R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 09-30-2005, 11:00 AM   #16
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

I would look on the parts issue's,How much and how hard is it going to be to get parts.For you Tamiya fans,sometimes it's not easy to get parts in the States,I know you can mail order but it is still nice to go to your LHS and get the parts right now.. If your just bashing both cars should be just about be equal,If the street or parking lot has any pebbles they can damage a belt(I have had that happen)I also know that on some of the parts you buy from Tamiya they come on a parts tree and cost a bit more..but you do have "extra" parts.. I think on the parts issue I would give the nod to Associated,I think Associated has the best parts support in the hobby industry..For bashing I know what my choice would be..it starts with a T..
Old 09-30-2005, 11:21 AM   #17
Tech Initiate

Living in The Netherlands the availability of Tamiya parts may be different than in the U.S.
But when I go to the LHS it is more expensive and when they don't have it, it will take at least one week to deliver. When I order Tamiya parts on e-shops delivery time is the same or faster.

Personally I have no experience with other brands, so I can't compair. But I'm very happy with the availabillity of Tamiya parts on the internet. I drive the TA05 mainly on circuits. And I have to say I like the car very much.

Alwin.
F1mechanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2005, 11:41 AM   #18
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to A-Ko

Just because one company might have better local part support does not always mean that your LHS would stock those parts. Not really trying to bash the comment just pointing out the reality.

If you are buying a Tamiya or any brand for that matter, I would get extras of most of the plastic parts. Arms, uprights, hinge pins and gearboxes usually come to mind. In a sense you become your own hobbyshop. In that way you don't have to sweat availability or being stuck with no track side parts support.

My choice is biased.
USVTA National Points Member #101
A-Ko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2005, 11:54 AM   #19
Tech Apprentice

you need to consider what kind of level you are in. if you're just starting or just dont care how you will run your rc i would suggest the tao5 or most tamiya kits. they're built for durability and the parts are cheaper to replace like hubs, arms, gears. when i started i used a yokomo ssg for shaft and losi xxxs for belt and i can tell you the parts aren't cheap and most hopups are more expensive than most tamiya kit hopup especially the arms and oneways.
anyone who hasn't reached a "good" level of controlling the car will crash. heck even experts crash. the ae,yokomo are made of lightweight,stiff parts which are made for pro racing while tamiya parts are soft and maleable perfect for bashing and clubracing. i also recommend looking at losi,xray and hpi. they're expensive but definitely as tough as tamiya kits. ae is just too breakable and i dont see the point of someone using it for bashing and having to spend a lot on replacing parts.
KillWency is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2005, 01:08 PM   #20
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Ok while were at it,Lets talk about how long Tamiya keeps their TC's in production and how hard parts are to find once production stops.Not meant as a bash just something to think about.I do own and race Tamiya's but here in the states when production stops so does the availability of parts.I have owned Associated cars and in my LHS's they do stock 99% of the Associated parts because next year Associated will still be making the car,I had bought a 415(very nice car.. )I have one of the original ones.The car is not that old..but in Tamiya years it's very old.. It's 3 models old now and soon it will be replaced.. with a different model.
Old 09-30-2005, 02:48 PM   #21
Tech Regular

Default choice

I have both brands, older models. AE tc3 and Tamiya tbo2.

the tc3 is now retired but i used it for racing, then bashing and drifting.

the TB02 is for racing tcs.

the only difference is all of the tamiya parts fit perfectly, and instructions are very easy to follow, The associated parts, some didn't fit and needed filing and or sanding. both are equally durable.

Both are excellent cars. you just have to chose one go have a blast.

personally I like the tamiya bodies, yokomo has some even more detailed drift bodies.
nagatahawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2005, 04:52 PM   #22
Tech Apprentice

My main concern now is that pebbles will fly in to the TA05 and break something in the drive train. Is there like a lexan cover or something that could cover the belt and stop this? like in the xxx-s?
Seatbelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2005, 06:49 PM   #23
Tech Regular

Default pebbles

get the tc4
Old 09-30-2005, 08:47 PM   #24
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by nagatahawk
both are equally durable..
Umm...i think i would be more confident to play chicken with your tbo2 than your tc3.
tc3 arms are so thin and brittle and also the shock tower easily breaks and screws unhinge in a crash. i've never seen a breakage from tamiya hitting the fence or roling 720 degrees on itself.
KillWency is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2005, 09:07 PM   #25
Tech Regular

Old 10-01-2005, 12:35 AM   #26
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_bojar
they are tanks in all sense of the word...
Yep...Heavy, ugly and slow! OWNED! LOL

I'd say if you are even thinking about racing, get a TC4. I have no problem posting the lap time guys with RDX's, XRay's, the newest batteries/tires & 3x my budget do with my Team TC4, 50+ run tires & 100+ run GP3300 packs. I just thought about that and its kinda scary but 100% true (If you take care of your tires at the track I run at you can get 70+ runs on a set before they are wasted)

BTW: Just messing with you Bojar The TA05 looks like an interesting car, I'm thinking about purchasing one if I get a chance to do outdoor next year
BlackKat is offline   Reply With Quote