Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Getting back into 1/12 carpet racing

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2015, 06:19 AM
Tech Initiate

Default Getting back into 1/12 carpet racing

Hey guys, I raced 1/12 scale carpet years ago then took a long break and I have been racing USGT and USVTA touring car. I want to get back into 1/12 scale. What can you suggest for current chassis and electronics?
Old 03-24-2015, 06:33 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

All the cars are good, can't go wrong with any of them. I would suggest CRC. The new car is great, parts are everywhere and it's cheap.
Old 03-24-2015, 06:48 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)
Cool

Originally Posted by MrPuke
Hey guys, I raced 1/12 scale carpet years ago then took a long break and I have been racing USGT and USVTA touring car. I want to get back into 1/12 scale. What can you suggest for current chassis and electronics?
Hit your local track
Talk to the guys there

Welcome back to 1/12
Check the info in my sig
Old 03-24-2015, 06:48 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I have the RSD car RR12 and I have an XRay. The RSD car has a lot of steering and is a very fast car. It uses a lot of commonly made parts from Associated, Zenon front end parts etc. The XRay is a bit easier to drive but I have my RSD now driving very similar to the XRay. I honestly cannot say that either one is "better" but I sure do like a lot of things that Cristian has done with the RSD RR12. The Rear pod is nice, the front end has zero slop compared to the XRay and the body post are in a better position for most bodies. Xray put them right in the body line on the AMR 12 body and most of the other bodies as well. Another thing, the RSD car is lighter than the XRAY. Something else to consider too is that you can wear the tires down to the plastic on most wheels. My xray would always drag the chassis before I could get the most out of my tires.
Old 03-24-2015, 08:19 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RedBullFiXX
Hit your local track
Talk to the guys there

Welcome back to 1/12
^^^This... Find out what car most drivers are running at the local track, and start there. Once you feel you've "maxed out" your first choice, start evaluating another car, different electronics, etc... Chances are, you won't go wrong with any of the readily available cars on the market today.
Old 03-24-2015, 08:22 AM
Tech Initiate

Thanks for the tips guys, unfortunately there currently is no 1/12 scale class at the track. A handful of guys are trying to bring it back though.
Old 03-24-2015, 09:03 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Thanks for the tips guys, unfortunately there currently is no 1/12 scale class at the track. A handful of guys are trying to bring it back though.
I would suggest whatever brand your local shop carries.

If you aren't worried about supporting them, then get whichever one is easier to find parts for online.

Or, just get whichever one is prettiest. You can compete and win with any of them.
Old 03-24-2015, 09:15 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 96 (99%+)

With this info I would suggest the CRC, and my second choice would be the AE 12R5.2. Parts and support for these are widespread and both are solid performers at budget prices, which could help you to attract more racers. As mentioned you really cannot go wrong with any of the cars today and some of the boutique cars have some great features.

As to electronics I suggest that you get an esc that supports 1S without the use of an external booster or rec pack. I'm using the Hobbywing V3.1 1S esc and it works well but there are several other choices out there. Get a short stack motor, a decent battery and servo (I like the 9650 myself), wire everything with 16g wire and your all set.

Also if you have not check the link in the Redbull's sig line, he has done alot of the leg work for everyone in that link.