Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Traxxas Funny car w/ Hobbywing set up. Need help >

Traxxas Funny car w/ Hobbywing set up. Need help

Traxxas Funny car w/ Hobbywing set up. Need help

Old 02-05-2015, 12:11 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Traxxas Funny car w/ Hobbywing set up. Need help

I have a traxxas funny car with xerun 2200kv motor 4274sd and xerun 1/8 150a esc. my gearing are mod1 34t pinion and 38t spur. radio is a futaba 4pls.

Now, the car will go forward and reverse with no problems when lifted off the ground but as soon as i drive it on the ground for about 10 seconds, the car will stop moving forward or reverse and my esc will flash red (my steering still works). after it flash red, my motor will be warm from just the 10sec of driving. it will do this with the sensor wire off and on. i program the esc to read only 2s, 3s, and then 4s, and it is doing the samething in every lipo battery setting. i check my gearing it and it is not tight. i bought the motor and esc brand new.

i have program it multiple times and even had a hobby store program everything to make sure everything was correct. i sent in my esc and motor to hobbywing and they said everything was working perfectly fine with no issues at all.

i please help me out. i am lost and cant find any other issues wrong with it.

Thank You
Old 02-05-2015, 12:18 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

you're heavily overgeared and overheating the esc / motor if the gearing you posted is correct.

stock is 68 spur and 14T pinion.
Old 02-05-2015, 02:21 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by R3VoLuTiOn
you're heavily overgeared and overheating the esc / motor if the gearing you posted is correct.

stock is 68 spur and 14T pinion.
i have seen many people run the same gears on a rustler and a few have done bigger gears than mine and they are fine. the whole reason for different motor and gear set up is to see how fast i can get it to go.
Old 02-07-2015, 08:42 PM
Tech Initiate

anyone?
Old 02-08-2015, 04:40 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by vangsct
i have seen many people run the same gears on a rustler and a few have done bigger gears than mine and they are fine. the whole reason for different motor and gear set up is to see how fast i can get it to go.
The difference is that a Rustler has a gearbox, with a 2.72:1 internal ratio. The funny car is direct drive, so the internal ratio is 1:1. This means that if a Rustler is running a 38T spur and 34T pinion it has an overall gear ratio of 3:1, you have an overall gear ratio of 1.12:1.
To get the same overall gear ratio as the Rustler in the funny car, with a 38T spur gear you need to run a 12T pinion.

You are way overgeared.
Old 02-08-2015, 09:19 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by terry.sc
The difference is that a Rustler has a gearbox, with a 2.72:1 internal ratio. The funny car is direct drive, so the internal ratio is 1:1. This means that if a Rustler is running a 38T spur and 34T pinion it has an overall gear ratio of 3:1, you have an overall gear ratio of 1.12:1.
To get the same overall gear ratio as the Rustler in the funny car, with a 38T spur gear you need to run a 12T pinion.

You are way overgeared.
dang it. thanks for the info.