R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 02-12-2015, 12:37 PM   #61
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiml View Post
Really? I find that to be the easiest part of nitro. To me nitro setups are harder than electric because you're dealing with much more power.
Perhaps you misunderstood me. I'm stating nitro is harder!
Old 02-12-2015, 12:43 PM   #62
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 114 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-milz View Post
Let's talk....would you pay another racer to build or set up your car?

I was discussing this with a friend and he was totally against it. I told him that I had given a local fast guy/ younger kid who was short on money, some money to help get my car in shape. At the time I didn't own a setup board, nor did I fully understand the dynamics of the car.

I'm a 40 yo father of 3 with a busy schedule and not a lot of time to tinker. I gave him my car....he "fixed" it and I gained better control and a lap or two. He gave me a setup sheet and a better understanding. Am I alone? Let's hear it.
Personally, I wouldn't do it. I enjoy building and adjusting my car too much. I can totally see why some would though.
Associated FT T4.2
blade329 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 01:40 PM   #63
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 62 (100%+)

I know people love to build their own cars (me too), but running a properly built car is an important factor. It is rare that I pickup a car at the track that does not need hours worth of work to get right. Now I am not just talking about setup. I am mostly taking about build quality, part freeness, sway bar adjustment, shocks...the list goes on and on. Just because you like to build your own car does not mean it is built properly. This unlike setup is not up to much debate. Building your shocks like a bone head is not a tuning adjustment . The designer of the car assumes you know what you are doing and how to build the parts properly from the start.

If you ever have a chance pick up a car that Umino (Ronald Volker's Mechanic and designer of the BD7) has built and pay close attention to the build quality you will begin to understand what I mean. Everything has the right amount of play, shocks move uber freely, Arms are not bound up, Sway bars are setup properly, arms are flat and without tweak, chassis has been prepared properly, and so on.

I guarantee that if you build your car properly and maintain it to that level that the consistency of the car on the track with go up significantly. At the end of the day we can all improve in this area every time we are at the track or wrenching in general.

At the end of the day their could be quite a bit of value in having someone that honestly knows how to properly build a car involved in your build process...even of it is just to review your work afterwards. It is not for everyone but I think most people would benefit from an informed outside opinion.
Old 02-12-2015, 01:58 PM   #64
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by artwork View Post
I know people love to build their own cars (me too), but running a properly built car is an important factor. It is rare that I pickup a car at the track that does not need hours worth of work to get right. Now I am not just talking about setup. I am mostly taking about build quality, part freeness, sway bar adjustment, shocks...the list goes on and on. Just because you like to build your own car does not mean it is built properly. This unlike setup is not up to much debate. Building your shocks like a bone head is not a tuning adjustment . The designer of the car assumes you know what you are doing and how to build the parts properly from the start.

If you ever have a chance pick up a car that Umino (Ronald Volker's Mechanic and designer of the BD7) has built and pay close attention to the build quality you will begin to understand what I mean. Everything has the right amount of play, shocks move uber freely, Arms are not bound up, Sway bars are setup properly, arms are flat and without tweak, chassis has been prepared properly, and so on.

I guarantee that if you build your car properly and maintain it to that level that the consistency of the car on the track with go up significantly. At the end of the day we can all improve in this area every time we are at the track or wrenching in general.

At the end of the day their could be quite a bit of value in having someone that honestly knows how to properly build a car involved in your build process...even of it is just to review your work afterwards. It is not for everyone but I think most people would benefit from an informed outside opinion.
Let's be real, no club racer needs a car with that level of finesse anyway. Volker does.
Old 02-12-2015, 02:06 PM   #65
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Perhaps you misunderstood me. I'm stating nitro is harder!
No it's the way I wrote that. Engine tuning and clutch setup I find relatively easy. But car setup is a little different. I think you were saying engine tuning you find harder.
jiml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 02:21 PM   #66
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to valk Send a message via AIM to valk Send a message via MSN to valk

Though I agree with you, getting people on the track and paying race fees regularly is what matters most.for clubs with declining usership, rtfm is not the message to send ha.
www.irocc.ca - www.wcics.ca - www.vrcworld.com - http://proampsrc.com/ - www.teamassociated.com
valk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 02:33 PM   #67
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Id pay someone for sure. Usually I find someone who buys a car and sells it in first couple weeks because they dont like it. Then I get discount off kit plus they built it for me.
Hot bodies d413
Buzzy09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 02:58 PM   #68
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salkin View Post
Let's be real, no club racer needs a car with that level of finesse anyway. Volker does.
Let's be real, I am confident Volker would have more skill to be able to drive around a poorly built car.

If you think this kind of stuff doesn't matter at every level of racing, there is a reason why you are off-pace.

Destiny | LRP America | Protoform | Xenon/JFT | Gravity RC | Motiv | Sanwa | Max.FX
LloydLoar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 07:12 PM   #69
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 93 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salkin View Post
I disagree. It makes a bigger difference to the club racer IMO. The club racer may see 1-2 sec a lap improvement just from having a properly working car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LloydLoar View Post
Let's be real, I am confident Volker would have more skill to be able to drive around a poorly built car.

If you think this kind of stuff doesn't matter at every level of racing, there is a reason why you are off-pace.
I agree.

I've taken several peoples cars home after a race weekend. Brought it back to them the next race weekend and had them go from the back of the B to the middle of the A. I don't know any magic setup secrets. I'm not even that good at tuning. But I'm very anal about build quality and making sure everything is even/equal side to side and operating correctly. They think I have performed some magic. Nope. I just gave them a properly operating car. A car that doesn't do funny stuff is much easier to drive.
Old 02-12-2015, 07:36 PM   #70
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Hands on learning works best for me. I would pay to sit down with someone and be able to ask questions and such. If I just gave my car to someone, got it back and drove it I don't feel it would be worth it.

I can definitely see where this would be helpful for some people though.
CapOne818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 08:07 PM   #71
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odin544 View Post
I disagree. It makes a bigger difference to the club racer IMO. The club racer may see 1-2 sec a lap improvement just from having a properly working car.

I agree.

I've taken several peoples cars home after a race weekend. Brought it back to them the next race weekend and had them go from the back of the B to the middle of the A. I don't know any magic setup secrets. I'm not even that good at tuning. But I'm very anal about build quality and making sure everything is even/equal side to side and operating correctly. They think I have performed some magic. Nope. I just gave them a properly operating car. A car that doesn't do funny stuff is much easier to drive.
This is the same scenario I was referring to. The guy didn't do voodoo. He was able to identify common mistakes made by a novice and corrected them.
Old 02-13-2015, 10:43 AM   #72
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Let's talk....would you pay another racer to build or set up your car?

I was discussing this with a friend and he was totally against it. I told him that I had given a local fast guy/ younger kid who was short on money, some money to help get my car in shape. At the time I didn't own a setup board, nor did I fully understand the dynamics of the car.

I'm a 40 yo father of 3 with a busy schedule and not a lot of time to tinker. I gave him my car....he "fixed" it and I gained better control and a lap or two. He gave me a setup sheet and a better understanding. Am I alone? Let's hear it.
I wouldn't because of my own personal experiences. I gave my neighbors roommate a hpi nitro drift car to tune/break in a brand new motor and he ended up moving out the next week and I never got my car back. I would pay someone to HELP me and GUIDE me so that I can gain the knowledge myself.
NewXGen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 04:11 PM   #73
Tech Master

So it seems I'm not alone. Great comments!