Search
Like Tree5Likes

Help with 1/10 touring car motor and esc

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2015, 10:22 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Default Help with 1/10 touring car motor and esc

Hi all I'm new to electric rc cars and am trying to find a motor and esc for a 1/10 tourer any suggestions or help is appreciated also I have the opportunity to purchase an lrp vector x12 modified 4T motor is this suitable for a tourer or not?
Old 01-28-2015, 10:42 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by fizzy
Hi all I'm new to electric rc cars and am trying to find a motor and esc for a 1/10 tourer any suggestions or help is appreciated also I have the opportunity to purchase an lrp vector x12 modified 4T motor is this suitable for a tourer or not?
I don't mean to sound negative, but the x12 is a very aggressive motor, some call it a light switch, it's so torquey.

I personally run team powers motors, and like them, but hobby wing and the later model reedy motors are pretty darn great as well.

Lastly, I think a 4.5 is a sweet spot for modified, gearing and speedo timing can give you whatever you need for various tracks.

Good luck.
Ethan
Old 01-28-2015, 10:49 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Racing or just messing around in the parking lot?

If racing, it's very difficult to just jump into mod, especially never having raced before. A 4t motor is incredibly powerful, no matter what brand you're looking at. I like Hobbywing stuff the most. Usually less cost than other guys, but it's a fantastic product.

If you're beginning racing, look into VTA or 17.5, whatever your local track runs.

I remember when I started RC cars, even a 25.5 motor felt incredibly fast. Even now, in mod I only ran a 5.0 motor with no boost, and just very little turbo.
Old 01-28-2015, 11:20 PM
Tech Addict

I'll be racing the car, I seem to come across a lot of positive talk about hobbywing products, what type of esc would I be looking at? The only reason I mentioned the lrp motor was cause it's at a real bargain price and it's brand new old stock so I thought it could be worth a look
Old 01-29-2015, 12:05 AM
Tech Addict

If you plan on racing, before you spend anything, go talk to a few people from the club you'll be racing with.
You'll be better of starting in a slower class, get the feel for things and work your way up.
Bikerbob likes this.
Old 01-29-2015, 12:36 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by bd581
If you plan on racing, before you spend anything, go talk to a few people from the club you'll be racing with.
You'll be better of starting in a slower class, get the feel for things and work your way up.
I agree with the above have chat to someone at the local race track so u buy the right turn motor. My club runs categories for 21.5, 13.5 and full modified i.e. you run what ever you want.

I concur with the hobby wings comments and personally i would not go with speed passion staff as ive had a bad experience with a few 21.5 motors.

If you can afford it get a good ESC that can run in blinky mode for stock and is also fully programable for modified. check the ESC ratings as they have a motor limit ie the minimum number of turns it can run 9T or 3.5T etc. A really good ESC is the LRP Flow.
Old 01-29-2015, 05:56 AM
Tech Regular

You can use the X12 motor. If it is too powerful, too much torque, try a smaller diameter rotor. Needs different gearing, but it delivers less torque, but more rpm. So keep that in mind when gearing. Smaller diameter also means more heat development, but just monitor this.

A X12 or X20 combined with a LRP FLOW Works ESC is an awesome combination.
Old 01-29-2015, 11:47 PM
Tech Addict

So can any motor be run with any esc or not the case? I mean this motor is $40aud brand new this is why I was really hoping to go with it being so cheap and a decent brand also, anything else I've looked at will run me $100 plus so if I can gear it down if it's too much than I'll do that , also my son will be having a crack with the same car too and if he likes it and is capable it will be his to get started with, I'm just a bit concerned with it being to quick to start out with is all but we will be using it to get a lot of practice in also not straight into racing it but it will be track only driven not a footpath bandit btw my son is 10yo if this matters but he's pretty capable and picks up very quickly too
Old 01-29-2015, 11:54 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Definitely not the case. When looking at ESC specs they will tell you the motor limit.

To run a 4T, generally look for the most expensive one in the 1/10th range of any manufacturer!

For example, with LRP, the flow "works" (the spendy one) can handle down to 3.0T whereas the flow "comp" version is 9.5T minimum.
Old 01-30-2015, 12:09 AM
Tech Fanatic

Just remember with the LRP Flow Works Team esc that it works best with an LRP motor.

It works only OK with some none LRP motors.
Old 01-30-2015, 12:39 AM
Tech Addict

Ok np thanks I'll keep looking and reading a little more before I commit to any motor then
Old 01-30-2015, 01:18 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Salkin
Just remember with the LRP Flow Works Team esc that it works best with an LRP motor.

It works only OK with some none LRP motors.
You hear that so often it has got to be true, but it makes no sense at all.
Old 01-30-2015, 02:15 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by cplus
You hear that so often it has got to be true, but it makes no sense at all.
I bought a Flow Works Team esc a while ago and tried to get it to work with a number of different motors, including Speed Passion motors. It didn't work. It acted like the sensors were not working properly. Stuttering at startup and varying rpm on constant throttle.

I even tried an older LRP motor that had the same problem.

Went to the LHS and said the esc was broken, but they said NO, you need to use with an X20 motor. I bought an X20 motor and later used it also with an X12 motor and those combos were working perfectly.

I have read a thread in here with information on which other brand motors the Flow works with, but they are few.
Old 01-30-2015, 02:35 AM
Tech Elite

My only experience is an x20 and a trinity D4

Both work flawlessly!

I know R1 wurks are fine too.
Old 01-30-2015, 06:17 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Make sure you have a good fan for the motor for mod. Superior hobbies sells one for thirty bucks and is worth it. Like someone said...go to your track and ask many questions so u won't have to buy twice....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.