Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tamiya TA-05 or AE TC4?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2005, 10:59 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default Tamiya TA-05 or AE TC4?

I have narrowed my options for my next car to either the TA-05 or the TC4. The TA-05 is considerably cheaper than the TC4, so I will be able to get some hopups for that as well. Thing is, I will probably be "gently" bashing it, like just racing it around with friends on ashphalt. Which car would be the best for the job? One is belt, one is shaft. I don't want this to turn in to a shaft vs. belt thread, but just be honest. Thanks!
Old 09-30-2005, 03:22 AM
Tech Apprentice

Anybody?
Old 09-30-2005, 03:39 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Out of box TC4 probably be more value than out of box TA05. U need to calculate how the cost become after u add TRF damper, CVD to TA05. My guess it would be more expensive than TC4.

As for performance-wise, no comment...
Old 09-30-2005, 03:58 AM
Tech Apprentice

They're roughly the same price once I've added the hopups on to the TA05, that is the fluorine shocks, and the 4 universal shafts (those are CVAs aren't they?). Thanks for your reply

So I guess they're pretty much on par?
Old 09-30-2005, 04:06 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Seatbelt
They're roughly the same price once I've added the hopups on to the TA05, that is the fluorine shocks, and the 4 universal shafts (those are CVAs aren't they?). Thanks for your reply

So I guess they're pretty much on par?
What class are you running it? If stock you'll have better acceleration with the shaft and more top end with the belt car.

Just get the FT-TC4!
Old 09-30-2005, 04:57 AM
Tech Apprentice

Haha...no class. I will probably just be racing around with friends since I don't have time to race properly due to school. I could get the FT TC4, but since I'm going to be kinda "bashing" it around, I don't want to break any CF
Old 09-30-2005, 05:00 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Personally I think you're better off with the TC4. The plastic Tamiya used in their less expensive cars is a little brittle, ie prone to break. The team TC4 is a great kit and you can always upgrade it later if you want.
Old 09-30-2005, 05:36 AM
Tech Adept

The chassis on the TA05 is carbon reinforced and not cheap plastic. They should be a stronger car than the TC4, as a TC4 is designed for out and out racing and the TA05 is a bit of everything. TA05 is weapons grade tough.
Old 09-30-2005, 05:42 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jiml
The plastic Tamiya used in their less expensive cars is a little brittle, ie prone to break.
You are kidding right? oh, and by the way, the TA05 is not a less expensive car - man, I can't understand people who confuse reasonably priced with cheap

Tamiya plastics are the stongest on the market - they are tanks in all sense of the word...

If you're playing around in a parking lot or street, go with the Tamiya - its cheaper, much more durable than the TC4 (for this usage), and comes with a sweet body - something the TC4 don't

As for upgrades for bashing, the stock Tamiya shocks are still better than some company's "upgrade" shocks - I'd stick with them for a while, or at least until you decide to seriously start racing
Old 09-30-2005, 05:54 AM
CAi
Tech Apprentice

Man... TC4FT ofcourse
Old 09-30-2005, 07:14 AM
Tech Master

Well, the other week, with a stock TA05 (OK, I had the TRF dampers on it, but that is much of a muchness realy) on Asphalt AND carpet, I beat, fair and square a TC5, FK05 and various other cars, only being beaten on both occaisions by a Carbon Tubbed MR4-SD (AEast conversion), and the only reason I can think of, is the weight difference. The weight difference between the TC4 and the TA05 is about 40grammes and the AEast and the TA05 is more like 110grammes.

Draw you own conclusions, but for me, the most bang for buck is the TA05, shell handles nice (F430) and is pretty dam strong.
Old 09-30-2005, 07:14 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by k_bojar
You are kidding right? oh, and by the way, the TA05 is not a less expensive car - man, I can't understand people who confuse reasonably priced with cheap

Tamiya plastics are the stongest on the market - they are tanks in all sense of the word...

If you're playing around in a parking lot or street, go with the Tamiya - its cheaper, much more durable than the TC4 (for this usage), and comes with a sweet body - something the TC4 don't

As for upgrades for bashing, the stock Tamiya shocks are still better than some company's "upgrade" shocks - I'd stick with them for a while, or at least until you decide to seriously start racing
X2
Old 09-30-2005, 07:23 AM
Tech Apprentice

Wow, awesome points made here. I think I'm starting to lean on the TA05's side. However, for playing around on the street, will the belt drive be more prone having stuff getting in there and causing havock as opposed to the TC4?
Old 09-30-2005, 07:27 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Seatbelt
Haha...no class. I will probably just be racing around with friends since I don't have time to race properly due to school. I could get the FT TC4, but since I'm going to be kinda "bashing" it around, I don't want to break any CF
the tao5 will suite you best! Heck why not just get a drift kit! Its more exciting!! I think TT01 has a drift kit and yokomo!

I'm waiting for the R version of the TA05---.
Old 09-30-2005, 08:42 AM
Tech Fanatic

Ok stop the material bashing. TA05 is using PA-GF plastic, not carbon reinforced, but still much stronger than the plastic used for other TA/TB car, which is PC.

I don't think stock TC4 using carbon reinforced plastic either, but I might be wrong on this.

edit: btw, TA05's carbon reinforced chassis is going to release soon, price unknow.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.