R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-08-2005, 09:01 PM   #46
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: fl
Posts: 275
Send a message via AIM to odawg315
Default

and unless your racing hara, im quite sure you can compete with a 415 purchased of ebay for 160, or a new ta05 for the same price!
odawg315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2005, 09:03 PM   #47
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: fl
Posts: 275
Send a message via AIM to odawg315
Default

david jun's iic car is on ebay to benefit hurricane, ill pay a pretty penny for that!!! as long as were on the subject of overpriced cars!!
odawg315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2005, 09:04 PM   #48
Tech Elite
 
howard hudson's Avatar
R/C Tech Charter Subscriber
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: some damned place called Iowa
Posts: 4,245
Default

You dont have to spend 350.00 bucks on a car, there are kits out there that are less and still competitive. Its just that the more expensive kits are the next level. Kinda like going from your grassroots racer then going full on NASCAR. Differant cars for differant racers
__________________
what the heck is r/c car??? ( said in your best redneck voice)

'OL BUZZARD FARMING (lol)
howard hudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2005, 09:10 PM   #49
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: fl
Posts: 275
Send a message via AIM to odawg315
Default

and to be honest, even though i know i suck, i still run slightly quicker time more consistantly with my 414m2 than i do with my evo or my ms, havnt ran the msx yet
odawg315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2005, 09:47 PM   #50
Tech Apprentice
 
KillWency's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: planet wency
Posts: 89
Default

Just to comment on the guys that point out about batteries and equipments. The guy who started this thread said touring cars are getting expensive. i dont think he's talking about the hobby itself. So lets talk about touring cars.

Btw, evolve or die. Spend it or die sad!
KillWency is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2005, 10:06 PM   #51
Tech Apprentice
 
is300zx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 78
Send a message via Yahoo to is300zx
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by odawg315
actually, bmw's arnt expensive anymore when you consider you can buy a 3 series for less than a caddilac
By your logic I can also say that caddilac's aren't expensive when you can consider you can buy 10 cadillacs for the price of a ferrari.

Quote:
Originally Posted by howard hudson
You dont have to spend 350.00 bucks on a car, there are kits out there that are less and still competitive. Its just that the more expensive kits are the next level. Kinda like going from your grassroots racer then going full on NASCAR. Differant cars for differant racers

You're kinda contradicting yourself. You said I don't have to spend $350 on a car to be competitive. But what if I want to race at the "nascar" level? Then I'm gonna have to spend $350 on a car to compete at that level.
is300zx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2005, 10:23 PM   #52
Tech Master
 
J.Filipow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 1,692
Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by myk505
How come touring cars are so high priced now? Just last year a TOP OF THE LINE touring car would cost $330 or less. The cheapest i see now is the FT TC4. But some cars are Costing $450.

Go run an F1 team for a year and then see how expensive RC seems in retrospect! LOL
__________________
P1 Brand - "Victory is Black and White" ◢◤◢◤◢◤◢◤◢◤◢◤◢◤◢◤◢◤◢◤

RC America / XRayUSA / Hudy / Motiv / Avid / Vannen Watches
J.Filipow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2005, 10:27 PM   #53
Tech Elite
 
howard hudson's Avatar
R/C Tech Charter Subscriber
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: some damned place called Iowa
Posts: 4,245
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by is300zx




You're kinda contradicting yourself. You said I don't have to spend $350 on a car to be competitive. But what if I want to race at the "nascar" level? Then I'm gonna have to spend $350 on a car to compete at that level.
ya I guess I did !!!
__________________
what the heck is r/c car??? ( said in your best redneck voice)

'OL BUZZARD FARMING (lol)
howard hudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2005, 10:53 PM   #54
Tech Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: MI
Posts: 574
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

My 2 cents on "luxury RC cars": RC racing is our hobby, we MUST do it seriously or look for an other one...

Anyway don't complain, Xray sells in Slovakia (that is where they make 'em) for 470$, in Austria (closest neighbour) for 450$. We can get it in the US for 380$ steal of a deal . A 415 was anywhere between 550$-590$ last year september in the most european countries.

The same is true for most of the RC stuff. The prices are 20-30% higher in Europe than in the US... I can't stand to cite one more example: an Orion Hara V2 sells here anywhere between 60$ and 70$ the same motor costs in Europe 90$ to 100$ or up...

So the point is: we are lucky that the US RC market is huge so we've got the best prices in the world
cvt01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2005, 11:18 PM   #55
Tech Addict
 
josh69162's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: houston
Posts: 641
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to josh69162
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by is300zx
It's interesting how many people here justify spending $300-$400 on a kit. It's like buying a BMW and saying it's not an expensive car. Remember this class started out in parking lots with $150 Tamiya kits. One of the reason for it's existence was because it was cheap to race when pan cars ruled the tracks. But now with kits costing twice as much I don't think this class will survive in the next couple of years. Not everyone can afford a $350 something car and still have enough to buy tires, batteries, motors, and spare parts to race.
But back then cars didn't come race ready with full tuning options with the kit (i.e. swaybars, caster blocks, etc). And there is NO way you can say that those are are just as precise, or high quality, as cars are today. And just because a car costs 350-450, doesn't mean you have to spend that much on that particular car. I bought most of my car stuff new. Just search around, find good quality stuff from a racer that takes care of his stuff. I found a Pro4 I liked, and jumped on the deal. I got a high quality, well taken care of $300 car for $220 with spares out the butt. I'm not one bit disappointed, and that left be $70 (plus spare parts $$) for tires, batteries, motors, and such. If you are SMART in this hobby, you can cut costs by a third...
-Josh
josh69162 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2005, 11:57 PM   #56
Tech Apprentice
 
is300zx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 78
Send a message via Yahoo to is300zx
Default

Yes but back then that's exactly why people changed to touring cars instead of racing pan cars. Pan cars are more precise and handle better than touring cars and faster too, yet you don't see much of them anymore. People switched over cause it was cheaper and you get higher racer turn out because a lot more people can afford to race. And you're also contradicting yourself. You said you bought most of your stuff new and yet you say you bought your pro4 used with some spares. And you are right that if you look around you'll see some good used items for killer prices. But then how many newcomers are gonna see that? Most newcomers go to your LHS and buy their cars and equipment. I'm pretty sure most of them get turn off by the high price as well and just end up buying the RTR stuff. When they go race their cars, they get beat by the higher end cars. They then think that you need a high end car to be competitive. They either buy the higher end kit or stop racing all together before they even realize that it wasn't really the car but their ability as a driver was the problem. Also many of those who sell their cars are selling them for the exact same reasons (because they got beat by the other car) or because they're getting out of the hobby. They're getting out of the hobby most likely because they can't afford to race it.
is300zx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 12:12 AM   #57
Tech Addict
 
josh69162's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: houston
Posts: 641
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to josh69162
Default

I'm actually not contradicting myself. I bought most of my stuff new, but the stuff I bought used, such as my car, I found good deals and saved tons of cash. And if they quit because they feel their car is inferior, someone needs to quit being a pansy and just tell them, "Look- you just started out in this hobby, so don't expect to win, because your driving skills haven't developed yet. Just ask for help, and we will help you. If you don't get discouraged, you will have fun." If you read my third quote, Confucious said "experience is bitterest." People need to realize that. If they give up because "It's too hard," or "They aren't good enough," then fine. We don't need babies like that, anyway.
-Josh

Last edited by josh69162; 10-09-2005 at 12:15 AM. Reason: more info
josh69162 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 06:46 AM   #58
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: fl
Posts: 275
Send a message via AIM to odawg315
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by is300zx
By your logic I can also say that caddilac's aren't expensive when you can consider you can buy 10 cadillacs for the price of a ferrari.
well, actually i dont tyhinka cadillac is that expensive, i can buy one with a years sallary, which is about average what people by cars at.

but my point even though off subject bmw 3 series were in the 30's 10 yrs ago, when a nice caddy was in the 20's now a nice caddy is in the upper 40's - low 50's, were as the bmw 3 still in the 30's.

ferrari comment was just dumb cuz now your comparing to a car that 5% of the world population can afford, and they cost more that 75% off the worlds pop. house!!!

just think about this... how much enjoyment do you get out of your car, i know myself im doing somthing to my cars every day, if you only make minimum wage thats thats $246 a week,so for 2 weeks pay isnt it worth it to own what something that the pro's are acually using, ask your local real car racer what he give to be able to run a factory level car.
odawg315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 07:08 AM   #59
Tech Adept
 
wolfman76's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Hello my darling
Posts: 113
Default

You are not wrong about touring cars beeing to expensive. I got my car second hand with a heap of spares, but i still had to buy all electricals. Here is a break down of what i have spent.

Car $450
ESC $ 249
Charger $260
Batteries X 6 $ 430
Battery building supplies Approx $ 100
power supply $ 100
Discharger $ 180
Body $ 37
Paint $ 30
Tires, tire inserts and wheels 1 set $ 80
Motor 540 $ 21

I know it's alot of money, but hay every man needs a hobby
wolfman76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 07:58 AM   #60
Tech Elite
 
squarehead's Avatar
R/C Tech Charter Subscriber
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Wheaton, Illinois
Posts: 4,211
Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to squarehead Send a message via MSN to squarehead Send a message via Yahoo to squarehead Send a message via Skype™ to squarehead
Default

This discussion has gotten completely off track, so to speak. Not to mention that some of the arguments are just plain wrong.

The fact is, new touring cars just didn't jump up 30% over night. You can still buy that same car you saw listed 2 years ago for relatively the same price. Truth be told, there was no such thing as a luxury tourer two or three years ago. Right now, I only consider a handful of cars in that category, and most (if not all) of them are fully optioned up. You are talking about cars with large amounts of CNC machining, carbon fiber plates, front one-ways, quality bearings, titanium turnbuckles and other parts that many racers years ago would go to spend MORE money on before they even built their new kits.

As someone also mentioned earlier, you are also dealing with most cars today being imported, as well. With Associated not stepping up to meet the competition with a comparable car in the TC4, and Losi's major deviation from the chassis standards today, lots of racers are looking to imported cars, and there are MANY to choose from. The value of a dollar on the international landscape, the cost of shipping items overseas, cost of raw materials and many other factors outside of the R/C industry all play a part in pricing.

The truth is, the backyard basher is not buying a touring car. He's buying TMAXXes and other kits many of us don't want anything to do with. There are very few cars that are considered "entry level," that is true, but they are out there, and can be had NEW for relatively similar costs that kits were 20 years ago. Show me ANY real new car that is even close to the prices people paid TEN years ago. Factually, the R/C industry has seen very little in the way of inflation in it's history. Anyone who had built a kit in 1987 knows how far the technology, materials, quality, details and even kit instructions have come, with very little change in the way of kit costs. I can't believe the difference in building kits today. Cars 10 years ago needed hours of polishing, reaming, sanding, cutting and modifying, just to fit together properly (for a race car).

My new RDX is the most complex car I have ever owned, and it went together faster than any car I have ever built. Why? It is by FAR the highest quality kit I have ever purchased. Was the price tag on it part of that factor? Absolutely. But I will never go back to an inferior product, regardless of price, as long as I can afford it.



I know we're talking about touring cars in this thread, but here's something to chew on:

Tower Hobbies, from November 1989 RCCA:
Associated RC10 kit, bearings & body: $169.99

Tower Hobbies, today:
Associated RC10 Team kit: $169.99
Oh, and the new kit includes MIP CVDs, hard anodized shocks, ProLine wheels & tires, Stealth tranny, molded chassis, slipper clutch, etc.

Not to mention that Associated also now offers a Factory Team kit, too, that costs $214.99 ($45 more, or a 26% increase over the standard kit), and also includes titanium, anodizing, race tires, threaded shocks, carbon chassis and suspension parts, and parts most racers want right off the bat. You didn't have this option long ago, and you were forced to the aftermarket to spend more than you did on the kit itself, to upgrade your performance, maintenance and/or durability.

Which car do you see at the track more often?

This isn't a 100% blanket comparrison across all of R/C, but it is fairly accurate. You guys complaining about the costs of new luxury touring cars are barking up the wrong tree. I can't sit and complain that the price of a new BMW M3 is too much, when the fact is that it is just out of the range what I can afford. If you can't afford a high-end car, then you have no business buying it. If you keep buying new expensive R/C cars as they are released, then you have no one to blame but yourself. Don't spend more than you can afford. No one is forcing you to buy $400 toy cars. There are plenty of good cars out there for a whole lot less money.

Really, find something else to complain about. Nobody likes a .


__________________
Everything depends.
Nothing is always.
Everything is sometimes.
squarehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
!WARNING! BUYING RC CARS IN ENGLAND IS EXPENSIVE. ADVICE TO ROOKIES Ageofdeath10 UK Racing 36 12-20-2015 06:57 PM
(2) 710 Touring Cars.... TShirt Man R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 6 07-28-2006 03:58 PM
Real cheap touring cars/ or offroad cars DriveToLive R/C Items: Wanted to Buy 7 12-04-2005 07:40 PM
touring cars and oval cars for sale or trade for offroad!!!!! gac1983 R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 1 03-03-2004 01:39 PM
Lots of 1/12, 1/10 Race Pan Cars, Touring Cars and More FS dynamic_e R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 10 07-22-2003 02:47 PM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 02:28 PM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net