Like Tree5Likes

Drag brake?

Old 02-26-2015, 08:44 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I run no drag brake in spec classes. The strange thing is that with drag brakes set perfectly, I actually turned faster laps. I just prefer the way the car feels with no drag brakes. This is definitely a preference thing I would say
Old 02-27-2015, 05:01 AM
Bar
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I never used Drag brake until brushless came about as brushed motors have a massive amount of drag anyway so it was not necessary. I tend to only run about 5% drag brake in 13.5 boosted as I believe do most people at my club
Old 02-27-2015, 05:53 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by theproffesor View Post

Push brake is the opposite it applies a slight amount of throttle at neutral to assist if overcoming the motors natural parasitic drag.
I understand and agree with most of what you said, except for this. I think "push brake" refers by convention to just "brakes" (extending your index), and the phrase just intends to contrast with "drag brake".

I believe what you a referring to is usually called "creep" (moving the throttle trim forward, more or less) and has become close to non-existent since we moved away from 24 or 36 degrees 27T brushed motors.

Not trying to start an argument, just thought I would clear things up. If I got things wrong don't hesitate to correct me, though.

Interesting topic BTW. Radio setup is underrated.
Old 02-27-2015, 06:07 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

I believe the term is "push control"

a sniplet from Tekin Forum:
"Push Control is the exact opposite of Drag Brake. Instead of braking when you let off the throttle, Push Control "pushes" the car with a little power still applied to the motor to achieve better coasting, which is needed in stock racing."

To me it made the car feel more like a nitro off throttle.
Old 02-27-2015, 02:26 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Jorge T View Post
I believe the term is "push control"

a sniplet from Tekin Forum:
"Push Control is the exact opposite of Drag Brake. Instead of braking when you let off the throttle, Push Control "pushes" the car with a little power still applied to the motor to achieve better coasting, which is needed in stock racing."

To me it made the car feel more like a nitro off throttle.
Actually, the "push control" was probably intended for BOOSTED racing (back when we used to do that). When racing 17.5 boosted, your car will have what feels like a lot of drag brake with the setting at zero. Must have something to do with spinning a motor at twice it's "natural" Kv RPM.
Old 02-28-2015, 03:59 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

From a long time ago I learned that proper breaking is as important as acceleration. We spend a lot of time tuning our cars for acceleration and speed. I also spend time tuning the breaking action. I race in USGT, F1 and WGT. Three distinct types of car. Each one has a different brake tuning setup just like they have different gearing and motor packages.
USGT has very little drag brake, F1 has a lot and the push brake is setup with the ABS function in the radio. The WGT is somewhere in between but now ABS. It is not uncommon for me to hook up the programmer and change the drag brake based on the layout and track conditions. All of my racing is done on carpet and tight tracks. It is important to have the initial brake at least as high as your drag or just set it to =drag. If you don't and you have a high drag brake setting, your push braking can be erratic as the car must transition from drag to initial then your push. You do have to walk the line on drag brake because as stated before a similar issue occurs in transitioning from drag brake to on throttle.
Old 02-28-2015, 08:54 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I come from the old school of wiper arms and reostats (before ESCs were made for RC cars). I ran drag brakes and it worked great.

With modern ESCs, motors and batteries the way it works is noticeably different in feel.

After rejoining the hobby about 10 months ago I've been running drag brake and feathering the throttle as needed to maintain speed and driving line. Once I see myself off-line I let off slightly to regain grip, then I'm back on the throttle. This seems to work well for fast sweeper turns and hairpins.

This is a personal thing, and one that can be determined by the track layout, your car set-up and driving style, so there is no rule of thumb that works universally for everyone. IMHO.

Old 02-28-2015, 02:37 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

I learned a lot here from reading the posts. From what I understand, it's a matter of preference.
Old 09-20-2018, 07:37 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Skiddins View Post
In the ETS, the top blinky drivers (13.5) all use drag brakes.

Hi, what percentage do they use? the same in asphalt as in carpet?

Thanks
Old 09-20-2018, 08:12 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 208 (100%+)

Originally Posted by WinDarK83 View Post
Hi, what percentage do they use? the same in asphalt as in carpet?

Thanks
awesome that you used the search function instead of starting a new thread , but the percentage is all about driver preference , i like around 20-25% some guys drive with 0%
Slo_E4 and 1/8 IC Fan like this.
Old 09-20-2018, 08:14 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by GhostTown View Post
Fair enough.

My view is that brakes are there when I need them. When I raced MX back when I was younger, I didn't have drag brakes on my bikes either. I used the lever on the bars or foot brake.

Dropping the throttle is enough to get the weight forward in the slow class I'm running in. I suppose a 13.5/10.5 class would be quite different though. For me, braking and slowing down too much kills much desired momentum.
Actually you were using drag brake back in your MX racing days. The engine provides quite a bit of braking. So unless you were dropping your bike into neutral when you let off the throttle, you had drag brake.
Old 09-20-2018, 09:02 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Marcos.J View Post
awesome that you used the search function instead of starting a new thread , but the percentage is all about driver preference , i like around 20-25% some guys drive with 0%

Thanks mate, I asked him if he knew what the top drivers of the ets use in reality
Old 09-20-2018, 09:50 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 208 (100%+)

Originally Posted by WinDarK83 View Post
Thanks mate, I asked him if he knew what the top drivers of the ets use in reality
Bruno uses like 18%
Old 09-20-2018, 09:52 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Skiddins

In the ETS, the top blinky drivers (13.5) all use drag brakes.

Pro stock ;-)
Old 09-20-2018, 11:56 AM
Tech Addict

Using normal brakes are just so inconsistent, much much better using drag brake. It makes a lap far less effort to go fast. The most important thing of drag brake is setting it up right however. Too much and you lock up and loose momentum, too little and you understeer everywhere.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service