R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 10-09-2005, 07:42 PM   #1
Tech Rookie

Default Do I need to break in new motor?

Very new to this just got new motor over weekend I'm only going to run stock, but do I need to break it in and if so for how long? Next question bought a used Novak Millenium with ESC. Its only 12v whats cheapest way to run? Power supply? Also for new batteries anything I should do before race? thanks Del
Del32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 07:48 PM   #2
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Yes u should run it in. See that the brushes have serrations on them run the motor at 2 volts until they disappear. As for the charger u can use a car battery or a power supply. And with the batteries maybe cycle them once or twice but make sure they don't get to hot during charge or discharge. Also if u have a comm lathe give the comm a skim it's power for nothing. HAve fun racing
Superkarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 07:58 PM   #3
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Hi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Del32
Very new to this just got new motor over weekend I'm only going to run stock, but do I need to break it in and if so for how long? Next question bought a used Novak Millenium with ESC. Its only 12v whats cheapest way to run? Power supply? Also for new batteries anything I should do before race? thanks Del
Hi,

I used to run stock and i would run the motor in from new for a hour(to run the bushings in)(oil it every 10 mins) then cut it and put new brushes in it and run it in for 2 mins.as for the charger the cheapest way to run it would be a car battery but i think it would be easier to just buy a power supply.

Davo
Davo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 08:27 PM   #4
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davo
Hi,

I used to run stock and i would run the motor in from new for a hour(to run the bushings in)(oil it every 10 mins) then cut it and put new brushes in it and run it in for 2 mins.

what's the point of doing that? I have been told by many people this method, to break the motor in, run it for 2 minutes at 2 volts. That's it that's all you need to do. And running the motor in until the serrations are gone?! They are there for a reason! When they are gone, you loose the benefit of the serrated brush and therefore whould be replaced once they are gone. When you break a motor in, all you are doing is seating the brushes to the comm.
o.s. power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 08:31 PM   #5
Tech Elite

That's my experience too, although the serrations are there to help speed up the break-in process among other things. 2 minutes at 2V is about right. I never run it in so long till the serrations are gone. Seems like if you waited that long, you'd start to get carbon build up again.
Old 10-09-2005, 10:42 PM   #6
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Running in your motor.. Put it in the car and run it for a practice run .. The brushes will be seated and the motor will be run in with a load on it . which to me is better ... power supply is the best way to run your charger . but If your using a car battery get a deep cell marine battery . you should be able to run all day with out it loosing too much charge to run your charger ... Batteries .. cycle them once .. 30amp discharge then equalize them before you charge them up to race ... good luck and have fun at the races..
Old 10-10-2005, 07:07 AM   #7
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Shookie Send a message via MSN to Mr. Shookie

Here is a link to the best, cheapest and small Power supply....

I have two they have not had a problem in over a year and half.
http://www.buyreliant.com/psupplies/psv200.htm

the breaking is good.
I like 1min @ 1 amp but I am more inclined to go 2min and 2 amp now.

-Shookie <><
All who love the LORD JESUS I praise with you.1 Cor 10:31
Team HOLY Rollers (Team Manager)
The Church is a Hospital for Sinners not a Museum for Saints.
RcTech Feedback <>< RC Tech Subcriber #92
Mr. Shookie is offline   Reply With Quote