R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 10-08-2005, 02:27 AM   #1
Tech Regular

Default Touring cars to expensive!!!

How come touring cars are so high priced now? Just last year a TOP OF THE LINE touring car would cost $330 or less. The cheapest i see now is the FT TC4. But some cars are Costing $450.
myk505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2005, 03:14 AM   #2

Because they are bold sucker like drug company in US. They say lets suck thier blod until they complain........ You have it, they want it & the bad part is we will hand it to them, you know what I am talking about.

Last edited by xrcbuggy; 10-08-2005 at 03:45 AM.
xrcbuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2005, 03:40 AM   #3
Tech Apprentice

If you dont got the money then you dont get to play.
Hurray for unneccesary blings on rcs!!! Love those purples!!
KillWency is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2005, 06:27 AM   #4
Tech Regular

Im not saying i dont have the money, im just saying theyre getting a bit expensive!!!
Old 10-08-2005, 06:52 AM   #5
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Because we will buy it no matter what. Look at gas prices. All we do is complain about them but as Americans we still drive way too much & too fast with no passengers in our gas guzzling vehicles. I was on the road this summer on my motorcycle ( I saw very few bikes) cruising around 70 -75 getting 60 mpg but was getting blown off the road by every little yuppie driving, gas guzzling SUV on the road. No one really cares unfortunatly.
Rick Worth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2005, 07:04 AM   #6
Tech Regular

Its not like the material of the cars is getting any better. i guess ill just have to look on ebay for a good priced car.
Old 10-08-2005, 07:12 AM   #7
Tech Regular

Send a message via AIM to odawg315

i disagree, 5yrs ago the top of the line tamiya was 375+, you can buy a 415 for just under 350, you can get mi2 in the low 300 range along with fk05, jrxs, barracuda, ta05, most yokomo's,are under 300 and all are competative. the cars that go into the 400 range are cars that are hopped up from the factory, ie 415ms, evo 4 ms, ftc4. if you want the best high tech stuff your always gonna pay top dollar. but when it comes down to it there are bargains to be had, you can pick up an fk04 or a tamiya 414 both still considered two great tc's for around 150 in great shape. i think its the tools and accesories you need to compete that are out of control, just my .02.
odawg315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2005, 07:12 AM   #8
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

beacuse high end cars are way better than tub chassis car. in generall they handle better, are easier to mantain, and they got the BLING BLING going 4 them

Awesomatix USA/Pyscho Cells Racing/Tekin/Sweep Racing/RSD/180 Raceway/Johns Mobile Raceway/TQ Wire/Avid/Sanwa
geeunit1014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2005, 07:41 AM   #9
Tech Elite

Because they don't sell enough high-end touring cars at the moment to let them go for a cheap price.

Now, the companies only release a super-high-end model at a super-high price. Wannabe club drivers either have to bite the bullet and fork out, or use an RTR. There are no "mid-range" kits being released now.

Nitro off-road is the only thing that sells in RC at the moment.
sosidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2005, 07:52 AM   #10
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to squarehead Send a message via MSN to squarehead Send a message via Yahoo to squarehead Send a message via Skype™ to squarehead

All things considered, the costs are relatively stable. Inflation has taken it's bite out of most products, but the R/C industry seems to be immune. Batteries now are cheaper than they were 20 years ago. Motors are exactly the same price, if not less, on the whole. A set of mounted and ready-to-race tires cost $31 and when I put down an off road car in 1985, they weren't mounted and the cost was almost the same. I know most hate the concept, but you can than ROAR and no one else for the price fixes.

Considering the quality of materials on cars today, the manufacturing processes used (CNC, composite molding, etc), the cars are infinitely better than they were in the past, for the same relative prices. My Corally RDX was $400, and needed nothing added but a harder bumper, and it was race-ready, right out of the box. How many $300 cars can say that? For a little more cash, you can step into a luxury touring car (which no one NEEDS), and you are at the top of the line. Nothing different than buying a real car.

With everything being equal (motors, batteries and tires), the 14-year old kid has the exact same potential to win a race with his box-stock TC4 than I do with my RDX.

The fact that I can buy a top-shelf battery pack for $50 or $60 astonishes me. I don't know if some of you guys realize how amazing the prices of things are in our industry. An A-main Sanyo SCE pack was over $80 easily (7-cells) in 1987, barely gave you 1700 mah, and could only be run once a day. Battery capacity, quality and usability has doubled, and the costs have come down.

Yes, it is a kid's hobby (in theory, but have you been to a race track lately?), but racing is expensive from slot cars to real cars. It costs money to race, regardless of what you are doing. Honestly, anyone who wants to race anything has no business complaining about the costs to do it. If you don't like it, there is always knitting. I hear that's pretty cheap.

Last edited by squarehead; 10-08-2005 at 08:45 AM. Reason: stupid typo
squarehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2005, 07:54 AM   #11
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 20 (92%+)
Send a message via AIM to wallstreet

apex you do knitt ,,,, i saw you doing in between heats last sunday

did i read correctly and see you now have 2 rdx's
wallstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2005, 08:03 AM   #12
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to squarehead Send a message via MSN to squarehead Send a message via Yahoo to squarehead Send a message via Skype™ to squarehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by sosidge
Now, the companies only release a super-high-end model at a super-high price. Wannabe club drivers either have to bite the bullet and fork out, or use an RTR. There are no "mid-range" kits being released now.
I completely disagree with that statement. The "mid-range" kits are out there, but how many of them do you see at the race track every weekend?

Touring cars: (prices from Stormer Hobbies, found in about 10 seconds)

Team Losi XXX-s Graphite Plus: $189.95
Associated Team TC4: $209.95
X-Ray T1Raycer: $242.95
Yokomo MR4TC: $269.95
HPI Pro4: $289.95

I'm sure there are plenty more out there, too. Are they be-all, end-all top of the line technology? No, but all more than capable race cars for anyone but the top 1% drivers of the world. Some REALLY fast guys are still running with TC3s and kicking but with cars you can buy second hand for less than $100. No one is forcing you to buy a $450 race kit.
Old 10-08-2005, 08:05 AM   #13
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallstreet
apex you do knitt ,,,, i saw you doing in between heats last sunday
I was knitting you some tire warmers. SOMETHING has to make you faster.

Quote:
did i read correctly and see you now have 2 rdx's
No, you do not read correctly.
Old 10-08-2005, 08:05 AM   #14
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Yeah, and why is a Viper so much more than a Neon? They're basically the same, right?

When you talk about racing, where does your money really go? $400 for a car kit is CHEAP compared to what most people are dropping for a radio, ESC, charger, power supply, batteries, etc...... Geez, when someone asked me how much it cost to race a class like Tamiya Mini, I had to take a deep breath and say "uh, I got about $1500 on my pit table right now!".

Back in the day I had a $149 Monster Beetle and started hopping it up with Thorpe diff, axles, and all sorts of other goodies. My final price was like $750. I'd much rather buy it all up front.
minimadman2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2005, 08:40 AM   #15
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default prices

The high prices would be easier to swallow if you knew that the model u just spurged on would have a shelf life longer then 6-12months!!! I am so glad i do not try to run tamiya as i would be seriously discouraged by now. They have released more top end cars in the last 2 years then most companies have in the last 10years!!! So to drop 400-500$ on a tamiya and find out 6months later the 415v6.2-msx-u-sucka-buy-more comes out you feel u got to upgrade! (even though u dont)

But like some said above only a very small % of drivers can actually exploit the full potential of the best cars. Oh sure we all got our local hot shots wining races every weekend but thats local.

I saved up for my XRAY FK only to find out 2 months after the FK05 was coming and i would supose with that name it would mean the FK06 should be do out this january??

But what i do and many should is get real. Enjoy the cars for what they where made for.. RACING! race them and enjoy what u have and stop looking at all the new cars. You rarely get beat by better cars, you get beat by better drivers.

I think the TC3 had the longest life and still today its being raced and winning races... AE loyalist got the best bang for there racing buck! the racer kit was what we all used as a rebuild kit for the team or ft car when stuff started to wear out. 3 great price ranges on basicaly the same performing car.

PS: High prices are there becuase we are willing to spend. The monster truck craze proved to the industry that you can sell a 500$ RTR and then offer 500$ in alloy bits and guys will buy! Then they will replace the stock engine before its worn out!! buy buy. We love to spend on this hobby. So expect high prices for a long time.

Last edited by Joel Lagace; 10-08-2005 at 08:44 AM. Reason: more info
Joel Lagace is offline   Reply With Quote