R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 10-08-2005, 08:57 AM   #16
Tech Apprentice

yeah, just spend the money. you cant take it with you to rc heaven.
or buy a cheap ass tamiya kit that you will have to hopup till its more expensive than a rc race kit..
KillWency is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2005, 08:57 AM   #17
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Xray seesm to have their cars on a 12-14 month refresh cycle....
2001 - T1
2002 - T1 Evo2
2003 - T1 Evo2 FOC
2004 - T1FK
2005 - T1FK05
2006 - who knows...but I'd be surprised if there wasn't some form of release...

At least when Xray releases their new kits they don't abandon the old kits...many of the parts on the FK05 are still compatible with the original T1 even...

As far as having as much potential as any car....I'd argue that the newer breed of touring car makes it much easier to go fast...

I'm not sure what else they'll be able to do to the cars as they seem to be getting pretty close to optomized platforms for both shaft and belt...(notice how most different brand 1/8 on- and off-road cars look similar) There are always a couple of companies that will try to break from the mold and try something a little different...(Losi JRX-S, TTR EB4-S3)...but for the most part the designs are beginning to reach a point where they are fully refined....
ChrisP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2005, 09:28 AM   #18
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Ever thought about WHERE your cars are coming from??? most 'high end' tourers are coming from OUTSIDE of the USA, and, as we ALL know, the US$ isn't worth much these days so it just costs more to bring the units into your country, this will force the price to be higher.

Also, I think the quality of car kits has improved immensly over the last ten years. As for the UPGRADE/new chassis thing, you don't HAVE to upgrade, you do so out of your own free will, unless there is a radical change in chassis design, then I Would guess that most of us would not notice a blind bit of difference in reality (although your mind will play tricks on you).

As a conundrum, I have had a couple of top end tourers (supposedly) all over the 200 mark, I just bought a Tamiya TA05, upgraded the shocks and front driveshafts, and I am as competitive, if not more competitive with it than any of my previous touring cars.... and this Tamiya is only 130....
DA_cookie_monst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2005, 10:01 AM   #19
Tech Regular

Send a message via MSN to Ali Graham Send a message via Yahoo to Ali Graham

I would say stuff here in england is generally cheaper, no idea why though! Last year, and xray fk04 would have set you back 350(rrp), but the current FK05 has an rrp of 265/275. You can still find good deals over here, but the internet does seem to be taking over from LHS, as they can afford to do it, for example one big online company started selling 1 kit at 35 cheaper than anywhere else, and that was on the day it was released
Old 10-08-2005, 11:02 AM   #20
Tech Regular

go big or go home
T1Raycer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2005, 11:02 AM   #21
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

To piggy back on that...the internet is killing the LHS everyday. My LHS will pay $1 more then what Hobby People is selling a RTR Savage for. How is that a deal for the LHS. By the way the UPS guy doesn't know a thing about tuning an engine either so don't ask. Yes the price of high end touring cars has gotten expensive over the past year but the quality of workmanship has gone up greatly. I just bought a RDX and have looked at the X-ray and Yoke cars but for the price it included everything needed to make it durable compaired to the X-ray and yoke. Yes you can still win with a tc3, but the nature of a racer is to always have the latest and greatest. If I can still win with an older chassis then I will keep it and just keep my support equipment with the most current stuff available. just my .02
beidle99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2005, 12:14 PM   #22
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Welcome to the world of radio control cars.
Old 10-08-2005, 12:56 PM   #23
Tech Adept

You also need to take into account how widely used carbon fibre is now. From what I can see, 5 years ago there were barely any cars using this, everything moulded chassis. Carbon Fibre is very expensive stuff.

I think the price of touring cars probably has gone up a bit, but not dramatically and you are getting a lot more for your money. Everything gets more expensive over time anyway.

I don't see it to be a problem that manufacturors release cars often, as long as they support the previous models well. This has to be the case now anyway because people are willing enough to throw their money at the latest chassis'. If manufacturors didn't keep releasing models they would fall behind as everyone would be buying the most recent stuff.
ralph_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2005, 01:06 PM   #24
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Just think if you were racing real cars, I think touring cars offer the same amount of satisfaction as the real ones, tuning, tweaking, working on motors, tires, springs, and of course crashing, only you dont end up in the hospital.

You wanna play you gotta pay!
kylehirano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2005, 02:32 PM   #25
Tech Regular

Send a message via AIM to odawg315

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel Lagace
The high prices would be easier to swallow if you knew that the model u just spurged on would have a shelf life longer then 6-12months!!! I am so glad i do not try to run tamiya as i would be seriously discouraged by now. They have released more top end cars in the last 2 years then most companies have in the last 10years!!! So to drop 400-500$ on a tamiya and find out 6months later the 415v6.2-msx-u-sucka-buy-more comes out you feel u got to upgrade! (even though u dont)
they have not released more top end cars, just evolved the one they made in 04' and its still winning championships. they came out with the 415, then made a limited run of the ms, wich some can hop up there stock 415 to be, now they have the ms upgrade, another evolution that is compatable with the origanal 415, big difference than coming out with new cars and abandoning old ones. a stock 415 is just as competative as any car on the market, half the upgrades arnt nec. for all applications. very few people use an ms for carpet as the thinner chasis and lwt susp run better on asphalt. msx upgrade lowers c of g, but more appealing it makes maint. a breeze!!!

let me let you in on a secret. with anything competative in this world something new is bigger and better every 6 months or so, from sports athletes, to toys you name it, if things dont evolve they die. other wise we'd all be racing our 1986 tamiya audi quatro's bitching about why they cant use materials like carbon fibre and titanium to make these cars better. if you dont like it buy a nikko and be happy!!!
odawg315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2005, 02:43 PM   #26
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

When there is a new box or model number its a new kit.
Old 10-08-2005, 03:04 PM   #27
Tech Regular

Send a message via AIM to odawg315

well then you must be a child that only looks at the pretty pictures and wants it instead of what you really need.... which is what i do by the way!
odawg315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2005, 03:19 PM   #28
Tech Elite

hey we are all kids on here! Some small some big young and old. We always want a new toy
Old 10-08-2005, 03:42 PM   #29
Tech Elite

The reality is as others have said: You get alot more good stuff for your 400$ then u did 10years ago. Batteries are cheap last longer and everyone makes run time. Cars today are amazing! I don't argue that they initially expensive but there is value in the initial purchase of a PRO chassis.

If your racing there is no reason why you could not race competatively for 2 years or more on one chassis. The real cost of racing in the end is not of the actual chassis but rather the consumables:race fees,motors,tires,bodies,spare parts,food,drink.....For some its the constant buying and selling of gear to get the next best thing

What i have seen often is guys switching from chassis to chassis looking for on track results when they get lost in constantly starting from scratch learning a new car and how to set it up. These typically are the first to complain that racing is costing too much and that they always think its other guys gear thats beating them and not there lack of skill. The guys that stick with a chassis a long time can really cash in on the track.

Anway its all good.
Old 10-08-2005, 03:53 PM   #30
Tech Fanatic

Buy a used car! there's ton's of tamiya's out there, i got an evoIII Surikarn edition for $130.00 about a year ago, on this site! and if you buy a new car everytime one comes out you wouldn't have time to get the one you have now set up the way you want, no matter what get one car you really like and stick with it!
Charlie O is offline   Reply With Quote