R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 10-08-2005, 05:43 PM   #16
Company Representative

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

They way I see it there will be a few companies fighting for the RC car market we must not forget GP which should be able to improve there cells as well.

Competition against cell manufacturers will make for a better product and keep the prices down. The way I see it there will be 3 or more good cells for RC racing and the racer with the proper car setup and best driving skills will be able to win with any of them. Batteries are an important part but there not as critical as some make them to be.
Danny/SMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2005, 06:03 PM   #17
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny/SMC
They way I see it there will be a few companies fighting for the RC car market we must not forget GP which should be able to improve there cells as well.

Competition against cell manufacturers will make for a better product and keep the prices down. The way I see it there will be 3 or more good cells for RC racing and the racer with the proper car setup and best driving skills will be able to win with any of them. Batteries are an important part but there not as critical as some make them to be.
i agree. but the down side to that for the racer is.....the life time of our cells are going to be about 1 month, 2 tops. regardless of how many times they are run. with voltage going higher than ever each batch, you can't run with cells from a prior batch(when drivers are matched). let say a new cell is worth .1 on the track at the very least. i cannot give that up in 8 minutes. the way i see it the person with the newest batch of cells is going to the front.
Ntensweapon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2005, 06:11 PM   #18
Company Representative

I understand your point of view but I think that the super low IR of the newer cells makes them perform pretty well even if they don't have the highest average voltage. I know that some racers have told us that a 1.175 pack doesn't run much differently than a 1.190 pack. The IR on the IB has been low from the first batches. IB has tried to imrpove the voltage mostly at the end of the curve and I think they have been able to do so and this is why we see higher average voltages out of the latest batches.

I think racers should just buy a few packs when needed this way they can benefit from the minor improvements.
Old 10-08-2005, 06:16 PM   #19

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Personally I don't feel that not having cells newer than 2 months old is going to make you a tenth of a second/lap slower.
Speedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2005, 09:49 PM   #20
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny/SMC

GP as far as i care...cracked the Sanyo/Pansonic reign with quality cells at a lower price. other than the Sanyo 3600's a year ago, both S & P are becoming a vague memory. infact some newer racers at the track never heard of them when i comes to batteries.

i hope GP doesn't lay down and go ahead with the 4000+ cells

Last edited by fast-ho-cars; 10-08-2005 at 10:06 PM.
fast-ho-cars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2005, 09:58 PM   #21
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

It's a bit too late now....The submission deadline was September 1st, with approvals happening October 1st....

If they did have a 4000 cell, I am sure we would of seen it by now....

It will be next year at the soonest before we see a 4000 cell....but really, all its gonna be is a slightly refined 3700....as all the new batteries take 4000+...

Later EddieO
Old 10-08-2005, 10:15 PM   #22
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieO
It's a bit too late now....The submission deadline was September 1st, with approvals happening October 1st....

If they did have a 4000 cell, I am sure we would of seen it by now....

It will be next year at the soonest before we see a 4000 cell....but really, all its gonna be is a slightly refined 3700....as all the new batteries take 4000+...

Later EddieO
i don't think the Companies, really worry about ROAR deadlines. they both released the GP3700 and IB3800 well after last years deadlines and way before this years deadline. so that could depend on how one views it? so in that light who can really say they can't put out a 4000+ in the next six months?

many of the top races are run (even if not ROAR sanctioned) under ROAR rules with EXCEPTIONS.

Tamiya/Reedy was one i think when it came to batteries

not sure on this for sure...IIC in Vegas allowed IB3800 or GP3700, i thought one or both were just made legal recently and one still is not or in the works?
or am i thinking IFMAR?
Old 10-09-2005, 01:26 AM   #23
Company Representative

GP was great for the hobby but after dealing with them they had a few issues that they refused to acknowledge and when they saw they were the only game in town they increased the price.

IB tells us that the current IB cell design can be pushed higher in capacity while maintaining the high average voltage.

As I said earlier I don't think any cell manufacturer will have a super advantage and the racers will benefit with prices staying reasonable. We have allot of confidence in IB and i'm sure they will stay on top of things. We have seen them progress since last January and they seem to understand what RC racers need from a high end cell.
Old 10-09-2005, 11:24 AM   #24
Tech Legend

If the tracks would only sell & allow Roar approved battery`s, we would`nt see 3700`s, 3800`s ect being release just to get you to buy the newest hotest cells every three months or so...

Its gona hurt this sport more than you know after the 4ooo`s are out with 2.20 volts...

So I`m just gona leap right pass this problem with Li-po`s.....

Have fun chasing me....
Wild Cherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 10:16 PM   #25
Tech Master

GP put a lot of matchers into the GREEN .

it took small matchers and virtually made them giants because they allowed smaller business's to set-up direct accounts. with S & P most matchers were buying raw cells thru Trinity/Epic. this allowed most matchers to reduce the cost to the public and make more profits. GP3300's while in their prime averarged cheaper than anything S & P had in nimh and almost all back to when we were running 2000 nicads

it's a shame that they may fall the way of S & P by not listening or be willing to improve. in the future i may have to change my term for the begones to S, P, & G
Old 10-09-2005, 10:32 PM   #26
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Cherry
If the tracks would only sell & allow Roar approved battery`s, we would`nt see 3700`s, 3800`s ect being release just to get you to buy the newest hotest cells every three months or so...

Its gona hurt this sport more than you know after the 4ooo`s are out with 2.20 volts...

So I`m just gona leap right pass this problem with Li-po`s.....

Have fun chasing me....
other than 12th scale. both our tracks in Tuscon the majority of the drivers are still running GP3300's. many are intelligent and have been buying up the price reduced 3300's being offered by various sites. especially offroad drivers, they run 5 minutes and don't think the extra weight is worth it.

2.20 volts.....RC nicads went from around 1200mah to 2400mah then in nimh went from 3000mah to 3800mah. they have always been rated at 1.2V by the manfacturers. even though in reality they were 1.1??. i don't see them coming up with a whole extra volt when they go to 4000+ cells

maybe lipo's?
Old 10-09-2005, 11:16 PM   #27
Ike
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

1700SCEs for life!
Ike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 01:42 AM   #28
Company Representative

Offroad is really not about batteries because there is wheelspin involved. In classes where you have super traction the extra power of the newer cells is noticeable.
Old 10-10-2005, 04:27 AM   #29
Tech Elite

yes, i agree, offroad doesn't require the "punch" of on-road cars...
highwayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 09:29 AM   #30
Tech Legend

Thats not really true ...

In stock off-road, a better battery will always be faster ...
Wild Cherry is offline   Reply With Quote