VBC GhostEvo

Old 01-28-2016, 07:56 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by SteveM
Thanks for this email address. I have sent several messages through FB and even used the online contact form at VBC Racing USA but not a single reply.

I since bought the VBC zero offset clamping alloy wheel hexes and these came with the wrong bolts. They are useless as sold and I'm out $15 and not impressed again.

** Email sent to VBC 28 January 2016 **
FYI, Dave is in Florida at the moment, so I don't think you'll get anything till he gets back.
Old 01-28-2016, 08:20 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

I recently picked up a new, shrink wrapped, VBC GhostEVO kit and I am doing the build hoping to be done in time for race #1 at my club's new race facility.

Everything in this kit comes sealed in numbered plastic bags matching the build steps similar to my Schumacher Mi5 build and looked good. I'm half way through the build and find that one of the four CVD's is missing the pin retainer spring (B-02-VBC-0027), and now I found that I have three 4.98mm and one 3.74mm swivel pivot tubes (B-02-VBC-0033) used in the front C-hubs.

Terrible quality control from VBC considering all these parts are individually shrink wrapped in separate packages. I sent VBC Racing USA a message through FB, but no reply. I checked my spares from Tamiya and Spec-R but nothing fits.

I am stuck at steps 21/22 and definitely not impressed with VBC right now.
Hi Steve, I am a Vbc dealer
Www.gripworksrc.com
Send me an email at [email protected] and I will get everything sorted out for you.
Old 01-28-2016, 08:42 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 165 (100%+)

Originally Posted by AlexPate
Hi Steve, I am a Vbc dealer
Www.gripworksrc.com
Send me an email at [email protected] and I will get everything sorted out for you.
You have email.

I added pictures to my older post to show as clear as possible the issues.

Last edited by SteveM; 01-28-2016 at 09:58 AM.
Old 01-30-2016, 10:03 PM
Tech Addict

hey steve
it nice to see that you are still racing
do you have this chassis final built?
are you going to do a review?

thanks mr T
Old 02-23-2016, 03:11 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by TeamThibault
hey steve
it nice to see that you are still racing
do you have this chassis final built?
are you going to do a review?

thanks mr T
I managed to get the Ghost EVO built and rigged for racing. I was missing the parts mentioned, but Dave Ehrlich from VBC Racing was kind enough to send me what I needed and he even included some extras. I tip my hat to VBC Racing and Dave in particular. Thank-you VBC Racing.

I have done a basic build review and you can check it out on my club pages at the following link. I ran a Speed Passion Reventon R speed control matched to an Amain Hobbies Slingshot 17.5T motor and the car was a rocket. I have since changed speed controls and am now running the economy SkyRC TS50 speed control. This works just fine for the 17.5 blinky class.

http://rcottawa.com/2016/02/product-...d-05-vbc-ck09/

I have raced this chassis twice so far both times in the 17.5 blinky class. At my first race with this chassis I qualified 3rd and finished 2nd in the A-main. The car was super dialed from the start and I didn't make any adjustments all day. Two weeks later at my second club race I qualified 2nd and finished 1st in the A-main. I lost the TQ by 0.2 seconds due to worn tires and I guess that after three club races, my Sorex 28R tires need to be replaced.

I am very impressed with this chassis and would recommend it to anyone on a budget but who wants a race ready ride. This chassis just works and I like it better than my two previous cars, a TRF419 w/Samix aluminium chassis and before that a TRF418 w/Samix graphite chassis.

The chassis requires you to use battery tape to retain the lipo pack, but I prefer something easier and have ordered the alloy and velcro battery retainer system sold by Beamcat. I hope to have this soon.

http://beamcat.com/products/alu-7075...d06-bc-bat-d06

Last edited by SteveM; 04-01-2019 at 07:35 PM.
Old 02-23-2016, 08:26 AM
DBM
Tech Fanatic

I thought that I had written a post in this thread in regards to my impressions of the GhostEvo, but it looks like I hadn't.
Dave Ehrlich attended the Victoria leg of the WCICS series in January, and gave away 6 GhostEvo kits as prizes for random draws, and winners of certain heats. Very cool. I was the lucky winner of one of the kits.
I built the kit with the intention of running it in VTA. Everything went together well. The simplicity of the car was like a breath of fresh air. No stress, no fuss. Just set droop and camber, and drive.
To my surprise, the car drove great right from the start. On my second lap, I had already equalled my previous best VTA time, and by lap 5, I had beat it by a tenth. The car simply works well, and is easy/forgiving to drive. I managed to put it on the podium at the Regina WCICS event, with the only non-kit parts being aluminum hexes and 40wt shock oil. Even with the stock bumper and some decent crashes, nothing on the car has broken.
For the price, the car is fantastic. I recommend it to anyone wanting to run on a budget.
The popularity of VBC cars at my local club has grown immensely in the last year, and after a seeing how well my GhostEvo has worked, a few club members are hoping to buy their own. There looks to be enough interest that our local hobby shop is looking to stock VBC kits and spares.
Old 02-24-2016, 02:26 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

SteveM & dbm that is great to hear that you like these cars so much & the increase in popularity of the vbc product ��
Old 02-28-2016, 03:26 PM
Tech Champion

I received my Beamcat aluminium 7075 Quick Release Battery Mount set last Friday and it bolted-up to the Evo perfectly. Makes battery removal a snap and no more fussing with tape.
Old 02-28-2016, 04:23 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Has anybody installed the optional red camber link adjusters? I have them on the front and am considering getting another set for the rear. The main reason being that all other touring cars mount the inner link further outward. Thoughts?
Old 02-28-2016, 10:59 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by big al
Has anybody installed the optional red camber link adjusters? I have them on the front and am considering getting another set for the rear. The main reason being that all other touring cars mount the inner link further outward. Thoughts?
I have the Evo rm edition which has the red camber link adjusters as std in the kit, I like them for the fact that you can run the links in a shorter position which suits the way I like a car to react, I have tried them forward & back from the centre hole & found it made the car feel " lazy " & didn't suit me so I went back to the centre hole shortest position, but that is just me on outdoor low/med grip tracks.Get another set & give it a try it may suit you & your tracks, good luck with your decision
Old 02-29-2016, 03:28 AM
Tech Champion

I've installed the red camber link adjusters, but have not yet switched from the stock setting. My Evo on carpet running Sorex 28R tires seems pretty dialed with the stock position. Not sure what effect the shorter links might have on the handling.
Old 02-29-2016, 06:00 AM
Tech Regular

Mine came with them as its an rm edition. Im actually not using them on the rear of the car as im running the rear camber links longer ( stock evo position)

On another note im now also running a d06 servo mount and its just under 10g lighter

Have a super setup for carpet running sorex 28 on low grip or 32 on high grip carpet if anyone wants it
Old 02-29-2016, 06:19 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I'm running the RM edition as well that started as a mod car but now running it in stock. I recently changed my rear links to short and the car has a lot more corner speed and feels very planted. I can stay on the throttle longer without the backend washing out. Loving the car in stock 17.5. There was nothing wrong with the car in mod, I just suck at driving mod
Old 02-29-2016, 04:11 PM
Tech Champion

I moved all 4 of my camber links to the outer hole on the red RM mounts and will give this a try next race.
Old 02-29-2016, 06:57 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I moved all 4 of my camber links to the outer hole on the red RM mounts and will give this a try next race.
I won't be able to race for a few more weeks, so I patiently await your experience.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.