Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Shopping in Tokyo >

Shopping in Tokyo

Shopping in Tokyo

Old 02-08-2015, 02:29 AM
Tech Regular

Default Shopping in Tokyo

So I'm heading over to Tokyo, Japan in a couple months and thought I'd check out some of the local hobby stores cause I've heard a few good things about them and the range that they carry. Now I've done a bit of research and found a few shops but I'm just checking if there are any that I haven't noticed that would be worth while checking out.

Big help came from this page which contains a map with all the locations [Link] and I've seen a few other sites and threads here on RC Tech, so from what I can gather these are the current stores that are still operating:

- RC Champ
- Futaba Sangyo
- Tam Tam
- Rakusei Model
- Super Radi-Con

Also, if anyone has been to these stores would you be able to give me a rough idea on what they carry.

Thanks
Old 02-08-2015, 04:59 AM
Tech Master

There are hundreds of hobby shops in the Akihabara district, you will be spoilt for choice.
Easiest way to find out what they carry is to search for them online, there will either be reviews from visitors available, or the shops own website. It might be in Japanese but you can either use a translator, and just look at the pictures.
Old 02-08-2015, 06:25 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Last time I was there, I visited all those stores. Futaba didn't have much for selection as far as current RC cars and I would not bother stopping by if you're short on time. SUPER Rajicon and RC Champ were the best, as they stocked everything from tuning options (for racers/ bashers) and availability for so many platforms. Best prices were between those two stores also. TAM TAM is ok, typical hobby store like hobby town with many types of hobbies covered.

These are the ones within walking distance of each other in Akihabara.

Rakusei is another good one (similar to RC champ), but I believe they no longer have a store front, but online only. They were outside of Akihabara district.

There are so many shops in smaller towns all over Tokyo adjacent areas. Hard to just visit all. K Hobby is another good one I visited near a friend's home in Kawagoe area. About an hour train ride on the express train from Ikebukuro station.

RC champ and SUPER Rajicon should cover most of your needs though.
Hope this helps. Can you be more specific on what your "needs" are?

I have pics on my cell phone from my visits (they don't allow photos, but I discreetly snapped some) and if I can find them, I'll post them.
Old 02-08-2015, 07:01 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Futaba Pro Shop is nice, great selection and prices. I've been there twice. Closed on Mondays.
Old 02-08-2015, 07:06 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

i visited futaba pro on my every trip there even it is far away from akihabara
Old 02-08-2015, 07:10 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

RC Champ have street view so you can take a virtual trip around the shop and see the sort of stuff they sell.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/...a69553f8f68100
Old 02-08-2015, 01:48 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by NuttsnBolts
So I'm heading over to Tokyo, Japan in a couple months and thought I'd check out some of the local hobby stores cause I've heard a few good things about them and the range that they carry. Now I've done a bit of research and found a few shops but I'm just checking if there are any that I haven't noticed that would be worth while checking out.

Big help came from this page which contains a map with all the locations [Link] and I've seen a few other sites and threads here on RC Tech, so from what I can gather these are the current stores that are still operating:

- RC Champ
- Futaba Sangyo
- Tam Tam
- Rakusei Model
- Super Radi-Con

Also, if anyone has been to these stores would you be able to give me a rough idea on what they carry.

Thanks
The real question is what are you looking for. Akihabara is where most people go but its not the best place for everything. You will find lots of stuff at those stores but it almost the same stuff at all of them.Tamiya,Yokomo and Kyosho will be easy to find in Akihabara,but if you are looking for some of the more special Japanese stuff you will have a hard time finding it there.
- Futaba Sangyo is the only shop that has staff that actually races seriously,its a small shop but something to keep in mind if you want advice about something.

Since you are going to be here 2 months you can also shop online for the other stuff that you will not find in Akihabara. Such as YYR has a nice shop that sells used.

http://yy-rcclub.shop-pro.jp/

You can also make in out to places such as Tam Tam in Machida that has more RC than the Tam Tam in Akihabara.The stock stick hangs around a bit longer so you have a more varied choice of bodies and other suppliers that are not carried in the stores in Akihabara.

March 25 and 26 Tamiya is having a open house.
http://www.tamiya.com/japan/cms/news...7-kengaku.html
You would have to take the train there but that is the event where you will have access to all the limited Tamiya items.Its really worth the trip.You can also meet the staff and see how things are prototyped and produced.Shimbashi is also where Tamiya has a store front,its one train stop away from Akihabara so you can visit that if you dont make it to Shizouka.

The bonus about you coming now is the Yen is so weak that you are saving an extra %15 off everything you buy.
Old 02-08-2015, 02:00 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I am guessing at this stage after driving my Yokomo Nutter really wants one
Old 02-08-2015, 06:42 PM
Tech Regular

Haha Beth. Yes I do like the Yokomo, considering I came third with very little effort the night that I used it.

Originally Posted by greenpea76
RC champ and SUPER Rajicon should cover most of your needs though.
Hope this helps. Can you be more specific on what your "needs" are?

I have pics on my cell phone from my visits (they don't allow photos, but I discreetly snapped some) and if I can find them, I'll post them.
To be honest I'm not completely sure. I'm looking at getting a Yokomo very soon and I'll problems buy that here in Australia as it's gonna cost almost the same as what it would cost in Japan. So I guys my trip will be mostly to get all those option parts and other extras that I can pick up cheap.

Originally Posted by bakaguyjean
The real question is what are you looking for. Akihabara is where most people go but its not the best place for everything. You will find lots of stuff at those stores but it almost the same stuff at all of them.Tamiya,Yokomo and Kyosho will be easy to find in Akihabara,but if you are looking for some of the more special Japanese stuff you will have a hard time finding it there.
- Futaba Sangyo is the only shop that has staff that actually races seriously,its a small shop but something to keep in mind if you want advice about something.

Since you are going to be here 2 months you can also shop online for the other stuff that you will not find in Akihabara. Such as YYR has a nice shop that sells used.

http://yy-rcclub.shop-pro.jp/

You can also make in out to places such as Tam Tam in Machida that has more RC than the Tam Tam in Akihabara.The stock stick hangs around a bit longer so you have a more varied choice of bodies and other suppliers that are not carried in the stores in Akihabara.

March 25 and 26 Tamiya is having a open house.
http://www.tamiya.com/japan/cms/news...7-kengaku.html
You would have to take the train there but that is the event where you will have access to all the limited Tamiya items.Its really worth the trip.You can also meet the staff and see how things are prototyped and produced.Shimbashi is also where Tamiya has a store front,its one train stop away from Akihabara so you can visit that if you dont make it to Shizouka.

The bonus about you coming now is the Yen is so weak that you are saving an extra %15 off everything you buy.
Lol. I'm coming over in a few months buy staying for 2 weeks with only about 2 days free in Tokyo. I'll definitely check out some of those places but the main advantage is cutting out delivery costs. That's what tends to kill me here in Australia when you buy $200 worth of gear and pay $50 in ems delivery.
Old 02-08-2015, 06:46 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bakaguyjean
Yeah, you can thank Abe for that.
Old 02-08-2015, 10:15 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (96%+)

Watching this thread with interest.

With Au jetstar having a sale now my wife and I have booked for October. Beauty of that is spending hopefully the full day watching the last heat of qualifying and the finals of the IFMAR 4wd electric off road worlds at Yatabe. Woot. I can pick 2 areas where we go shopping and by the looks of things she already wants to go to a few places I want to. Hoping to check out the Tamiya display at their factory and definitely rc champ in Osaka. Can't wait to ride the bullet trains.

Out of interest does anyone know of a cheap translator service who we could hire for a few days. We want to hit Disney, my worlds adventure, do some shopping and check out some sumo with a translator so we don't miss anything. We've heard of student trsnslator services you can get cheap. Any info would be appreciated. Or anyone also planning on visiting the worlds, hit me up with a pm to discuss.
Old 02-11-2015, 11:21 PM
Tech Initiate

yes japan have lot of goog rc product,but i think some product you can buy on the Internet,it will be more quickly
Old 04-10-2015, 10:11 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by NuttsnBolts

- RC Champ
- Futaba Sangyo
- Tam Tam
- Rakusei Model
- Super Radi-Con

Thanks
RC champ tokyo : it's a must hobby shop you should pay a visit while in tokyo akihabara. I suggest to catch a taxi as soon as you get out from akihabara subway station. Taxi drive is about 4 to minutes. After shopping you can go back to station on foot. 15 minutes walking. Inside RC champs : full range of tamiya, kyosho, yokomo, mugen seiki, xray, futaba, ko propo, protoform, serpent, novarossi.

Tam-Tam : mostly tamiya and futaba ..... not very interesting.

Super Radicon : mostly on road, off road and engine stuffs .... mugen seiki, kyosho, serpent, xray, novarossi. There are tamiya and on road electric accessories like spur gears and pinions. Must pay a visit if you are on road engine guy ... electric guy are welcome too.

Futaba Sangyo : mostly aeroplane stuffs and almost has full range of tamiya stuffs..... must pay a visit if you like tamiya on road cars.

RC champs Osaka : is the killer if you are on road electric racers. The place is three times bigger than rc champ tokyo.

For japanese made, the price is 5 to 10 percent cheaper than shopping in hongkong.
Old 04-10-2015, 10:35 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by asw7576
Tam-Tam : mostly tamiya and futaba ..... not very interesting.
Looks like that would be my first stop next time I visit Japan.
Old 04-10-2015, 11:56 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by asw7576
For japanese made, the price is 5 to 10 percent cheaper than shopping in hongkong.
This is no longer true...Of course if you check out prices of HK online shops they might be more expensive than those in Japan, but if you do come to HK prices at the local shops are easily 10-20% less than the webshops. What's funny is that some local shops does operate webshops and they keep two set of prices, and that people from other Asian countries do come to Hong Kong to buy retail for resale in other countries, that describe how low prices are over here...Competition Is so cut throat that for some kits some shops are selling below their costs just to attract customer, shop keepers would make sure people would get other items together with these loss making kits...

In terms of selection, sadly I could say Hong Kong now win hands down comparing to their counterpart in Japan. For the past half year I have been to Tokyo, Osaka and Fukuoka, and except for Futaba in Tokyo and RC Champ in Osaka the other shops are jokes when comparing to those shops here in Hong Kong. About 15 years ago when RC Champ opened its branch shop at Tokyo, it was a "must visit" shop even though it Is quite far away from the Akihabara station, now I just visit it to remind me of the good old days, and their stock is simply embarrassing...I had to press myself to select just something to buy for the sake of visiting, and I can't believe RC magazine are no longer available in shops.

Japanese shops are just no longer interesting, they now stock much less than the hay-day from the 80s to the end of the 90s...Gone, sadly, are the days of "the three Titans of Asakusabashi - Mitsuboshi, Irisawa and Tamaya", where in their multistorey buildings stock full of goodies from the ground all the way up to the ceiling....These giants, and the shop fronts gave way to the net shops...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.