Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Confused about 1S compatable ESC's for 1/12th scale car >

Confused about 1S compatable ESC's for 1/12th scale car

Confused about 1S compatable ESC's for 1/12th scale car

Old 01-26-2015, 08:14 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Confused about 1S compatable ESC's for 1/12th scale car

I just got an older 1/12th scale CRC pan car that I plan on running in a 17.5 class at my local track but I am confused as to what ESC's I can use. I bought a 200mah LiFe booster pack that plugs in to the receiver but I don't know if the ESC's I have will work on the one cell batteries. The current ESC's I have are the LRP flow works comp and the Turnigy Trackstar 80A turbo. Will one or both of these work? Pretty much every ESC I find says its for 2-3 cell lipos but does the booster pack mean that they can run a 1 cell battery? Also I would assume you remove the red lead from the ESC plug when running the booster pack? If my current ESC's won't work is there a good inexpensive ESC I can buy that will run on one cell? I am not sure if I am going to stick with racing this car so I don't want to dump a whole bunch of money into it.
Old 01-26-2015, 08:20 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by killeraxemannic
I just got an older 1/12th scale CRC pan car that I plan on running in a 17.5 class at my local track but I am confused as to what ESC's I can use. I bought a 200mah LiFe booster pack that plugs in to the receiver but I don't know if the ESC's I have will work on the one cell batteries. The current ESC's I have are the LRP flow works comp and the Turnigy Trackstar 80A turbo. Will one or both of these work? Pretty much every ESC I find says its for 2-3 cell lipos but does the booster pack mean that they can run a 1 cell battery? Also I would assume you remove the red lead from the ESC plug when running the booster pack? If my current ESC's won't work is there a good inexpensive ESC I can buy that will run on one cell? I am not sure if I am going to stick with racing this car so I don't want to dump a whole bunch of money into it.
you will have more luck posting this in the onroad section . . . however . . .

if you have a 2-3c esc then you need either a separate battery to run the receiver, or a 1c booster.

Battery:
http://www.tqrcracing.com/shop/produ....asp?p_id=2894

booster:
http://www.tqrcracing.com/shop/produ....asp?p_id=2696

hope that helps . . .
Old 01-26-2015, 08:26 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by mupchu
you will have more luck posting this in the onroad section . . . however . . .

if you have a 2-3c esc then you need either a separate battery to run the receiver, or a 1c booster.

Battery:
http://www.tqrcracing.com/shop/produ....asp?p_id=2894

booster:
http://www.tqrcracing.com/shop/produ....asp?p_id=2696

hope that helps . . .
My mistake, Thought I clicked on road not off road Already have a booster pack.
Old 01-26-2015, 08:31 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Either ESC should work for 1 cell applications with a receiver pack if you remove the red wire from the receiver plug on the ESC. After numerous booster failures (both internal and external boosters), I wouldn't use any other method.
Old 01-26-2015, 08:34 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by oeoeo327
Either ESC should work for 1 cell applications with a receiver pack if you remove the red wire from the receiver plug on the ESC. After numerous booster failures (both internal and external boosters), I wouldn't use any other method.
Ok good info. Is the 80A ESC enough? Someone on the HK discussions said they fried it running 17.5 on 1S with that ESC. I would much rather keep the flow for my other car if I can get away with using the turnigy for the 1/12th scale car.
Old 01-26-2015, 10:54 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Ok good info. Is the 80A ESC enough? Someone on the HK discussions said they fried it running 17.5 on 1S with that ESC. I would much rather keep the flow for my other car if I can get away with using the turnigy for the 1/12th scale car.
If you are getting a new turnigy then get the 1s esc . . .

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dproduct=46906

it's on backorder . . but I would go that route, or . . .

http://www.hobbypartz.com/07e-xerun-...-1s-black.html

a 80A esc should be more than enough but since you are going HK special on it I am not sure i'd really trust it. I personally use a novak booster, and have used the TQbooster as well as a couple backup boosters from HK (I think those cost me $10 for two, I still keep onhand).
Old 01-26-2015, 11:07 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by mupchu
If you are getting a new turnigy then get the 1s esc . . .

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dproduct=46906

it's on backorder . . but I would go that route, or . . .

http://www.hobbypartz.com/07e-xerun-...-1s-black.html

a 80A esc should be more than enough but since you are going HK special on it I am not sure i'd really trust it. I personally use a novak booster, and have used the TQbooster as well as a couple backup boosters from HK (I think those cost me $10 for two, I still keep onhand).

I have the 200mah LiFe booster pack Trinity sells. I would definitely prefer the Hobbywing to the Turnigy but if my 80A Turnigy will work I will probably just use that for now while I decide if I want to start racing this kind of car or not.
Old 01-26-2015, 09:56 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

As mupchu said, this really belongs in the Onroad section, so I'm moving it there...
Old 01-26-2015, 10:43 PM
Regional Moderator

Im personally using the Trackstar GenII 1S 120A esc and Im pretty satisfied with it. I run a 10.5T with a 74mm rollout and the motor and esc is barely warm.

The Trackstar 80A would definitely work, I would take off the fan as you dont need it for 1S. Try and see which power source would make your servo run faster, the BEC or the booster pack. If they are about the same I wouldnt even bother with the booster back to save weight.
Old 01-26-2015, 10:59 PM
Tech Champion

Default answer for all things 1/12th scale

http://www.rctech.net/forum/californ...ll-so-cal.html
Old 01-27-2015, 05:05 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

I have the 200mah LiFe booster pack Trinity sells. I would definitely prefer the Hobbywing to the Turnigy but if my 80A Turnigy will work I will probably just use that for now while I decide if I want to start racing this kind of car or not.
Either should work with the booster pack, just make sure you take off the red wire from the esc plug, otherwise you may fry something.
Old 01-27-2015, 05:47 AM
Tech Adept

At this years 12th scale worlds a lot of drivers (e.g. Donny Lia, Olly Jefferies) were using the LRP Flow without a booster or a separate battery.
It seems to work...
Old 01-27-2015, 05:49 AM
Tech Adept

I meant last years worlds...itīs 2015 yet.
Old 01-27-2015, 06:43 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by M.Boos
At this years 12th scale worlds a lot of drivers (e.g. Donny Lia, Olly Jefferies) were using the LRP Flow without a booster or a separate battery.
It seems to work...
Might be your receiver and servo choice. I bought the booster pack because my receiver wouldn't even power up with the flow connected to it. My receiver is a Spektrum and I know those are picky when it comes to power.
Old 01-27-2015, 11:50 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by M.Boos
It seems to work...
I've got one of those - it's an LRP SXX v2 1S speedo in a Flow casing. They might well be Flow speedos, but then again they might not.

Buyer beware...!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.