

TSM is a crutch, and unfortunately as cool as some may think traction control is, it does nothing to increase any skill. You can learn it all yourself. If you think not watch a video of Hara, Masami, Collari or Kinwald drive. If you think TSM is an evolution, you are mistaken, we had people with driver aids (who all got busted) in the Tamiya Eurocup, Keil DTM and even in the Serpent Impact series.

Advising for a spoiler and such is good, but perhaps you can state which spoiler, that would be more helpful, stability and less drag kinda' don't always work hand in hand.

I would say focus on tires and suspension setup, if your chassis handles like you like to drive, everything else will fall in place.

And no, I don't have an XO-1, nor do I want one. But many here have experiences outside of the platform that would help and can be applied, as such just because we may advise something, does not always mean you have to heed it, but advice from someone with perhaps 100 or more constructive posts on here may be easier to heed than someone with less, right?

English365 04-03-2016 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by Rick Hohwart (Post 13981314)
Hot tip #1 - Don't run into yourself.

Best tip in the thread.

drivejumpfly 04-05-2016 12:36 AM

If the OP has any XO-1 specific questions just let me know.