Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Going for some SPEED in a 10 Meter Drag Race >

Going for some SPEED in a 10 Meter Drag Race

Going for some SPEED in a 10 Meter Drag Race

Old 12-18-2014, 03:39 PM
Tech Initiate

Default Going for some SPEED in a 10 Meter Drag Race

Alrighty guys.
I was thinking of getting a pan car for some local drag races that we have at my LHS. Currently most people rock up with a brushless 3s traxxas slash with wheelie bars. Personally I am dragging with a 3s Lipo 13 turn 3300kv HBX Quakewave! (Best guess is 85 Kmph. ~50 Miles Per hour). I do alright but there is no wheelie bars for my car so i often just flip over on the start if I'm not careful enough.
Is there any pan cars that will handle a 35 Amp hobbywing 3300 KV Motor on 3s without needing new parts every time I go out?
I currently know zilch about pan cars so help is appreciated.
P.S. we stop by driving up a wall ~ 1 metre after the line. (There is a ramp)
Old 12-18-2014, 06:18 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)

Video please
Old 12-18-2014, 07:22 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

You want 4wd for the traction off the line. pancars are all rwd
Old 12-19-2014, 02:55 AM
Tech Initiate

I will see what I can do about a video.
Unfortunately I cannot max out anymore than a few seconds because the front tires balloon like no tomorrow and I cannot steer properly.
In regards to needing 4wd, my current car that I drag with now has no traction issues, as I have some nice soft buggy tires on. In fact if I am too aggressive I pull a big wheelie and tip over. Which is kinda why I am looking into a pan car. (They can't really accelerate too hard and tip over can they?)
Old 12-19-2014, 03:39 AM
Tech Regular

Greetings. When a pancar accelerates and when the aerodynamics has reached a limit it can flip over ,it's refered to as 'blowover' . @zyOOOOyz -can you make your own/buy a wheelie bar?; on 3s, you seem to have enough power to get pizza cutter-like fronts.The wheelie bar can put the power where it should be.

Last edited by oreo; 12-19-2014 at 03:52 AM. Reason: Specification.
Old 12-19-2014, 08:00 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by oreo
Greetings. When a pancar accelerates and when the aerodynamics has reached a limit it can flip over ,it's refered to as 'blowover' . @zyOOOOyz -can you make your own/buy a wheelie bar?; on 3s, you seem to have enough power to get pizza cutter-like fronts.The wheelie bar can put the power where it should be.
Yes, I made one out of lego but haven't had a chance to test it because I blew a shock night before last and haven't fixed it yet.
Later when school is back I might be able to use the laser cutter and custom make one out of 3 mill acrylic, then bend it into shape in the oven. My car is normally successful because it is really light. All of my car weighs about the same as the steering and chassis of a slash minus wheels and drivetrain. It was beaten a traxxas slash with a $200 motor/speedy by about 5cm, but my boost had just came on just before the end. If the race was 1 meter longer, I would have won... I have since reduced the timing.
Old 12-20-2014, 02:10 AM
Tech Regular

Greetings zy0000yz. Have you adjusted for squat. And then possibly , if rules permit, can you swap your four wheels/tires for those with a smaller diameter[possibly touring car foams-12mm hex]? Lessening the squat in an effort to keep the fronts ideally on the ground in conjunction with the non ballooning foams , the power can more consistently be transferred to the ground/carpet.
Old 12-20-2014, 07:43 AM
Tech Addict

what are the rules that can help us to better find a car to suit your needs
Old 12-20-2014, 03:17 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by rc car freak
what are the rules that can help us to better find a car to suit your needs
The rules are simple.
There is no rules except don't jump the line or run into the other car.
But they probably would not let you participate if you rock up with a savage flux (electric) or X0-1.
Most people there are running 3 cell lipo or less, one is running a 4, but he has a 1/8th car.
But my requirements are-
1. Not to expensive
2. Not to fragile
3. Has to be able to be used for something else than drag racing. I.e. can also go round a corner as well as in a straight line.
4. Must be able to handle 3 cell lipo on brushless 3300kv 13 turns.
5. Ideally the car would also be light for good acceleration.
6. Carbon fiber is not necessary.
Old 12-20-2014, 07:19 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

http://www.rjspeed.com look for part# 2003
Electric dragster pancar
Old 12-20-2014, 08:35 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by jsinclair
http://www.rjspeed.com look for part# 2003
Electric dragster pancar
Hmm.... Yes I have been to that site before and nosed through, but... Bushings... And do foam tires do well on carpet? And will a "normal" servo fit it with that funny steering? If it weighs less than what I have now... I'm sold.
Old 12-21-2014, 03:57 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Foam tires do very well on carpet , I'm %100 positive you could put bearings in no problem .
Old 12-21-2014, 02:41 PM
Tech Initiate

This is definitely on my list now. Unfortunately I am in Australia so postage seems to cost $50
Supposedly the whole kit in the box weighs 1 Kilogram, so maybe the dragster assembled less electronics weighs ~800 grams? Can someone confirm this please?
For comparison, my current drag car with everything less a battery weighs 1250 grams.
For now I will just learn some throttle control and maybe make a wheelie bar.
Old 12-21-2014, 10:34 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I've been an Rc dragracer for most all my Rc racing.. I currently hold 3 national records .. This past year I ran 100.2 mph in 11 inch wb door car with only a 2s battery in 132ft from standstill.. I personally wouldn't try with a rj speed car there fiberglass entry level cars. Id go with a drag race concepts car there all carbonfiber construction and lightweight..
Old 12-22-2014, 02:21 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by speedpro1
I've been an Rc dragracer for most all my Rc racing.. I currently hold 3 national records .. This past year I ran 100.2 mph in 11 inch wb door car with only a 2s battery in 132ft from standstill.. I personally wouldn't try with a rj speed car there fiberglass entry level cars. Id go with a drag race concepts car there all carbonfiber construction and lightweight..

But... For me, $250 US + Postage +Electronics (Which I can steal from my other cars) is far too much. Especially because I have my other car which is a money pit and a drift kit I want too. Not sure if you understand this, but the drag racing is indoors and only about 10 meters. I will just get myself a wheelie bar somehow and make do until I can find the spare cash. Congrats on your records!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.